Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This question is for those with a lot of experience in powerlifting.

I've been doing starting strength, and have pretty much doubled all my lifts so far, and will keep on doing SS until linear progression fails.

I'm wondering whther there are any guidelines for what you guys have noticed helps you with sports - say, a 2x bodyweight squat for jumping, or some such.

For those of you who do both powerlifting and a sport, at what point did extra strength stop helping you progress?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azer)
    This question is for those with a lot of experience in powerlifting.

I've been doing starting strength, and have pretty much doubled all my lifts so far, and will keep on doing SS until linear progression fails.

I'm wondering whther there are any guidelines for what you guys have noticed helps you with sports - say, a 2x bodyweight squat for jumping, or some such.

For those of you who do both powerlifting and a sport, at what point did extra strength stop helping you progress?

Thanks in advance.
    What are your lifts? What sport?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    What are your lifts? What sport?
    All in kilos, and with good form:

Squats ATG 105 3x5
    Deadlift 135 1x5
    Bench 75 3x5
    Military press 55 3x5
    Power clean 65 5x3

Main sports are martial arts (Arnis/Escrima) and volleyball, but I want to get into gymnastics, basketball and rock climbing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azer)
    All in kilos, and with good form:

Squats ATG 105 3x5
    Deadlift 135 1x5
    Bench 75 3x5
    Military press 55 3x5
    Power clean 65 5x3

Main sports are martial arts (Arnis/Escrima) and volleyball, but I want to get into gymnastics, basketball and rock climbing.
    Then extra strength´s going to pretty much help you indefinitely.

Besides, you´re a long way off having to worry about that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Then extra strength´s going to pretty much help you indefinitely.

Besides, you´re a long way off having to worry about that anyway.
    Well, there'll probably be a time when the extra weight won't make up for the extra strength, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azer)
    Well, there'll probably be a time when the extra weight won't make up for the extra strength, no?
    Well you didn´t say extra weight, you said extra strength. You can get stronger without getting (much) heavier.

ReputationRep:
    Anything that involves strength or explosive power gets helped by your lifting. I've always been a naturally good sprinter but since I started squatting I've become noticeably faster. The same goes for cycling - my acceleration is excellent, even if my endurance isn't that fantastic right now. Obviously the extra strength will help any contact sport, and there are lots of sports that involve quick acceleration and changes of direction, from rugby to squash to basketball.

As far as I'm concerned, until you're seriously, seriously big (and I don't feel like I'm anywhere near that - my lifts are slightly below yours and my bodyweight is pretty low) the extra strength is going to help with anything other than pure endurance exercise way more than any extra mass might hinder you.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed i jump higher now which i'm guessing is from extra leg mass from heavy squatting.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of gymnastics you interested in going into?
    I did tumbling/parallels before I broke my neck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    What kind of gymnastics you interested in going into?
    I did tumbling/parallels before I broke my neck.
    Tumbling primarily, actually .

Sorry to hear about your accident, how are you recovering?

Do you have any tips for starting tumbling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Anything that involves strength or explosive power gets helped by your lifting. I've always been a naturally good sprinter but since I started squatting I've become noticeably faster. The same goes for cycling - my acceleration is excellent, even if my endurance isn't that fantastic right now. Obviously the extra strength will help any contact sport, and there are lots of sports that involve quick acceleration and changes of direction, from rugby to squash to basketball.

As far as I'm concerned, until you're seriously, seriously big (and I don't feel like I'm anywhere near that - my lifts are slightly below yours and my bodyweight is pretty low) the extra strength is going to help with anything other than pure endurance exercise way more than any extra mass might hinder you.
    Yeah, I've noticed my sprint times have gone down as well. How much of a difference did it make for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azer)
    Yeah, I've noticed my sprint times have gone down as well. How much of a difference did it make for you?
    I don't know in terms of times because I've not done anything timed in quite a while, but I've gone from being simply one of the faster guys naturally when I was younger to never finding anyone outside of actual sprinters (and, I suppose, pretty high level rugby players or footballers, that sort of thing) who can beat me over a distance of around 100-400m.

I'll be joining the athletics club next year - me and one of my friends (who is one of the really fast guys in our college football team) made a pact to join next year a few days ago. In fact that brings to mind the fact that he's said he'll start training with me in the gym, and though he's not quite as quick as me now if he builds some strength he could be deadly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I don't know in terms of times because I've not done anything timed in quite a while, but I've gone from being simply one of the faster guys naturally when I was younger to never finding anyone outside of actual sprinters (and, I suppose, pretty high level rugby players or footballers, that sort of thing) who can beat me over a distance of around 100-400m.

I'll be joining the athletics club next year - me and one of my friends (who is one of the really fast guys in our college football team) made a pact to join next year a few days ago. In fact that brings to mind the fact that he's said he'll start training with me in the gym, and though he's not quite as quick as me now if he builds some strength he could be deadly.
    I've noticed it mainly in the very short sprints.. for my Army basic fitness test I have to do a series of 11x10m sprints, and squats have done wonders for that.

Are you also doing SS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azer)
    I've noticed it mainly in the very short sprints.. for my Army basic fitness test I have to do a series of 11x10m sprints, and squats have done wonders for that.

Are you also doing SS?
    No, but I'm pretty close to it at the moment (in the sense that I'm doing alternating A and B sessions 3 times a week of 3x5 compounds except deadlifts on 1x5). I'm a bit weird when it comes to training because I've been quite on and off so I've got a reasonable amount of experience and have enough knowledge of what works best for me to want to modify beginner programs a bit, but right now I'm trying to get back to where I was before and surpass it by a bit before I think I'll be ready for moving away from working on the basics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azer)
    Tumbling primarily, actually .

Sorry to hear about your accident, how are you recovering?

Do you have any tips for starting tumbling?
    Lost too much body weight :p:

Get your core strength up big time.
    Make sure your joints can take strain - I know someone who broke their leg as they didn't have sufficient muscle around their knee and when they came down after a move without good landing it spiral fractured :eek:

Work on the basics. You should be able to do randoffs/backflips/somersaults blind folded before you should try anything like double back pikes/twists etc

Best tip ever - Use spotters and use crash mats.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.