Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parents just told me I'm fat then HAD A GO AT ME for getting upset. Watch

ReputationRep:
    According to the NHS BMI calculator, a 20 year old girl who is 5"8 and weighs 65kg has a BMI of 21.7. Anthing between 18.5 and 25 is defined as a healthy weight. Explain this to your parents! It is so unfair of them to treat you like that, especially as you have been underweight in the past. As someone said before, this can be how eating disorders start!

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    65!? You're a GUY! Jesus christ. Tell ur parents to **** OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Oh, sorry, just realized you never mentioned once which gender you have.. ah, well.. You're still not fat. And yeah, still tell your parents to get off your back! I get so annoyed when I hear things like this.. I know exactly how it feels.. God damn it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    It is your parents putting their issues on you which is wrong, when things cool down just ask them a question that will probably make them rethink things.

Ask "Why don't you like me?"

That should induce some sort of emotional reaction hearing their own child assume that they don't like them. When they reply, hopefully they will say how they love you etc, explain how they make you feel sometimes and hopefully it'll help them understand how you feel when they have a go at you for supposidly being fat. Because they probably don't realise how offensive some of their comment come across.
    Right, because being antagonistic and manipulative is a good way to solve any problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    It is your parents putting their issues on you which is wrong, when things cool down just ask them a question that will probably make them rethink things.

Ask "Why don't you like me?"

That should induce some sort of emotional reaction hearing their own child assume that they don't like them. When they reply, hopefully they will say how they love you etc, explain how they make you feel sometimes and hopefully it'll help them understand how you feel when they have a go at you for supposidly being fat. Because they probably don't realise how offensive some of their comment come across.
    You sound like a psychopath.

(Original post by Planto)
    Actually, it is the same. The only conceivable difference is the social stigma around being fat, which is irrelevant. Ultimately, being overweight means you are unhealthy, so if they're trying to get you to lose weight then they're just looking out for your health.

In that aspect, it is the same, I agree. However, the issue of weight hits a nerve with most females, like age, etc. So while most girls wouldn't think twice about someone telling them to stop biting their nails, they'd take it very personally and get insulted if someone told them they needed to lose weight. The difference is purely the emotional reaction (which is irrational but can't be helped), but it's there.

And I highly doubt its really affecting my health, I'm not even overweight, but I tent to put weight in the worst places, so it's unattractive. To them, it's purely aesthetic, which is what upset me. If there was a risk to my health and they approached me about that, I guarantee I wouldn't have minded so much. But they were literally telling me it looked ugly and wasn't bringing out my best.

(Original post by Ramanda)
    65!? You're a GUY! Jesus christ. Tell ur parents to **** OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Oh, sorry, just realized you never mentioned once which gender you have.. ah, well.. You're still not fat. And yeah, still tell your parents to get off your back! I get so annoyed when I hear things like this.. I know exactly how it feels.. God damn it..

LOL I'm a girl!

ReputationRep:
    if you're fat you're fat
    better your parents tell you than some random guys / girls on the street who will point and laugh at you and make you feel like ****
    and if you're parents are telling you this you must be fat because they see you everyday and would find it hard to see a difference
    use it as motivation to lose weight - what better motivation is there?

ReputationRep:
    You should tell your parents what your BMI is, they'd have nothing to say back to you.

ReputationRep:
    If you're trying to lose weight eating cup ncakes before bed isn't a good idea. other than that ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    If you are happy as you are then you need to tell them that, and tell them that you don't have to live up to other people's expectations of you. See if you can get an appointment with your doctor about losing weight; he will measure your height, weight and then tell you that as you have a BMI of 22, it would be healtheir to not embark on some weird fad diet. Surely if you doctor advises you not to lose weight, your parents will have to accept that fact that you are healthy as you are.

The only thing you can do is just not snack as much (or if you want to deceive your parents don't eat the snacks they have in the house - ask them to stop baking them/ buying them etc. and then if you want something unhealthy get it somewhere else). Seeing as it's them that wants you to lost weight tell them you want them to buy you a gym membership (or contribute heavily towards it) and try and make time to give you a lift to the gym as well. That way if they don't, at least they know they're partly to blame for how they perceive your appearance as well.

ReputationRep:
    Man up.

ReputationRep:
    Get to the gym and stop whinging on TSR! :rolleyes:
    And BMI is a load of **** I should be dead according to BMI!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thing is, I reallty elieve that they'd rather I was thin, and had some kind of eating disorder (very restricted calorie intake type, not the vomity type), than I be fat.

I eat really really healthily at meal times, and not too much, and I eat fruit. HOWEVER I'm not deluded about the fact that I eat too many snacks, and unhealthy snacks. So although recently I've been eating too much junky snacks, I still get nutrition from the healthy habits I've had all my life. So basically I'm healthier than when I ate nothing at all and became anaemic due to iron deficiency.

But they're so wrapped up in looks and superficiality, and other people's perceptions to them. My mum said, 'I want to be able to be PROUD of you when people see you, proud that you're my daughter. You're good looking, but you're ruining it by getting fat'

I just hate the idea that I'll somehow be worth more, or she'll APPROVE of me more if I'm slimmer, like I'm a showpiece or something, not a human with feelings and er, talents to show off instead.

And yes, she's the type of person who scoffs openly at the hippo mums waddling through morrisons.

how old are you?

your parents are harsh - leave home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophyy)
    Get to the gym and stop whinging on TSR! :rolleyes:
    And BMI is a load of **** I should be dead according to BMI!
    dont be a b***h, the girls upset. thats really not helping

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letia)
    dont be a *****, the girls upset. thats really not helping
    Tbh if she thinks that she's fat with a BMI of 22 and actually believes her parents then it's her own fault. You can't just live your whole life around what other people tell you about yourself.
    Plus I was being sarcastic hence the :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    Tell them to **** off, and you'll eat as many cakes as you want? It's not like you're 16 stone, damn...
    Ha ha! You would say that whith a username like 'Muffinz'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophyy)
    Tbh if she thinks that she's fat with a BMI of 22 and actually believes her parents then it's her own fault. You can't just live your whole life around what other people tell you about yourself.
    Plus I was being sarcastic hence the :rolleyes:
    "its her own fault"

and you want to be a future medic?

heard of the word empathy?

what you should do is just stop eating in front of them. They will then think you have an eating disorder that they induced and feel terrible

ReputationRep:
    My dad always used to go on about me gaining weight. I starved myself for a year. It didn't work as well as I'd planned though because when I'd made the difficult decision to stop obsessing over my weight, the comments started again.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.