Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lse is the best, anyone who says otherwise probs didn't get in

ReputationRep:
    this thread was dead too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Voice)
    No university is perfect and they will all have negative points, some more than others.
    Yes, all of which have different weighting

ReputationRep:
    being at lse for two terms now ive realised to be utterly truthfull the teaching is not of a very high standard especially for stats considering the low turn out rate and the gradual increase of people just falling to sleep or just not going to lectures anymore, i do believe many people have been to max 2 lectures in Lent term then stopped going, but there are outstanding lecturers such as Alwyn Young our Econ lecturer who in my opinion is truly amazing. All in all the people who got into LSE and survive are those that work work and WORK like crazy, they really put in the hours to do the work and that is the difference i believe between say oxbridge and lse. people at lse dont have the same amount of support and attention given at say oxbridge, all we have is a lecturer who goes top speed covering chapters in an hour, then we go back rack out heads till we get somewhere and do the hmwk then we go to class where nothing much is taught and then cycle repeats itself. thus students really do wonder what they are paying for, in my opinion perhaps not the teaching, nor the buildings but the work really pushes you to another level, level which is why LSE is L S E and why it has a international rep. Our content is much much harder than other unis and were barely given any support, so to come out wif a first , well that in itself says something. Basically u come to lse to do one thing only WORK and LEARN as u do the work. you are not spoonfed, you are not given any motivation watsoever, it is you and only you who decide what you get out of it in the end. (thats wat my academic tutor said to me anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristy888)
    being at lse for two terms now ive realised to be utterly truthfull the teaching is not of a very high standard especially for stats considering the low turn out rate and the gradual increase of people just falling to sleep or just not going to lectures anymore, i do believe many people have been to max 2 lectures in Lent term then stopped going, but there are outstanding lecturers such as Alwyn Young our Econ lecturer who in my opinion is truly amazing. All in all the people who got into LSE and survive are those that work work and WORK like crazy, they really put in the hours to do the work and that is the difference i believe between say oxbridge and lse. people at lse dont have the same amount of support and attention given at say oxbridge, all we have is a lecturer who goes top speed covering chapters in an hour, then we go back rack out heads till we get somewhere and do the hmwk then we go to class where nothing much is taught and then cycle repeats itself. thus students really do wonder what they are paying for, in my opinion perhaps not the teaching, nor the buildings but the work really pushes you to another level, level which is why LSE is L S E and why it has a international rep. Our content is much much harder than other unis and were barely given any support, so to come out wif a first , well that in itself says something. Basically u come to lse to do one thing only WORK and LEARN as u do the work. you are not spoonfed, you are not given any motivation watsoever, it is you and only you who decide what you get out of it in the end. (thats wat my academic tutor said to me anyway)
    You honestly think there is more work at LSE than at Oxbridge, and that it is harder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigFudamental)
    You honestly think there is more work at LSE than at Oxbridge, and that it is harder?
    That probably does depend on the subject. econ and econometrics -- **** yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    That probably does depend on the subject. econ and econometrics -- **** yeah.
    You mean econ and econometrics is harder and more work-intensive than its (closest) equivalent at Oxbridge or that it is harder and more work-intensive than anything at Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    LSE's workload is too small, really! Outside of quantitative stuff, where you'll have a couple of hours work per course each week. The teaching is a bit ****** - very hit and miss. The real gripe is with teachers who can barely speak English - however much time you spend going to office hours, you just won't get anything from them. And yeah, the number of postgrads and careers fairs etc. just doesn't really foster a welcoming atmosphere for the typical undergrad!

How do I know that? I was there for three years.

ReputationRep:
    hell no, im just saying i think they have more support perhaps in the manner of better teaching
    whereas at lse u r really relying on urself
    but its just my opinion no one has to agree or disagree

ReputationRep:
    Im willing to bet money that EC309 is probably one of the conceptually hardest undergrad courses in the country

ReputationRep:
    YOU ARE an EPIC LEGEND. (I'm really biased towards LSE cause I firmed like yesterday...so please don't attack me)

ReputationRep:
    ermm do you know if the experience differ for postgrads?

On another note, do you know how many undergrad apply to Goldman Sachs each year and and how many gets in? I heard it's published in The Beaver somewhere :o:

ReputationRep:
    For post grads it's exactly the same, sub-standard teaching (one of our classes got cancelled due to an extremely low turn our!), the support network is minimal, class teachers who struggle to speak English etc etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxczxc)
    LSE's workload is too small, really! Outside of quantitative stuff, where you'll have a couple of hours work per course each week. The teaching is a bit ****** - very hit and miss. The real gripe is with teachers who can barely speak English - however much time you spend going to office hours, you just won't get anything from them. And yeah, the number of postgrads and careers fairs etc. just doesn't really foster a welcoming atmosphere for the typical undergrad!

How do I know that? I was there for three years.
    did you fail?

the work load is small and is generally easier than the exams so to do well in them you really need to bust your balls revising over Easter.

ReputationRep:
    You mean econ and econometrics is harder and more work-intensive than its (closest) equivalent at Oxbridge or that it is harder and more work-intensive than anything at Oxbridge?
    the first part. i would assume e.g. physics/maths (medicine for the sheer workload) are equal if not more.

however, it also depends on what modules you choose. there is quite a bit of leeway to choose 'easy' modules as an econ student at LSE. so if you choose that path (as many IB will do) then i really doubt there is that much difference.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed - hard work will get you further. But hard work with right mentoring will get you much much further! LSE has good graduate program. Thats it. Hence I did not bother with undergraduate program. They do had / have good reputation but I do not know for how long. Unis like Warwick are making big strides - and have a feeling they might overtake LSE in next 2-3 yrs unless LSE pull up thier teaching standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naddles)
    For post grads it's exactly the same, sub-standard teaching (one of our classes got cancelled due to an extremely low turn our!), the support network is minimal, class teachers who struggle to speak English etc etc!
    Agreed. Next to no help at all, ultimately assumed we will grasp and pick things up quickly.

Pretty much means you'll turn into a work horse. Most people end up working ALL of the time to get everything done. Work is literally DUMPED on you (I speak as an arts student) and then you'll get a bunch of assessed work on top of that and then exams and then usually a dissertation at postgrad.

Woohoo.

Oh and next to no support.

Saying that my department did throw us a nice end of year soiree.

ReputationRep:
    Yo dudes. Its post grad. The time for fun and pissing about every day is over. Not that im defending the teaching or sth, but it seems you guys just want everything on a silver plate.

Also that guy who said lse doesn't have good ug programs - lol. Refrain from commenting when you're still doing a-levels thx.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astudent)
    Yo dudes. Its post grad. The time for fun and pissing about every day is over. Not that im defending the teaching or sth, but it seems you guys just want everything on a silver plate.

Also that guy who said lse doesn't have good ug programs - lol. Refrain from commenting when you're still doing a-levels thx.
    :toofunny:

dontcha just love TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumb Economist)
    Agreed - hard work will get you further. But hard work with right mentoring will get you much much further! LSE has good graduate program. Thats it. Hence I did not bother with undergraduate program. They do had / have good reputation but I do not know for how long. Unis like Warwick are making big strides - and have a feeling they might overtake LSE in next 2-3 yrs unless LSE pull up thier teaching standards.
    Wanna bet on that? How much money you got?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.