Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Spoon feed? Really, I find that hard to believe speaking to undergraduates who are current students/or postgraduates like myself. Nothing is spoon fed to you here and teaching is well, something to be desired.

LSE largely gets away with it b/c of the calibre of people applying, yes there is a dichotomy of people who are exceptionally hard working and are probably in the library burning that midnight candle, but there are a fair few people who party extremely hard and still do brilliantly academically. So the teaching doesn't stop people doing well at all. Anyways, isn't university about independent study?

That aside, people do spend alot of time mulling over what they want to do with their lives and career but its almost a bit of a bubble b/c people don't actually have any real life experience of what goes on after school and graduation are over.

Thats not to say the LSE isn't great (it is but there are some annoying aspects to it) but if you're not after an institution that is famed for its competitive atmosphere then you may have a better time elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    you know to be honest i dont see much competitive atmosphere in LSE as most people claim, to be honest its more like loads of people are really hardworking, not really competitive, competitive will b i wont share my thought and ideas with anyone else but myself attitude, but at LSE well at least in my social network people are always discussing in groups, they all want to succeed but they have the i will help you succeed too attitude so not really competitive, i would say.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Okay, just to confirm here. Is LSE teaching bad, full stop? Just bad. Or is it bad compared to other top universities? But still good compared to a lot of places? You guys still get online resources and books and lots of exercises to do and teachers to ask for help, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallon)
    Okay, just to confirm here. Is LSE teaching bad, full stop? Just bad. Or is it bad compared to other top universities? But still good compared to a lot of places? You guys still get online resources and books and lots of exercises to do and teachers to ask for help, right?
    I think it's just people come from being spoon-fed their A-Levels and then have to motivate themselves, which comes as something of a shock. But it is more hands-off than most unis from what I've heard from current students; they just set you a task and won't actively help unless you go and find them.

That's the way it should be at uni though IMO :yep:

ReputationRep:
    People seem to think that going to LSE is a trade-off between very prestigious degree and a social life. You can have both. I certainly have, and I know a lot of people who have too. Yes the workload is heavy but as long as you have vaguely reasonable time management skills (which to be honest most people will have, you kinda need it to get in to begin with) and you are happy to put in a few hours a week, it's absolutely manageable. I spent the first two terms partying non-stop, the social life is really good. I think what helps is being in a big hall - smaller halls tend to be more limited because there are fewer party animals
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Woolcott)
    I think it's just people come from being spoon-fed their A-Levels and then have to motivate themselves, which comes as something of a shock. But it is more hands-off than most unis from what I've heard from current students; they just set you a task and won't actively help unless you go and find them.

That's the way it should be at uni though IMO :yep:

Good thing I come from a pretty average school so I'm used to it then :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Its not bad.

It has a massive variance though (it being quality of teaching).

E.g. I have one teacher I think is ****.

And yet my micro teacher is a Legend. He increased his office hours, and after we finish we just chat, about his Phd work, the lecturer(s) and just random things.

Also, yes, you do have weekly exercises and can go ask your teachers and lecturers about them and whatever.

The issue many people have with teaching is that there are quite a few teachers who are just rubbish teachers.

Either they cant speak English very well, or they just can't communicate well / explain well enough for you to be able to understand.

And then you also find some that you know are just doing it because they need money and dont put in a lot of effort.

ReputationRep:
    ....Could you not say the same about quite a few teachers anywhere though? At school, I can highlight the 'good' and 'bad' teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xrxyxaxnx)
    ....Could you not say the same about quite a few teachers anywhere though? At school, I can highlight the 'good' and 'bad' teachers.
    I agree.

But when I say this then people would just say your biased because you go there.

But nevertheless, the teaching satisfaction is 10% less than at the other top unis. I guess thats a reason why people say teaching is crap.

So one would assume there are more bad teachers at LSE than elsewhere.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by danny111)
    I agree.

But when I say this then people would just say your biased because you go there.

But nevertheless, the teaching satisfaction is 10% less than at the other top unis. I guess thats a reason why people say teaching is crap.

10% less than at other top unis? So LSE is still a good teaching place compared to most places?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    I agree.

That's probably it, but do you think LSE get more "foreign" lecturers than other unis?

ReputationRep:
    As long as LSE is close to booze, whores and gambling, I'm satisfied.

ReputationRep:
    10% less than at other top unis? So LSE is still a good teaching place compared to most places?
    Hes refering to think link I think: http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...rsityguide.php

click student satisfaction then it will list in order

Take this table lightly

ReputationRep:
    depends how you see it.

cambridge is 86% satsifaction, LSE 73%.

but if you look chichester and hull are both 81%

what does say?

In fact, after Oxbridge the next of the top economics unis are Warwick and UCL - both with 77%. is that significantly more than LSE's 73?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 19, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.