Student+ BF who isn't a student... Accommodation options?? Watch

Lolium
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I really want to attend UCL as a postgrad next year - haven't heard from them yet but even if I do get an offer a big part of deciding if i'll go there depends on the expenses. My bf will be coming with me and I know we don't qualify for couples UCL accommodation (not married) but I hoped that we could try some other student accommodation options in the private sector.. Is that even possible or does he absolutely have to be enrolled in some uni to share a studio with me??
MulderMan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I haven't heard of this, due to halls (public or private) being automatically exempt from council tax without you having to apply to the council for exemption.

You would probably be better off renting a studio privately.
lemily
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
me and my boyfriend weren't married and we got UCL couples accommodation at Prankerd House hall. We were both undergraduate students, but him at South Bank Uni. The other couples there did appear to be made up of both students.

You can try applying to International Student House (ISH) or to the intercollegiate halls (confusingly their couples accommodation in the form of flats is at International hall - different to ISH). There is also a place called Goodenough College which specifically accommodates postgrad families so they should be worth a look. There's also some good double studios located on Judd Street near UCL for about £240 a week. They are private but seem popular with students. We lived there for a year too.

As for private sector, you aren't really particularly looking for student accommodation. Its not like in other cities where there is a student and non-student accommodation. Basically there are a couple of issues. One is council tax. You will be exempt if you are studying full time, leaving your boyfriend liable for the whole amount minus 25% single person's discount (If it is just the two of you living together). Depending on the property it'll be about £100/month. If he is on a low income he could also try and apply for council tax benefit and/or housing benefit though the calculations for this would include your income too.

The second issue is some (but by no means all) letting agents will demand a guarantor from you regardless of age, but because you are a student. It is worth figuring out who you would get to do this for you, or find an alternative letting agent who won't ask.

I can't see much problem really.

Any questions, just ask.
Pink Bullets
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why would a landlord care if one half of a couple isn't a student? Seriously, just think this through logically.
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just go to any old letting agency and look at one/two bedroom properties (depending on your needs; some people need an extra room for storage). If one of you is a student and the other isn't then you'll get a reduction on council tax, but that's about it; since it's a two person house the rent per person will be much higher than a normal student house.

Also, I'm pretty sure you don't need to be married to live in couples accommodation, as plenty of people aren't married these days yet are in completely serious relationships. But maybe it's different at UCL.
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lolium)
I really want to attend UCL as a postgrad next year - haven't heard from them yet but even if I do get an offer a big part of deciding if i'll go there depends on the expenses. My bf will be coming with me and I know we don't qualify for couples UCL accommodation (not married) but I hoped that we could try some other student accommodation options in the private sector.. Is that even possible or does he absolutely have to be enrolled in some uni to share a studio with me??
You'd be better off just finding a private flat for the two of you. In most places you'll get a council tax reduction for yourself although obviously he's still liable to pay.

University accommodation is usually pretty pricey for what it is anyway, you'd be better off finding a private landlord.
Lolium
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
thank you so much for the replies... I do have a lot of searching to do. My main concern about the couples accommodation in UCL is that since the bf isn't a student and we're not married, how can UCL know that we're actually a couple and not just two lying buddies getting a cheap room?? Apart from UCL though, I was wondering if we could apply for accommodation in some sort of residence like Goodenough college that lemily mentioned... I know for sure that HIVE doesn't allow non students.. Well, I guess a private agent can do a much better job than me and I've already found a guarantor so that won't be a problem either..
Thanks again for taking the time...
ScottyLP
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Get married
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads