Turn on thread page Beta

Kill, Negotiate with or Buy off the Taliban...so many options watch

• View Poll Results: What is going to happen?
    Extermination
    49.02%
    Negotiation
    37.25%
    Bribery
    13.73%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1 boss)
    blatenly jewish...

btw "How do Jews celebrate xmas?"

.....*spoiler*.....

They put parking metres on the roof.
    Prick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Prick.
    Did you get your name from Death-note?
    ('Sakujo sakujo sakujo sakujo sakujo....')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerBoy)
    Did you get your name from Death-note?
    ('Sakujo sakujo sakujo sakujo sakujo....')

Only thing that popped into my head.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

This is what the war has led to, a dilemma between killing, speaking with or paying the enemy to stop fighting! Well done Western NATO-led forces. I'm sure this is the success you envisaged. :rolleyes:

(Original post by TheLeader)
    killing will never work because they will never give up fighting - They belive they cannot lose. Negotiating wont work because America will never answer the demands of the Taliban i.e Stop funding Israel (which i dont understand btw seen as it has a stong military force and a stable economy. Bribery is just laughable - you might get a few fighter like the afghan forces but they are a joke and cannot fight. there is no win for us. its deppressing but its true we just need to pull out and focus on defending ourselves before we make it much much worse. May i remind you we are doing what Bin laden said we would. he said that he would put a flag in a country and the west would invade and throw their money away fighting that country to stop them but then they would simply put their flag some where else untill America is bankrupt. Aren't they already doing this by moving to Pakistan and then to north Africa.
    Indeed. It's saddening how Bin Laden is being proven right. The man might be evil but he's not entirely wrong at predicting the West's failures.

(Original post by Sakujo)
    Yeah but it hasn't worked has it?
    Oh and don't bother trying to have a discussion with right>left. He's a purposeless neo-con, far, far right nutjob. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Oh and don't bother trying to have a discussion with right>left. He's a purposeless neo-con, far, far right nutjob. :yep:
    Exactly, it's always fun trolling him. Or in the vast majority of cases asking him to defend what he said.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    The war on terror is all a joke.

ReputationRep:
    This war is never going to end.

/Thread

ReputationRep:
    Well to be honest I wouldn't be able to make a decision until I knew for certain why we were there.I never believed a word that comes out of this Governments mouth. If Afghanistan was a source of terrorist plots against the UK, if it could be resolved by us leaving so be it.I don't care how that effects our relations with the US or anyone else.I care about British lives. If however, by us leaving it would still mean Afghanistan was a source of terrorist plots, my response would be this.

Afghanistan is nothing like Northern Island, even so no one can really predict the peace would hold. Also we would be dealing with tribal savages ,some of whom Iam sure could be bought off but I expect the more ideological ones couldn't. So because of that I would have a two point plan to deal with them.I think it is foolish for British troops to occupy the place.

Airstrikes, if there is collateral damage, they are not British, most hate us anyway. I care more for British soldiers.

Limited insertions of special forces troops to destroy specific targets .

I would also bank on the US removing president Obama , as he will likely be a one term president, and hopefully get a more suitable person in the oval office who is not afraid to take bold steps the solve the muslim extremist problem. I think if there is a massive terrorist atrocity that orginates from Afghanistan we should nuke the place and send a message to Islamists across the world.And to countries habouring terrorists.If they do not cooperate we will eradicate all traces of them from the map.

ReputationRep:
    Exterminate the nucleus of the organisation. This would be their religious clerics. Kill off their experienced leaders. Then bribe the "field Taliban" to lay down their arms after having their experienced leaders removed.

It can't be done with current troop levels. They need to infest the country with special forces to win. It feels like they're too busy trying to fight pitched battles. But this is a relic of the cold war. New military doctrines turning ordinary soldiers more akin to special forces is needed. Sent out in small groups for weeks at a time. This idea of having "bases" where troops live is a bit redundant. They all need to be out in the field.

ReputationRep:
    After 10 years of perpetual endless conflict I think the answer would be evident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    After 10 years of perpetual endless conflict I think the answer would be evident.
    To be honest I'd prefer "endless" conflict to the Taliban having the strength to attack the west again or housing terrorist organisations that do such acts. If we have to fight, better it be in the poppy fields.

ReputationRep:
    Kill every ******* one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    To be honest I'd prefer "endless" conflict to the Taliban having the strength to attack the west again
    Again :lolwut:

or housing terrorist organisations that do such acts. If we have to fight, better it be in the poppy fields.
    Address foreign policy and those terrorists will vanish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Address foreign policy and those terrorists will vanish.
    That's the issue. I'm not interested in British foreign policy being changed to satisfy an ignoramus in a hut on an Afghan mountain.

If they want to attack us for our foreign policy, we will kill them.

I have no interest in seeing Britain have its foreign policy dictated to it by foreigners. Our policy is our own. We're not vassals to Islamic regimes. The rest of the world manages to go on without trying to murder ordinary British people commuting to work.

The real issue is Islamic barbarism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    To be honest I'd prefer "endless" conflict to the Taliban having the strength to attack the west again or housing terrorist organisations that do such acts. If we have to fight, better it be in the poppy fields.
    The Taliaban have only been the West's enemy since 2001, before then they were the nice guys killing the Russians.

ReputationRep:
    The Government don't realise that the Taliban aren't motivated by money - they have a sole religious aim and will carry it out at all cost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Quite, but the strength of the Taliban comes, at least partly you must concede, from Western support during the Russian Afghan campaign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    That's the issue. I'm not interested in British foreign policy being changed to satisfy an ignoramus in a hut on an Afghan mountain.

If they want to attack us for our foreign policy, we will kill them.

I have no interest in seeing Britain have its foreign policy dictated to it by foreigners. Our policy is our own. We're not vassals to Islamic regimes. The rest of the world manages to go on without trying to murder ordinary British people commuting to work.

That's fine I guess the status quo shall remain. Just remember however 10 years have gone past and now the West is begging the Taliban to stop fighting them. Islam will never change nor will its adherents. They will not pander to western interpretations. I think it is fair for the West to fix its own problems first before demanding anything from others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shmuxel)
    The Government don't realise that the Taliban aren't motivated by money - they have a sole religious aim and will carry it out at all cost
    Not all the Taliban, many of it's lower ranks are made up of farmers and unemployed Afghanis who can earn a fair bit by joining the Taliban.

ReputationRep:
    The Taliban are not like the IRA, they will not accept negotiations. Yes, they will happily take our money, and make a show of decommissioning their weapons. As soon as our backs are turned they will be buying more guns from the Iranians.

It was possible to negotiate with the IRA because they were fighting for a clear, defined cause, and although it was religiously based, it was not religiously driven. They fought for freedom not to kill Protestants. The Taliban fight to kill Westerners, non-Muslims, and are strongly linked to Al-Qaeda.

Negotiating with the Taliban would be a mistake, they would stab us in the back. There is no place for them in the Afghan government, which against all odds has embraced a fragile form of democracy. Terrorists who oppose all Western values, and plot death for all non-believers have no place in government.

All Allied nations need to contribute to a larger, more confrontational force in Afghanistan, dedicated to stamping out Taliban opposition, together with our allies in Pakistan. Iran also needs to be dealt with, who do you think supplies the resistance in both Iraq and Afghan, as well as Al-Qaeda?

My $0.02.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.