Is competition still going to be as fierce at Ox this year, as compared to Cam? Watch

jamieraser
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
All I've heard about this application year for Oxbridge was that it was a really terrible year to apply to Oxford. Apparently this is because of the new A* system at Cambridge which would've discouraged a lot of people from applying there (consequently apparently Oxford saw a 10% rise in application numbers).

This definitely fits with what I saw at my school where everyone who applied to Oxford was rejected without interview, and the people who applied for Cambridge both got interviews, with one of them eventually getting an offer.

My question is: do you think this trend will continue for 2011 entry? or will there be a backlash to applying to Oxford after this one bad year?

Sorry for the rambling!
yoyo462001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Competition is always fierce regardless of which year it is.
Cezmerelda
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cambridge give more interviews than Oxford anyway- think the figure is something like 95% for Cambridge and 70% for Oxford. Mind you I could be wrong
QED
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you're good enough, you'll have a good chance of getting in no matter where you apply. It'd be far more advisable to go for the 'better' course (in your opinion), or better city, or what other preferences you'd consider, rather than 'competitiveness', because they're both very competitive.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Cezmerelda)
Cambridge give more interviews than Oxford anyway- think the figure is something like 95% for Cambridge and 70% for Oxford. Mind you I could be wrong
I'm pretty sure that both universities don't interview a fixed percentage of applicants but a (loosely) fixed number of people. So naturally with applicant numbers rising every year, the percentage of people who are given interviews is bound to be going down. It's probably quite a long time since Cambridge actually did interview 90% of applicants, although that figure still keeps being bandied about. I really don't think they could feasibly interview over 14,000 applicants, though.
Clarity Incognito
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Cezmerelda)
It depends on the subject for Oxford, there are entrance tests that they use to cut down the volume of applicants and so in some cases the percentage for interviews is a lot less than 70% and in others it could be slightly higher. I don't know about Cambridge but 95% is an awful lot, I would assume they interview less.
TotalPoliticsNerd
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
remember, those who applied to Oxford instead of Cambridge this year because they were scared of the A*, were probably not the strongest candidates. They may not have seriously increased competition for places.
Game_boy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
I'm pretty sure that both universities don't interview a fixed percentage of applicants but a (loosely) fixed number of people. .
I think it's a fixed standard of person. As in, they interview everyone that may be capable of getting a place. That would be far more fair than either of those and was the impression I got.

To the OP, I'd say it doesn't matter how many applicants go to either, nor what grades they are asking for. They both have the same standards and fairness of application process, and your chances are the same either way. Choose based on course and whether you liked it.

At my school, 2 out of 3 got Oxford offers and 5 out of 8 got Cambridge. So even, though anecdotal evidence means nothing.
Tetra3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, the same thing happened at my school - loads of people chose Oxford over Cambridge as they didn't offer A* or look at module scores. Many were rejected without interivew due to the admissions tests and we had a lot more people get into Cambridge. I think it will even out again once people are more used to the A* system.
Cezmerelda
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
I'm pretty sure that both universities don't interview a fixed percentage of applicants but a (loosely) fixed number of people. So naturally with applicant numbers rising every year, the percentage of people who are given interviews is bound to be going down. It's probably quite a long time since Cambridge actually did interview 90% of applicants, although that figure still keeps being bandied about. I really don't think they could feasibly interview over 14,000 applicants, though.

Like I said, I could be wrong. Was just quoting what Cambridge told me on the phone when I rang them up about something just before my interview.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Game_boy)
I think it's a fixed standard of person. As in, they interview everyone that may be capable of getting a place. That would be far more fair than either of those and was the impression I got.
Yes, that's the ideal. It's only possible up to a certain point, though. There is a natural limit to how many people they physically can interview during the interview period, so unless the number of capable applicants remains fixed while the overall number of applicants is increasing, it simply won't be possible for them to interview *everyone* who may be capable of getting a place provided he does well at interviews.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?