Turn on thread page Beta

Hotmail and student finance watch

ReputationRep:
    You probably haven't noticed, but underneath the 'login' and 'get login details' button theres a discreet little message explaining that should you request your login details sent to your hotmail or windows live account, you wont get them, and after you've done this, theres nothing you can do other than 'contact your service provider', which is impossible because there is no phone or email for hotmail, (they'll tell you to contact microsoft- good luck with that).

Then again everyone except me probably read the entire page before clicking on the login page, or everyone remembered their password, but if you haven't, and you now find yourself in a situation where you now can't apply for your student loan until student finance sort this out (which will be never), call student finance up and badger them until they let you change the email address your password has been sent to (this can be done, but it will take persuasion, because student finance really can't care less about you) . they'll ask you security questions (fortunately NOT your secret password and answer) and you can get on with your application.

ReputationRep:
    i rang them up yesterday, had no problems, they switched my email address and told me to request a new password after 5 minutes which i did and have now completed my application. no badgering required. (:
    all the security questions were a pain but the person i spoke to was really friendly and patient especially as i can hardly speak due to a throat infection.

ReputationRep:
    im happy for you then! maybe i was just unlucky

ReputationRep:
    i have this similar problem. I did all of this. I then rang up and asked them to change my email address. I think the woman entered it in incorrectly because it still doesnt work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vimms29)
    im happy for you then! maybe i was just unlucky
    yeah maybe i was at least you have it sorted now though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
    i have this similar problem. I did all of this. I then rang up and asked them to change my email address. I think the woman entered it in incorrectly because it still doesnt work.
    have you tried requesting a new password and entered the new email address where it asks you?

ReputationRep:
    I just rang them up and she said you can't do it over the phone it has to be online and that they don't know when it'll get fixed so if you have a hotmail accout, you'll be able to do it. That was after the second time of ringing cos the first person decided to hang up.
    Nice to see customer sevice has improved.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charla)
    I just rang them up and she said you can't do it over the phone it has to be online and that they don't know when it'll get fixed so if you have a hotmail accout, you'll be able to do it. That was after the second time of ringing cos the first person decided to hang up.
    Nice to see customer sevice has improved.
    ring them again and ask to change the email address for your account (then change it to one which isn't hotmail) and if they say you can't, tell them that you know of several people who have done this is in the last couple of days since the technical fault occured :yep: i didn't realise how lucky i was to have the experience i did with regards to customer service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bringmesunshine)
    have you tried requesting a new password and entered the new email address where it asks you?
    Yup Did it yesterday, and still I haven't received the email, so gonna have to try and ring again I think.

ReputationRep:
    Ah damn it, I tried to log in and can't actually remember my password and secret question answer and now it is locked. I think I was right what I put as I then discovered that caps lock was on. :\

Is it both with the customer reference and resetting of password that don't work as either we reset my account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Ah damn it, I tried to log in and can't actually remember my password and secret question answer and now it is locked. I think I was right what I put as I then discovered that caps lock was on. :\

Is it both with the customer reference and resetting of password that don't work as either we reset my account.
    they are having problems sending emails to any hotmail or live account. it is probably worth giving them a ring and seeing what they can do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
    Yup Did it yesterday, and still I haven't received the email, so gonna have to try and ring again I think.
    good luck, it looks like a lot of people are having trouble with the customer service at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    good luck, it looks like a lot of people are having trouble with the customer service at the moment.
    Oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    they are having problems sending emails to any hotmail or live account. it is probably worth giving them a ring and seeing what they can do
    They won't be open today will they?

Guess I'll ring them during the week and just ask them to change it to my school email adress while I'm at it.

ReputationRep:
    That seems to be a general problem with hotmail email. They seem to have a habit of just dropping random emails without telling anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Hotmail worked fine with my student finance. It was in the junk folder though, but then I clicked it's not spam and now all student finance emails get delivered to inbox. : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    They won't be open today will they?

Guess I'll ring them during the week and just ask them to change it to my school email adress while I'm at it.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Dire...acts/DG_172310

it says they are open today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parasitic)
    Hotmail worked fine with my student finance. It was in the junk folder though, but then I clicked it's not spam and now all student finance emails get delivered to inbox. : )
    there is a technical fault which means that currently they are unable to send emails to hotmail and live accounts

ReputationRep:
    Im in the queue on the phone!

ReputationRep:
    Just got off the phone... what an arsey advisor, I bet this is what they've been doing all day.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.