Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why would anyone have a problem with liberalism? watch

ReputationRep:
    This is something I've always struggled to understand. What reasons do people have for being against the liberal notion of allowing people to do what they want, provided they don't hurt others? Why would people be against equal rights for gay people, prostitution, drug legalisation, free immigration etc?

It seems that almost all of the opposition comes from people who want to preserve 'tradition' for tradition's sake. But what good has this line of thinking ever done anybody? Nationalism is a dangerous way of thinking. The thing that really annoys me is that religious people will oppose civil unions, for example, because it's 'against God's will'. The same goes for prostitution: why should anybody tell a woman what to do with her own body? If you don't like it, you don't have to do it.

Does anyone else find it annoying how people think they have a right to dictate what other people do with their own lives? Sometimes I wish these people would just stfu.

But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion. So tell me, why aren't you a liberal?

ReputationRep:
    Because free immigation doesn't fit the "notion of allowing people to do what they want, provided they don't hurt others".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    This is something I've always struggled to understand. What reasons do people have for being against the liberal notion of allowing people to do what they want, provided they don't hurt others? Why would people be against equal rights for gay people, prostitution, drug legalisation, free immigration etc?

It seems that almost all of the opposition comes from people who want to preserve 'tradition' for tradition's sake. But what good has this line of thinking ever done anybody? Nationalism is a dangerous way of thinking. The thing that really annoys me is that religious people will oppose civil unions, for example, because it's 'against God's will'. The same goes for prostitution: why should anybody tell a woman what to do with her own body? If you don't like it, you don't have to do it.

Does anyone else find it annoying how people think they have a right to dictate what other people do with their own lives? Sometimes I wish these people would just stfu.

But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion. So tell me, why aren't you a liberal?
    I'm a liberal, but I'd wager that it's because people like the 'old ways'- it's all they've known and were brought up on. Frankly, there's nothing wrong with liberalism. Freedom of opportunity for all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    Because prostitution, free immigration and drug legalization DO cause harm to other people.
    How does drug legalization cause more harm to other people than a drug ban?

ReputationRep:

:jumphug: i love everything you said

ReputationRep:
    Fear mainly. I would guess. Fear of change. Also religion and all sorts of other warped ideologies.

ReputationRep:
    Liberalism leads to the breakdown of society. Humans need restrictions placed on them otherwise they will destroy themselves through their own arrogance.

ReputationRep:
    In a lot of cases its because people are religious.

If you believe that the Word Of God is that homosexuality is bad etc, then you are not going to believe that a mere mortal has the right to argue that it should be legal, you will see it as blaspheming against God.

ReputationRep:
    You place far too much faith on the human race. We live to exploit other people. That's how we have always lived and that's how it's going to continue. It may wrong, immoral and unethical but it's not going to change anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    Gay rights - certain religious people believe God will hate them if they support gay rights.

Prostitution - is degrading to the people who do it, is wrong according to religion, is a taboo subject.

Drugs - are potentially dangerous, especially to those not educated enough about the risks to make a sensible decision.

Immigration - is an economic issue as much as a social one. Has an impact on employment etc. And some people are just racist.

I don't agree with any of that, I just wanted to point out that people do have reasons for what they believe. Not everyone wants to stop people being able to do whatever they want just for the hell of it; most of them time, things are regulated for a reason. A totally liberal society is a nice idea, but in practice it wouldn't work. I think social liberalism is great (gay marriage, drugs, sex, whatever), but when it comes to economic issues there has to be some sort of regulation.

ReputationRep:
    This is something I've always struggled to understand. What reasons do people have for being against the liberal notion of allowing people to do what they want, provided they don't hurt others?
    Society is a far more complex thing than liberals see it. In the pursuit of individual freedom, they restrict the freedom and ambitions of the group and put into practice ideas which have never built,maintained or expanded a civilisation. Much like communism, which liberalism is essentially a soft form of, it seeks only to break down and destroy in the name of "progress", "equality" and other related dogmas.

equal rights for gay people
    Depends what rights you are talking about. The right to live a life free from persecution? Sure.

