Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Muscle Memory watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Up till the new year I had been following a workout a programme for about 5-6 months and I had seen quite large gains. Over the Christmas I didnt really go gym much and had a bad diet so lost quite a bit of muscle. Im back in my routine now again, but I was wondering with muscle memory how long rougly will it take me to get back to where I was. My current is better than what it was when I was working out the first time i.e protien etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Muscle memory is to do with the muscles recognising certain ways of contracting to perform certain movements, not to do with strength/size.

ReputationRep:
    How long is a piece of string?

ReputationRep:
    Yes muscle memory has nothing to do with mass, but it's related to strength as it is the capacity of how much efficiently you can contract your muscles. And, as you are not happy about your mass, listen. I have been not training for 3 weeks and I see reduction in my tricep and bicep size. Actually it's because the waste products (lactic acid etc.) which accumulated in your muscles and made them look bigger are now seeped, making your arms to their original size because of rest. This IS a good thing. Gaining serious mass isn't a matter of 5,6 months. And it also depends on which routine you follow and your diet. Hope it helped

ReputationRep:
    Not that you'd have gained too much mass in 5-6 months but muscle memory most certainly relates to muscular size. Look at the speed Kevin Levrone put back size on recently in his 'transformation.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    How long is a piece of string?
    about a foot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    muscle memory most certainly relates to muscular size.
    Yes, the others are talking *****.

I can not train for months at a time and then in 2 or 3 good workouts It looks like I added 20lbs and halved my bf%. The effect is tremendous. Once you've properly made gains, tbh they don't go away too easily, and if they do then they'll come back in no time at all.

for the OP - **** knows. Like someone else said, I doubt you've gained much yet anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    Not that you'd have gained too much mass in 5-6 months but muscle memory most certainly relates to muscular size. Look at the speed Kevin Levrone put back size on recently in his 'transformation.'
    IN-*******-DEED

Waiting for someone to say it, if you have a period of not training after a few months of training it wont take you near as long to put back on the gains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    IN-*******-DEED

Waiting for someone to say it, if you have a period of not training after a few months of training it wont take you near as long to put back on the gains.

I speak from experience, that is correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    IN-*******-DEED

Hey, you didn't say something retarded for once. I'm impressed. I see this all the time with my on/off relationship with working out. I do think you've got to of made substantial progress in the past for it to work though. **** gains wont come back any faster then you first got them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Hey, you didn't say something retarded for once. I'm impressed. I see this all the time with my on/off relationship with working out. I do think you've got to of made substantial progress in the past for it to work though. **** gains wont come back any faster then you first got them.

Oi...

Behave :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawshank)
    Muscle memory is to do with the muscles recognising certain ways of contracting to perform certain movements, not to do with strength/size.
    That makes complete sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Footballfiend08)
    Up till the new year I had been following a workout a programme for about 5-6 months and I had seen quite large gains. Over the Christmas I didnt really go gym much and had a bad diet so lost quite a bit of muscle. Im back in my routine now again, but I was wondering with muscle memory how long rougly will it take me to get back to where I was. My current is better than what it was when I was working out the first time i.e protien etc etc
    Muscle does retain 'memory'.

You'll gain the lost mass and strength back very quickly. Example: Kevin Levrone gained 5lb of muscle per week when he started bodybuild after his hollywood stint.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.