Turn on thread page Beta

Which gender is more likely to cheat? watch

• View Poll Results: Which gender is more likely to cheat?
    Male
    58.24%
    Female
    41.76%

ReputationRep:
    There have been a landfill of threads on this forum recently about 'I cheated on my bf/gf' or something along the lines, and I'm led to ask the following question:

Who is more likely to cheat; which gender?

I'm a member of quite a few BBS's and other forums, and these kind of threads are all too common indeed. It's typically the same story behind all the exposures; how the other half found out etc, but it happens all too frequently.

I ask because my friend of 14 years had just lost a girl he had since year 11 (5 years nearly), because she cheated on him. Strong 'what the ****'. (note I am not making the assumption woman primarily do this, just an example that has affected the people in my life.)

We all probably know someone who has done something that would be considered cheating before, whether you found out through gossip, or unfortunately; you were the one who experienced the effects of infidelity.

I'm not going to say what I think right now (to avoid potential **********), I'll wait to see how it unfolds. Oh, and related topics are welcome. No blatant slander please.

EDIT: There will never be a conclusive verdict per se, but the tally from the poll on this forum will cover the student demographic fairly well, if not make a very strong pointer in the direction (I imagine the result will be fairly even).

ReputationRep:
    I'd be inclined to think guys. Simply because they have a higher sex drive and are more likely to be getting less sex than they want in a relationship. But obviously lots of women cheat too - I think when men cheat it tends to be more about a lack of sex, when women cheat it tends to be about a lack of emotional connection with their current partner.

ReputationRep:
    I certainly think girls are less likely to get caught.

Not sure which gender cheats more.

Put a poll in!

Edit: there is one, sowwy.

Edit: that's a stupid poll. It should read 'I am female and I have cheated', 'I am female and I have not cheated', 'I am male and I have cheated', 'I am male and I have not cheated'.

(Original post by iamkund)
    Could you change it please?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the exact statistics but I am pretty sure they'd show that guys cheat more.

ReputationRep:
    Gender has nothing to do with it, so I can't vote.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I reckon, most guys would say females cheatmore, and more girls will say males cheat more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)

Not necessarily. I think they're less likely to be suspected of cheating and therefore perhaps don't get caught as easily...but because girls can become pregnant they're all the more likely to be caught out, where as guys can sleep with as many and not show any signs at all.

ReputationRep:
    I figured this thread would warrant personal experience rather than a projected stab in the dark. As a stab in the dark is essentially useless. Like I said in the OP, I think everyone has known someone/a friend of someone/other who has cheated/been cheated on.

Following this knowledge, you should make your decision. Saying 'I think' due to 'x' reason is completely pointless. Facts garner results, not speculation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)

Put a poll in!

Edit: there is one, sowwy.

Edit: that's a stupid poll. It should read 'I am female and I have cheated', 'I am female and I have not cheated', 'I am male and I have cheated', 'I am male and I have not cheated'.
    No, that's irrelevant. I say this because it ultimately comes down to one sex. I'm not looking to blame her based upon circumstances. Obviously one half of a relationship cheats initially, and that's all that matters here.

ReputationRep:
    men, we do what we want more. it seems women are too scared to be called sluts so even if they want to cheat they wont(majority not all)

ReputationRep:
    This is not going to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    Gender has nothing to do with it, so I can't vote.
    Disagree, see my earlier post.

(Original post by Playboy King)
    Not necessarily. I think they're less likely to be suspected of cheating and therefore perhaps don't get caught as easily...but because girls can become pregnant they're all the more likely to be caught out, where as guys can sleep with as many and not show any signs at all.
    But many women have a certain 'type' they go for - so if they got pregnant by a guy physically similar to their husband it wouldn't necessarily be obvious the baby wasn't his. They say up to 10% of fathers are unknowingly raising another man's child...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    whaaaat

you know contraception exists

and even if they did get preggers they'd say it was their bfs wouldn't they

I agree with 'less likely to be suspected' though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamkund)
    No, that's irrelevant. I say this because it ultimately comes down to one sex. I'm not looking to blame her based upon circumstances. Obviously one half of a relationship cheats initially, and that's all that matters here.
    I'm sorry I don't understand a word could you rephrase?

ReputationRep:
    Men are probably more likely to cheat with another single partner, but females are more likely to cheat with multiple partners because they can get dp'ed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    whaaaat

you know contraception exists

and even if they did get preggers they'd say it was their bfs wouldn't they

I agree with 'less likely to be suspected' though
    If you know contraception exists then you should also know that contraception doesn't eliminate the chance of pregnancy by 100%.

This has worried me now, I didn't know girls could be that cruel :erm: telling a guy a kid's his when it isn't :no: DNA tests right after the birth should be a legal obligation I say!

ReputationRep:
    It's now which gender would cheat it's which person that has no morals.

ReputationRep:
    I think *generally* men cheat for sexual gratification - women cheat for emotional. But this isnt always the case - I've known it be the other way round. Gender, in social terms is quite broad..there are many women that adopt the more stereotypically 'male' role in the relationship and vice versa. I was in a 2 year relationship and although I never did cheat I definately wanted to at times and was purely for sexual reasons (I'm female). I think it's pretty equal to be honest..I dont think that one gender cheats more than the other. However, I do think, generally again, that women are better at getting away with it than men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    I'm sorry I don't understand a word could you rephrase?
    What I'm saying is you're trying to push circumstances into this. They don't matter. Doesn't matter how it happened (though you can say that in your post/experience), but for poll it doesn't matter. Let's say your boyfriend was found out cheating. He cheated, end of. So you vote 'Male'.

ReputationRep:
    I think that men are more likely to cheat, but I don't necessarily think this is due to men being b******* or women being 'better people'. Men are designed to make as many people pregnant as they can. I know that monogamy exists in some species but not humans and whereas women are designed to carry babies, men are designed to help make these babies and do it repeatedly in order to assure survival (from the times when infant mortality was high...like, caveman times?! bear with me I've only just woken up!)

Obviously now, we've evolved and we have unspoken/spoken rules as to how we are to behave. But I'm not particularly well informed about this, it may well be that it's 50/50 between men and women in regards to cheating!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.