Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Death of relative prior to exam.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    how do you appeal for an increase in marks for an exam??? should it be done when results have come back?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not - that's too late! Tell the exam coordinator person in your school what happened before the exam if possible. It may not be too late if you tell them immediately after.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

ReputationRep:
    You can have marks increased in exams? WTF?

ReputationRep:
    up to 5% I think, on a sliding scale depending on the reason.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's a load of bull ****. Marks should be given for right answers, an extension/time off or similar for any circumstances such as this.

Education system be stoopid.

But that's another thread.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7355973.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7355973.stm
    Lawl at witnessing a distressing even on exam day getting less of a bump-up than the death of a person's cousin's cousin.

ReputationRep:
    During my GCSEs I had awful migraines every few days, so asked for special consideration. It would have been very easy to abuse the system (though I didn't)... but obviously doing an exam when I could barely read/think was not a true reflection of how I could have done normally. So I reckoned it was fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotalPoliticsNerd)
    During my GCSEs I had awful migraines every few days, so asked for special consideration. It would have been very easy to abuse the system (though I didn't)... but obviously doing an exam when I could barely read/think was not a true reflection of how I could have done normally. So I reckoned it was fair enough.
    how did you appeal or w/e? my exam was 8 days ago......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will1992)
    how did you appeal or w/e? my exam was 8 days ago......
    I think it's slightly different for medical problems, I had to get a doctor's note beforehand (so I could take time out if necessary) and then every time I had a migraine in an exam i had to go straight to the docs afterwards to get another note.

I think you may have missed your window if it's 8 days (did you sit it on a friday?) as I think you have up to a week after the exam

My very good friend is in a similar situation (horrific death of a close relative) so I know this is a tough time to be sitting exams. Nobody's expecting you to be at your best, and there are always retakes.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.