Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys and girls just wanting some advice on what you would do if you were in same position re: renting your own home currently and deciding to go in halls of residence

I currently rent my home via a social landlord (housing association) so technically speaking it is my home for however long i wish to live there, i currently live in Leeds in fact i am surrounded by the 1st year student accommadation for both Uni of Leeds (St marks) and Leeds Met (Woodhouse flats) and i have been given an offer by Leeds Met to study my degree there, but i am wanting to study at Manchester Met even though both Uni's have told me to simply pass my Access Diploma course.

My question is would you give up a 2 bed flat and move into Halls? or would by(plus some miracle work your arse off in part time employment and keep the flat and live in Halls still?? I only pay £360 a mth for the rent on my flat + the bills ie:water/gas/electric and phone/net access)in Leeds.
    I am really torn now over what to do especially given i have put time and money into decorating the flat since i moved in last June (2009).

My brother is a 1st year up at Stirling Uni and he has said that going into Halls is better esp during the 1st year and would help with gaining new friends etc
    I honestly dont know what to do any sound advice esp from anyone in same situation is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    If you've been lucky enough to get social rented housing, hang on to it!
    It may be worth talking to your HA to see if there is any way you can legally sublet if you go to Manchester (although I doubt they'd agree for 3 years). But don't think about subletting without permission, it's not worth the risk!
    I also think that a lot of people who have lived independently for some time don't necessarily enjoy halls that much - think how hideous it would be if you gave up your flat and then didn't enjoy halls.
    Hang on to it and just make a bit more effort to meet people through socities etc.
    Well, that's my opinion anyway!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would keep the flat. Like A/O said, social housing is like gold dust; it'll generally be much bigger and cheaper than anything you'd be able to rent in the private sector (and certainly bigger than, and quite likely cheaper than, a room in halls), and you have far more security of tenure than in any other rental situation. And you wouldn't have any certain prospect of getting social housing again (it would bne pretty unlikely, to be honest) so you'd very definitely be giving something up by moving away.

Yes, halls are a certain type of experience, but there are loads of other ways to meet people. I'd also say that living in halls can be quite challenging - not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but you do have to deal with things being very different to what you're used to, and it can be frustrating.

Anyway, whatever you choose, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    i'm in first year now and didn't go into halls straight away. i rented a flat for the first semester and have since moved into halls cos of problems with my flatmate. but if you have somewhere you like living i'd really consider keeping your apartment it's still possible to make friends at uni, it might take a little more effort but they're more likely to be people you WANT to spend time with because you aren't just friends with them because you happened to be put in a room next to them in halls, you know? there's so many opportunities to meet people during freshers etc. that, if you're a fairly friendly and outgoing person, it'll be easy to meet people.
    do whatever feels right, halls are sociable and fun but they aren't for everyone. and i don't know much about social housing, but like people have said, it seems you're lucky to have it and might not get anything similar again? also, look into the halls you would be staying in cos some are proper grimy and not very affordable at all considering they're for students.
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accomoffice)
    If you've been lucky enough to get social rented housing, hang on to it!
    It may be worth talking to your HA to see if there is any way you can legally sublet if you go to Manchester (although I doubt they'd agree for 3 years). But don't think about subletting without permission, it's not worth the risk!
    I also think that a lot of people who have lived independently for some time don't necessarily enjoy halls that much - think how hideous it would be if you gave up your flat and then didn't enjoy halls.
    Hang on to it and just make a bit more effort to meet people through socities etc.
    Well, that's my opinion anyway!
    Hello i checked my tenancy agreement i can sublet part of my home but not all of it and i have to inform the HA of this. But i think i would need to get some more information on the sublet process but at least thats an option and i could keep my home and have somewhere to come at weekends every now and then but at least its an option

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.