Turn on thread page Beta

Hey Answer These Questions! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    * Name three ways we isolate/discover drugs
    * Name a prescription only medicine and what it does
    * Why does insulin have to be administered intravenous only?
    * Do long division
    * Name some drugs which you will find exclusively in a hospital
    * What does MRSA stand for?
    * What is antibacterial resistance? How does it occur?
    * What can one do to prevent resistance?
    * Would you give someone with the flu antibiotics and why?
    * Know you're functional groups and what properties they can give a molecule?
    * Why do you want to study Pharmacy?
    * What skills does a pharmacist need/have?
    * What particular subject in pharmacy interested you?

:woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    do your own work!

ReputationRep:
    No. You do your own interview questions.

Oops, did I just say that....

ANSWERS:

I can do the long division one though.

And MRSA, off the top of me head =
    Methycillian (something like that) resistant stephacocculus (there's a coc in there somewhere) aureus....

Q: Why do you want to study pharmacy?
    A: What? I just wanna steal drugs

ReputationRep:
    HEY answer them yourself. We're not gonna be here for you in an interview when you'll have to think fast under pressure

ReputationRep:
    If you cant answer the questions

*Why do you want to study Pharmacy?
    WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?

ReputationRep:
    I love the polite thread title - not "please can you help with..." but "hey answer these questions!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aelred)
    I love the polite thread title - not "please can you help with..." but "hey answer these questions!"
    lol...that would be a good start, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Some of these questions are impossible for someone, other than yourself, to answer.

"Why do you want to study Pharmacy?"

Only the OP can answer this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkC2009)
    * Do long division

You should be able to answer most of these yourself...google some if you have to!

The only question I'll answer is that MRSA stands for Methicillin Resistant Staphyolcoccus Aureus

ReputationRep:
    * Do long division

1) From natural sources, from gene replication and from metals.
    2) Salbutamol is an adrenoceptor agonist, used to relieve a patient from an asthma attack.
    3) Insulin is unstable in the GI tract, because its structure is composed of peptide bonds which are deionised in the stomach (due to high acidic pH).
    4) if u cant do this yourself you will never become a pharmacist!
    5) Methicillin resistant staphylcoccus aureus
    6) Antibiotic resistant is essentially when a bacteria which can usually be killed by antibiotics, is actually immune to antibiotic treatment. This can arise when the bacteria develop a mutation during replication, which makes them immune.
    7) No I would not give antibiotics to a patient with flu, as antibiotics only kill bacteria, and flu is caused by a virus, hence will be unaffected by antibiotic treatment.
    8) -Cl is often added to a drug base to increase drug solubility. -COOH can make a drug weakly acidic to make it able to absorbed by the stomach, and NH2 is added to make a drug basic.
    9)I chose pharmacy because of the ammount of options available following graduation. You can work in industry, community, hospital, primary care. Also unlike most science courses, Pharmacy is a profession which requires brilliant communication and listening skills, which I feel i possess.
    10) A pharmacist needs many skills in order to survive in the profession. A successful pharmacist needs to be responsible, organised, compassionate, competent and precise.
    11) Prior to starting my degree I was always interested in Chemistry, and more specifically the practical aspect. I had pride in carrying out investigations, with PBL techniques. This always helped me learn new principles better than simply reading and copying notes. In the degree subjects I am very interested in Pharmaceutics and pharmacy practice.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant Rushhour. I'm sure Reading must be proud of you. You can now look forward to having a pharmacist colleague in 6 years time who had to ask other pharmacy students why he/she himself wanted to be a pharmacist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pharmgirl)
    Brilliant Rushhour. I'm sure Reading must be proud of you. You can now look forward to having a pharmacist colleague in 6 years time who had to ask other pharmacy students why he/she himself wanted to be a pharmacist.
    Mind your business. This person is only looking for guideline answers, and the fact they have asked for others opinions shows they are at least preparing for interview. And FYI none of those questions were asked in the pharmacy interview at reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rushhour72)
    Mind your business. This person is only looking for guideline answers, and the fact they have asked for others opinions shows they are at least preparing for interview. And FYI none of those questions were asked in the pharmacy interview at reading.
    But most of these answers are not guidelines they are straight forward answers...MRSA, antimicrobial resistance, insulin etc.

ReputationRep:
    What Rushhour said, I was just looking for guidlines, ffs whats up with you people .

ReputationRep:
    What kind of question is "do long division"?

And for MRSA; I mean google does exist....

ReputationRep:
    Argh, I just copied and pasted and forgot to delete some of the questions.. But oh well you catch my drift if you don't your stupid.

ReputationRep:
    What Rushhour said, I was just looking for guidlines, ffs whats up with you people .

I'll tell you what's up. Some of us are qualified and want pharmacists with enough initiative to decide for themselves why they want to be a pharmacist. I interviewed a candidate yesterday and I was treated to a direct quote from TSR. Doesnt give a good impression.

ReputationRep:
    I agree pharmgirl.

Also ... you can administer insulin other ways than intravenously ... mostly subcutaneously in fact!

ReputationRep:
    I personally feel that this thread has been really useful in helping me to think about the sort of questions i may be asked at interview regarding pharmacy. obviously the reason i want to do pharmacy will be specific to me so i cant really quote someone else when i know thats not WHY i want to do pharmacy. i think we should all take a chill pill (no pun intended) and just help each other out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 16, 2010

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.