Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, i do apologise if this is in the wrong forum.

We have a group presentation to do for my A-level History course about how americanized we are. Everyone else has got things like music and art, whearas i've drawn the short straw with politics. So my question is:

How americanized are british politics?

Thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    Recent propositions of televised debates.
    Prime minister acting with presidential power - Blair bypassed most of Cabinet and parliament over Iraq.
    Separation of judiciary from legislature and executive with the establishment of the Supreme Court - just like the USA's.
    Speculation over the introduction of a Bill of Rights in the UK, mirroring the USA's codified constitution.
    Tenuously: the proposed reform of the House of Lords meaning a fully elected check and balance over the executive.

ReputationRep:
    Not very. The President doesn't have to listen to his Cabinet, whereas the Prime Minister has to take into account the Cabinet. The PM has to draw Ministers from Parliament too, where as in the U.S this cannot happen.

However, elections are increasingly Prime Minister oriented, the Prime Minister has gained considerable power from his cabinet since the 1800s (when he was the chairman of the Cabinet and they all ran the country together) and Blair and Thatcher increasingly used methods to bypass Cabinet such as bilateral meetings which is essentially the PM bullying a Minister (the Cabinet isn't there so cannot "stick up" for him/her).

One key thing, Parliament is sovereign in Britain. In the U.S the people are sovereign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alecangeltess)
    Recent propositions of televised debates. Not particularly American, it's a pretty worldwide thing
    Prime minister acting with presidential power - Blair bypassed most of Cabinet and parliament over Iraq. - Agree
    Separation of judiciary from legislature and executive with the establishment of the Supreme Court - just like the USA's. - Not really Americanised, most countries already had a separate Supreme Court, and it has different functions.
    Speculation over the introduction of a Bill of Rights in the UK, mirroring the USA's codified constitution. - Bill of Rights 1689. We done it before them.
    Tenuously: the proposed reform of the House of Lords meaning a fully elected check and balance over the executive. - Most other bicameral parliaments already elect their second chambers, it's not particularly American.
    My view. A lot of things we perceive as American aren't really. The media dominance of the U.S just makes us perceive this as being 'Americanisation'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teh User)
    My view. A lot of things we perceive as American aren't really. The media dominance of the U.S just makes us perceive this as being 'Americanisation'.
    Televised debates: they do carry an American stigma with them, but I concede.
    I was referring to the judiciary separation as the 'Americanisation' of exec/jud/leg.
    I refer to a contemporary Bill of Rights for the whole of the United Kingdom.
    RE HoL, yes, hence the tenuously! But it does hark back to the separation thing.

But yeah, mainly the parliamentary/presidential government disctinction remains strong.

ReputationRep:
    Separation of Powers / Fusion of Powers
    Elected Senate / Unelected Lords
    Codified Constitution / None
    Supreme Court / EU Court
    No manifestos / Salisbury convention

(US / UK respectively)

PM is stronger in domestic affairs, President in foreign.

ReputationRep:
    The use of 'celebrity' campaigners i.e. Blair's recent statement to operate some spin and campaign for Labour.
    Since the Suez canal fiasco we've kinda been in their back pocket through fear then again they are our child nation.
    Increasing power of elected PM (think this has been mentioned).
    A big opposite would be the lack of a clear political spectrum since Thatcher, we've no left option so to speak (which is of course a good thing).

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.