Turn on thread page Beta

What do people who go think of college not sixth form? watch

ReputationRep:
    I stayed on at my 6th form. Then went back home and went to a local college. Two complete different styles and I rather the latter

ReputationRep:
    We didn't have the option of sixth form, so most of us had to go to college. I chose our closest one as it was practical and most of my friends were going there. I think it's great, it was a fresh start and a chance to meet loads of new people/lecturers. From what I've heard, you get much more independence in college than whilst at sixth form, as you really are left to your own devices as long as you get the work done. I've also heard that the lecturer/student relationships in college are far more casual/relaxed and they are more like friends to many of the students, whereas in sixth form I think you may still be stuck in a bit of a school environment. I reckon that college is a good step-up stage between school and university, as it's a mixture of the two.

our college does both A levels and vocational studies, and there really is something for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    college is for losers

ReputationRep:
    My school didn't have sixth form then, they do now. So half went to college when we left and the others went to a sixth form college in the next town. My first college I did A Levels at but it was too close to school. I supposed it felt too much like school even though I quite liked it. The one I've been at for three years now is really good for the subjects I've done. I've had a good time I don't think it should matter where you end up. Just study what you want to do.
    Both colleges I've been at, nobody has liked the Health and Beauty students. Haha.

ReputationRep:
    your thread title is confusing man lol

ReputationRep:
    For year 12 I went to my school's sixth form..it was the worst year of my life..the teachers treat you the same,the only difference is that you have to wear bloody formal wear..i hated going to school with blazer. The common room was dead. I absolutely hated my school's sixth form. Then I got kicked out because I got BCU. Now I go college and in Year 13,and loving it,I find it so much better and the facilities are better

ReputationRep:
    College is piss. No one tells you what to do. Only problem is that if you do any decent subjects you can guarantee that there will be some absolute retards in your class.

ReputationRep:
    I chose college because both the colleges near to me had a much higher pass rate than my school. Also, I think it would be weird to be 18 and still at a school with 11 year olds in.

ReputationRep:
    I chose (well am choosing) sixth form. The colleges around my area are pretty awful. I went on a tour to two (supposedly the best two in the area) and absolutely despised them. There seemed to be no structure and there was more emphases on vocational courses rather than a levels. My school doesn't have a sixth form though, so I pretty much applied for every private school scholarship going (and luckily got accepted into my closest one). There was a lot more variety of subjects I was interested in. Less mickey mouse subjects so to speak. And as there were high grade boundaries for those entering courses...a lot of people there actually wanted to learn. I also found there was a lot more of extra curricular programmes. (which is odd as its normally colleges that have those) Plus the general atmosphere seemed a lot nicer. But that's just my personal opinion. Overall though...college is a lot more relaxed. But it depends what you prefer really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ('',))
    The colleges near me are offer NVQs in beauty therapy and hairdressing. I'll stick with my sixthform thanks.

Edit: I got negged for this, you should have left your name.

All I meant was that, typically, the colleges near me are full of chavs. I'll stick with my sixthform thanks.

Edit: Double negged, I like this game.
    Ever think that not everyone goes to uni? I went hated it and dropped out. Currently have no plans to go back.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd have been happier going to a college.

However, the only decent colleges are really far away and involve multiple bus rides etc, which is why I didn't apply. Also my form tutor in year 11 basically lied to me about colleges.

ReputationRep:
    so what do you plan to do with yourself career wise now then?

ReputationRep:
    i actually changed from my school an dmoved to a sixth form but (its a bit confusing) the sixth forms not linked to a school so its like a college except the courses are only offfered to students between a certain age limit. And theyre probably both pretty similar but its nice to move and change your surroundings after 5 yrs stuck at school

ReputationRep:
    I went to college purely because at home there aren't any public sixth forms. There were 4 colleges within travel distance - one focuses on A Levels, one on vocational courses and the other two do a pretty even mixture of both.

The best thing about it was the freedom. We had to have a certain level of attendance, but apart from that there were so many less restrictions. We could wear what we liked and have whatever piercings/earrings/hair colour, and were trusted in communal areas etc. We were treated more like adults.

I'm currently at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. My school's Sixth Form is fantastic education-wise- we've had the best boys' results in Law for two years, and I wanted to take Law so I went with what I know. What I do miss is the opportunity I would have had to get out and meet people in college. About 2/3 of my year stayed on and the new kids aren't that fantastic. A few have dropped out and the rest are shocked at our Catholic strictness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob6709)
    Ever think that not everyone goes to uni? I went hated it and dropped out. Currently have no plans to go back.
    What? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend but I clearly did. All I meant was that I'd rather be in a place with people who have similar goals and aims to me. The people who go to the colleges near me don't, whatever works for them.

ReputationRep:
    I stayed at my school for sixth form as the only college that was better than my school was 3 bus rides away, meaning I would have leave my house at like 7.30 - the time I get up now =/.
    There are loads of colleges near me that offer some of the subjects I doing, but I stayed because I knew the teachers, knew my around and could get straight into my studies...andd I don't have to change the time I wake up...God...I love sleep =]

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to go to sixth form because I knew all my subject teachers, I had friends going there too, it's literally 10 minutes away walking and I just wanted to go to a sixth form.

The college in my area mostly does vocational and BTEC subjects, is about 15 minutes away by car or two bus rides and I was worried I wouldn't get as much support as I would at a sixth form. I still felt independent at sixth form by the way. Plus college people kept trying to convince me to go to college "as sixth form is ****" which made me want to stay there even more! :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    College = freedom
    School sixth form = academics (at a decent one anyway)
    Sixth form college = best of both...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taperjeangirl!)
    The people I know who went to LCC really didn't like it. I do know people who go to KGV in Southport though and they really seem to enjoy it I stayed in sixth form just because it was the easiest option to be honest, I don't regret it though.
    My sister goes to KGV! She really likes it but I could not be bothered with all that travelling every day at that age :no: she gets up at 6:30!!! And yeah Lcc sounds crap. I'm too lazy so I just stayed at my old school. It wasn't great, but Id have hated college. What school did you go to?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.