Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What GCSE'S Do I Need To Choose To Be An Airline Pilot? Im about to choose my GCSE options and could someone reply with what GCSE i need to choose to be an airline pilot and what grades they will have to be eg. C. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, the best(and easiest) way to become an airline pilot is to join the RAF and go from there. There aren't really any qualifications that will help you, though a good grade in Maths, English and the sciences seems to be the best thing to aim for.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, just expanding on what Enzo-259 said- its a good idea to have ALevels in Mathematics and Physics too!!

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    Are your parents rich? To train to be a pilot is VERY expensive (for example, I think I heard one post degree training course is £120,000.........but I could be wrong) but yeah save up your pocket monies from now!

ReputationRep:
    It is usually around £35,000 to train for all the licenses you need.

ReputationRep:
    The basics is needed. Maths, English, Sciences. Sciences and Maths are the most useful as you will have to calculate alot, reading dials etc. Formulas, the physics of a plane etc.

I googled some stuff for you and found another thead made in the student room which I think will be helpful to you

Qualifications to be an airline pilot

ReputationRep:
    I believe you need the basic GSCE's like Maths, Sciences, English. Maths and Physics would help you alot.

I also found another thread asking about the same question in the Student Room.
    Qualifications to become a Pilot

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Evo87

ReputationRep:
    geography Pe humanities science maths english all good grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young boy)
    OMFG don't post in such an old necro-thread.

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics, English and Science based subjects will stand you in good stead. A levels more so, but pick them in subjects you are interested in - as long as they aren't Media Studies or General study type subjects.

However, it isn't all about your qualifications, you need to have the right aptitude. Also, most importantly it's all about teamwork - can you work in a team? Are you a good leader and a good listener?

As someone said above 'The best way (and easiest) is to join the RAF' - I wouldn't totally agree with that, I'm not saying it's wrong but there are 'easier' options. Bearing in mind how competitive the RAF, FAA and AAC with their Pilots and Aircrew.

That's not to say you can't get there though, with hard work and determination, you can succeed.

Sadly, it's a financial killer - it is expensive and unless you've willing parents who are happy to remortgage the house or you will on the EuroMillions, it'll take a while - but again, it's about determination - are you willing to spend X years training and getting all the licenses required? That's what the Airlines will be looking for - someone who has a strong work ethic and is prepared to keep going even when it gets tough.

I'm not an Airline Pilot or indeed a Pilot, however I do work in Air Traffic Control and a few close friends fly for Airlines so the info I've given is as good as my knowledge goes (it could be wrong or need updating).

I'm currently in the process (3/4 of the way through) of applying as an Aircrewman in the Fleet Air Arm (and previously say the RAF Aptitude Tests at Cranwell for the role of RAF Weapon Systems Operator) so if you want to ask any Q's reference that - feel free to PM.

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    6 years bro...OP probs in uni now lol..

ReputationRep:
    Do a language! It's well respected and could be useful, but obviously the most important are good grades in maths/science

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by tiquismiquis)
    Do a language! It's well respected and could be useful, but obviously the most important are good grades in maths/science
    (Original post by 0902)
    Mathematics, English and Science based subjects will stand you in good stead. A levels more so, but pick them in subjects you are interested in - as long as they aren't Media Studies or General study type subjects.

However, it isn't all about your qualifications, you need to have the right aptitude. Also, most importantly it's all about teamwork - can you work in a team? Are you a good leader and a good listener?

As someone said above 'The best way (and easiest) is to join the RAF' - I wouldn't totally agree with that, I'm not saying it's wrong but there are 'easier' options. Bearing in mind how competitive the RAF, FAA and AAC with their Pilots and Aircrew.

That's not to say you can't get there though, with hard work and determination, you can succeed.

Sadly, it's a financial killer - it is expensive and unless you've willing parents who are happy to remortgage the house or you will on the EuroMillions, it'll take a while - but again, it's about determination - are you willing to spend X years training and getting all the licenses required? That's what the Airlines will be looking for - someone who has a strong work ethic and is prepared to keep going even when it gets tough.

I'm not an Airline Pilot or indeed a Pilot, however I do work in Air Traffic Control and a few close friends fly for Airlines so the info I've given is as good as my knowledge goes (it could be wrong or need updating).

I'm currently in the process (3/4 of the way through) of applying as an Aircrewman in the Fleet Air Arm (and previously say the RAF Aptitude Tests at Cranwell for the role of RAF Weapon Systems Operator) so if you want to ask any Q's reference that - feel free to PM.

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    2010 thread 😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0902)

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by tiquismiquis)

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.