Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can government policy towards Native Americans before 1900 be justified? Was anything achieved?

I have no clue.
    They did the reservation policy, which failed, and the dawes act which effectively failed, but was that everything?

Thanks in advanced

ReputationRep:
    To the US it can be justified as allowing them to pursue their idea of Manifest Destiny. They cleared the Natives in order to develop the West which in turn helped bulid up the American economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vix007)
    Can government policy towards Native Americans before 1900 be justified? Was anything achieved?

I have no clue.
    They did the reservation policy, which failed, and the dawes act which effectively failed, but was that everything?

Thanks in advanced
    I would not say American Indian resettlement policies were justified but:

The policy of the US government was to set aside reservations where American Indian tribes would live apart from the whites. Government officials hoped that the tribes would settle down on these reservations, exchange their weapons (i.e. bows and arrows) for shovels and plows, and learn to support themselves like the white settlers by farming and ranching. Manifest destiny influenced this resettlement policy since the US believed the territory should cover the entire continent from coast to coast. Some tribes submitted to reservation life without struggle though others like Sioux Nation resisted.

Before 1900, American Indian tribes and the US government met together at many councils and made treaties with boundary lines marked. Certain lands were assigned to the tribes to have and hold forever – or, as the treaties often said, “as long as waters run and the grass shall grow.” Peace lasted only a few years because white hunters, miners, ranchers, and farmers would cross those boundary lines into Indian territory.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 31, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.