Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weird thoughts regarding exercise watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys and gals

I'm a 1st year LSE Economics Undergraduate and I'm finding the course ok. But since moving out into London, I joined the local gym and I train 6 days a week. I was a regular gym user back home and I'd train about 5 days a week. The strange thing is that I used to train as a hobby, but since moving out all I seem to want to do is bodybuild. I think about going to the gym every day when I should be working, and when I'm in the gym I don't want to leave but I do because it'd be unhealthy, and weird to stay. I think about going twice a day sometimes. Do I need to snap out of it and focus on my studies, or could this gym craze contain a hidden message that I shouldn't be at university?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gooj)
    Hello guys and gals

I'm a 1st year LSE Economics Undergraduate and I'm finding the course ok. But since moving out into London, I joined the local gym and I train 6 days a week. I was a regular gym user back home and I'd train about 5 days a week. The strange thing is that I used to train as a hobby, but since moving out all I seem to want to do is bodybuild. I think about going to the gym every day when I should be working, and when I'm in the gym I don't want to leave but I do because it'd be unhealthy, and weird to stay. I think about going twice a day sometimes. Do I need to snap out of it and focus on my studies, or could this gym craze contain a hidden message that I shouldn't be at university?

Thanks
    You´re not thinking about shagging a grapefruit too are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Nope. That's REALLY funny

ReputationRep:
    take a break. go 4/3 times a week

ReputationRep:
    hahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gooj)
    Hello guys and gals

Thanks
    Uni comes before gym. Case closed. However why the hell are you training for six days. You only really need to be in there for three/four days to build good mass. Less is more.

ReputationRep:
    You can't be training right if you're able to go 6 days a week...
    Go 3 times a week and just work out more. You build mass on your rest days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pickford)
    You can't be training right if you're able to go 6 days a week...
    Go 3 times a week and just work out more. You build mass on your rest days.
    But I don't train legs, so I do 2 days a week on arms, and shoulders. And 1 day chest, 1 back. My body recovers, I take creatine and protein separately. I read that overtraining the small muscles like arms and shoulders are possible so I spread the workout over 2 days. And I go hard on the big muscles once a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gooj)
    But I don't train legs, so I do 2 days a week on arms, and shoulders. And 1 day chest, 1 back. My body recovers, I take creatine and protein separately. I read that overtraining the small muscles like arms and shoulders are possible so I spread the workout over 2 days. And I go hard on the big muscles once a week.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    I think you feel a certain pressure to muscle up. I don't know but I suspect your natural build is fairly slim and you are not tall. In which case you are overcompensating. You are hurting yourself by not giving your body a rest after each session. Only go 3 times a week max. Taking these powders is a waste of time. You need to get protein from eggs, milk, chicken, soya, fish, lean beef etc.
    You go to the gym so much because you like it there. You feel at home. But you will encounter meatheads there. In an attempt to bulk up you may be tempted to buy anabolic steriods off the net. Going to the gym is not a sport. I would encourage you to take up cycling, swimming, golf, football, athletics, rugby, cricket, rowing, tennis, squash whatever.
    I can promise you that if you don't attend lectures and seminars because you want to use a multigym you will fail your course
    Maybe you won't like anything I have said but I would say exactly the same thing if you were my brother.

ReputationRep:
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gooj)
    Hello guys and gals

Thanks
    It can take over your life. The diet and lifting aspect. I think about it a lot too. But realise you have other things going on in your life that you need to take care of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by codcod)
    Why?
    I don't train legs as I used to do karate, and I did it for 10 years. I represented the UK in regional and international competitions, and the training was very leg-intensive. Further, I used to be fat, and so have fat thighs. What karate did is stop them from becoming slim and just made into muscle. I have about 1mm skinfold on them, and I can't wear jeans as they're too tight (without wearing a ridiculous waist size). If I train legs I'm worried they'll get bigger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesF87)
    I think you feel a certain pressure to muscle up. I don't know but I suspect your natural build is fairly slim and you are not tall. In which case you are overcompensating. You are hurting yourself by not giving your body a rest after each session. Only go 3 times a week max. Taking these powders is a waste of time. You need to get protein from eggs, milk, chicken, soya, fish, lean beef etc.
    You go to the gym so much because you like it there. You feel at home. But you will encounter meatheads there. In an attempt to bulk up you may be tempted to buy anabolic steriods off the net. Going to the gym is not a sport. I would encourage you to take up cycling, swimming, golf, football, athletics, rugby, cricket, rowing, tennis, squash whatever.
    I can promise you that if you don't attend lectures and seminars because you want to use a multigym you will fail your course
    Maybe you won't like anything I have said but I would say exactly the same thing if you were my brother.
    To be honest, I don't feel any pressure, I just genuinely enjoy it. I'm about 5'9", and I don't have a slim build. I'm bulky, and I had one of the best bodies on the UK karate team. I see what you're saying though, and thanks for the tips. But even on the karate team I'd train at least 5 days a week, and I've done that for 6 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gooj)
    I don't train legs as I used to do karate, and I did it for 10 years.
    You´re an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    You´re an idiot.
    Nice argument. You're so witty with your short and concise judgement. Why am I an idiot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gooj)
    I don't train legs as I used to do karate
    You must be the stupidest LSE student ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korektphool)
    You must be the stupidest LSE student ever.
    Thanks for answering the question, doofus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gooj)
    I don't train legs as I used to do karate, and I did it for 10 years. I represented the UK in regional and international competitions, and the training was very leg-intensive. Further, I used to be fat, and so have fat thighs. What karate did is stop them from becoming slim and just made into muscle. I have about 1mm skinfold on them, and I can't wear jeans as they're too tight (without wearing a ridiculous waist size). If I train legs I'm worried they'll get bigger.
    That was one of the worst excuses I have ever heard in my life, and I've heard some bad ones.

-My legs have AIDS
    -I'm paralysed from the waist down
    -I train for girls
    -I dont train legs as I used to do karate

Your fail places well, keep up the ****** work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    That was one of the worst excuses I have ever heard in my life, and I've heard some bad ones.

-My legs have AIDS
    -I'm paralysed from the waist down
    -I train for girls
    -I dont train legs as I used to do karate

Your fail places well, keep up the ****** work.
    Do you normally start reading and stop halfway through an explanation? The point is I don't want my legs to grow in size anymore. Any training on them will make them increase in size. If your legs are like toothpicks and you don't lift weights you wouldn't have any ideas. Go to Argos and buy yourself a 5kg dumb-bell pyramid, you tool.

Don't get cocky, you fool.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.