Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have recieved three conditional offers to study electronic engineering BEng (HONS) at birmingham city, aston and university of birmingham. I will need to achieve (DDD) - (DMM) - (DDM) in electronic engineering (BTEC NAT DIP) to gain entry. However they also require english GCSE at grade C, thats the only GCSE I failed (got a D) in. At college I have completed a OCR level 2 certificate in adult literacy but i dont think the universities are accepting this as a GCSE equivilent (even though my college do).
    What can I do to get a grade C in english? Its too late to do resits and im 20 years old now.
    Its pretty stupid that Im worrying more about a GCSE grade than a BTEC national diploma grade!

ReputationRep:
    Did you already have the OCR adult literacy qualification before applying to university? As if you did the universities will have acknowledged that you have this but are still looking for you to complete a GCSE in English. If they did not know that you already had this, then inform them to see whether they will accept it as an alternative qualification to a GCSE.

But if it is part of your offer conditions that you need say, DDD plus GCSE English at grade C, then you need to find a way of meeting these conditions. A lot of colleges will run GCSE courses so you could sign up to do English in the summer. If you sign up now and put in some work to catch up what you missed last term you should be able to retake it in the summer. GCSE English (and Maths) are generally minimum requirements across the board for entering at university level, regardless of your extra qualifications or degree subject.

ReputationRep:
    So Im gonna have to take english GCSE at college next year (night class)?
    How would i now apply for a HND or foundation degree now becuase I have already used up my 5 applications.
    Why does my college allow you to go onto a HND without GCSE C english? (My college is appalling)

Will this desrtoy my chances of a degree in two years time? When they ask what I was doing in the past year and why I didnt go into a degree because I failed the requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p3tr01h34d)
    So Im gonna have to take english GCSE at college next year (night class)?
    How would i now apply for a HND or foundation degree now becuase I have already used up my 5 applications.
    Why does my college allow you to go onto a HND without GCSE C english? (My college is appalling)

Will this desrtoy my chances of a degree in two years time? When they ask what I was doing in the past year and why I didnt go into a degree because I failed the requirements?
    You've still got time to sign up for a resit this summer - I would talk to your college and lean on them to provide you with tutorial support to do the work necessary - this is English language we are talking about so you won't have to study the texts. It ought to be possible to cover the ground between now and June.

However, presumably you entered your GCSE grades and your OCR certificate on your UCAS form, so it's surprising if the offers you have include an exam you didn't say you were taking :confused:. So I would ring the unis in question and clarify the situation - and get them to confirm anything they say to you in writing. That said, for your job prospects in the future a GCSE at Grade C would do no harm so it would be worth the effort in any case.

I know it seems bizarre that a GCSE grade seems to be more important than your BTEC but you aren't the first person to have this experience and you won't be the last!

ReputationRep:
    I have contacted two of the universities now, Birmingham city university said they do not require the C grade and that they do accept OCR level 2 adult literacy. Atleast now I have a chance with one uni. Still waiting for the other reply.
    Does anybody know if you can complete the GCSE grade english before uni starts and where?
    thanks alot for your advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p3tr01h34d)
    I have contacted two of the universities now, Birmingham city university said they do not require the C grade and that they do accept OCR level 2 adult literacy. Atleast now I have a chance with one uni. Still waiting for the other reply.
    Does anybody know if you can complete the GCSE grade english before uni starts and where?
    thanks alot for your advice
    As I suggested before, talk to your college first. You should be able to register to sit the exam through them, but if not they will be able to advise where you could go. As it's English Language, it's worth a shot anyway.

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.