The right to adopt children? Absolutely not.

prostitution
    Morally repugnant.

drug legalisation
    The job of a government is to look after their people. Other than abstract "freedom", what is to be gained from drug legalisation?

free immigration
    Diversity is perfectly well protected by the nation state, and in order to preserve this ethnic and cultural diversity on a global scale, large scale movement of persons is not desirable for anybody,including the immigrants themselves.

It seems that almost all of the opposition comes from people who want to preserve 'tradition' for tradition's sake. But what good has this line of thinking ever done anybody?
    Looking to the past as you build for the future has created western civilisation, along with most others. You most likely oppose tradition for opposing traditions sake, seeking to break down past traditions due to the current social/cultural atmosphere you are in.

Nationalism is a dangerous way of thinking.
    It's a beneficial way of thinking. Universalism is the ultimate evil.

"Communism kills the body. Liberalism rots the soul" - Tomislav Sunic.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have found your answer in some of the above posts: religion, luddism, selfishness, nosiness, intolerance, ignorance and bigotry are the main reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Drug legalization? Can you dis-ambiguise that vague statement please, in relation to which class of drugs you think should be legalised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)

Depends what rights you are talking about. The right to live a life free from persecution? Sure.

The right to adopt children? Absolutely not.
    please explain why?

Morally repugnant.
    Morals are debatible

The job of a government is to look after their people. Other than abstract "freedom", what is to be gained from drug legalisation?
    what do you mean abstract? let them destroy their own bodies no-one will shove coke up your nose, what about canibis?

Diversity is perfectly well protected by the nation state, and in order to preserve this ethnic and cultural diversity on a global scale, large scale movement of persons is not desirable for anybody,including the immigrants themselves.
    agreed immegration must be controlled or else a large movement could destroy the economy of the "host" and "donating" country

Looking to the past as you build for the future has created western civilisation, along with most others. You most likely oppose tradition for opposing traditions sake, seeking to break down past traditions due to the current social/cultural atmosphere you are in.
    i oppose some traditions as they are out of place, the world is different economicly, socially, culturally, and politically, some traditions just slow down the world.

It's a beneficial way of thinking. Universalism is the ultimate evil.
    well nationalism was the cause of both world war 1 and 2 what was the last great liberalism war?

"Communism kills the body. Liberalism rots the soul" - Tomislav Sunic.
    done points in bold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    Liberalism leads to the breakdown of society. Humans need restrictions placed on them otherwise they will destroy themselves through their own arrogance.
    have a pos rep from me...

ReputationRep:
    because there are different mindsets in the world, most people try to be a good person most of the time, they just happen to disagree on certain things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrea436)
    please explain why?
    That is not an environment in which a healthy child will develop.

Morals are debatible
    Absolutely, but that doesn't mean that the line should not be drawn somewhere. Morals are necessary,debatable or not, and there is no benefit,moral or otherwise, to legalising prostitution whatsoever. The only benefit could be through taxation, but economic consideration must always come after social desirability.

what do you mean abstract? let them destroy their own bodies no-one will shove coke up your nose, what about canibis?
    Abstract because nobody is free, and it is just a vague concept used to justify apathetic thought towards one's own people and their society. Just as a caring parent will do all they can to protect their children from harm, a caring elite/government should do all it can to protect the nation from harm- harm from within as well as without.

well nationalism was the cause of both world war 1 and 2 what was the last great liberalism war?
    War is always going to occur. The only difference is universalism/globalisation institutionalises division and conflict within societies rather than between them.

I would say liberalism also played a significant part in the recent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

ReputationRep:

Because people are insane and homophobic/ stupidly religious/ one of those americans/ just one of those ******** who has to have it their way ..... The list goes on. Nothing that goes on the list is anything you'd want to be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    That is not an environment in which a healthy child will develop.
    :rolleyes:

I actually agree with some of what you've said, but you can't go making claims like that without some kind of evidence. Oh wait, there is none.

ReputationRep:

Well i think that control of substances which can be abused is a good thing, but otherwise i agree with you

nationalism and traditionalism are just pathetic tbh

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.