The Student Room Group

How much time do you/could you spend alone? What's 'normal'?

Anon cos I use this for student-y things (not a student at the mo tho which is significant to my Q, lol) and this is personal.

I spend almost all my time by myself. I don't think I especially like my company/myself and I'm not 'happy', but I don't think I get 'lonely' either. My mum, dad, doctor, psychiatrist etc. etc. all tell me how 'unhealthy' it is and in papers, telly I see people saying how they 'can't be alone' and on this forum I think I've seen a thread like 'I have an afternoon to myself, what should I do with it?' like it's some big deal.

I have my mum who I see daily and spend an hr or two with in the eves (and live with) so that's a massive massive difference from having no one and I am grateful for that.

Is this that weird? See title - how much time do YOU/could YOU (I know ppl on here like talking about themselves...!) spend alone... and what's 'normal'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Hmmm, i don't think it matters whether it's normal or not, just whether you are content the way you are.
I'm a bit in between to be honest. I like spending time with friends but i also like time to myself. I don't like to spend alll weekend out with friends but i hate being stuck by myself all weekend.
I spend most of my day around quite a few people. In the evenings I either sit in the living room with my parents or in my room on the internet. Either way, I'm talking to people. Though like you I don't see it as a massive deal if I'm by myself for a day. I don't particularly LOVE it but it doesn't bother me. I couldn't deal with it very often though.
Reply 4
To be honest,I love spending time with myself. But I prefer my friends company
after about a day alone i would go a bit crazy tbh. i like my own company but not for prolonged periods of time!
I actually like being on my own. But I don't do it all the time. I spend most of my time with my family when I come home at weekends, and go out with my boyfriend and group of friends in the evening.

When I'm in my flat at uni though I spend literally all 5 days of the week on my own, and don't see any problem with that. I have a lot of work to do, and a lot of lectures to attend, so it's not like I sit on my own doing nothing. I do keep myself busy.
Reply 7
I spend most my time alone, because most the people I knew here have dropped out and left. :getmecoat:

It's a boring life.
I get frustrated when there are people around for too long. i don't feel I can get on with everyday stuff- my boyfriend likes to sit in my room, but I can't do anything whilst he's there, like work or reading, even though I know he doesn't mind.
Reply 9
in the average day, i spend 14 hours of it alone, in my room. the only time i really see people during the week is college, and i dont go out with people often since I live so far from my college town and spend a lot of my time travelling to/from.
I don't think its a problem, I have friends and I spend time with them when I can but its just practical that I don't mind spending time alone/
Reply 10
But if you're going to lectures and college you are around other ppl even if you don't talk to them? I mean like literally alone all day every day apart from a few hrs in the eve with my mum... and maybe sometimes go to the shops or something?
I don't think there is a "normal", because it'll vary from person to person. I spend a lot of time by myself, and I don't think I could count how much time it is.
Reply 12
I sound much the same as you really, I can (and do) spend an awful lot of time of my own, and I don't really enjoy it that way, but I don't get horrifically lonely. I think I'm just so used to it - my dad works offshore, my mum works weekdays and I'm an only child on a gap year, so an awful lot of the time I'm in the house by myself at the minute. I would love to spend more time with friends etc, but they tend to be occupied so that's not really possible. I can't wait to get to uni and be around people, though I do wonder if I'll get sick of it since I'm so used to having my own space!
Reply 13
I spend a lot of time on my own. It's kind of good, means you're comfortable with your own company and you don't go crazy when you are on your own - I'm fine with going to the cinema or shopping alone because I do it all the time, I know people who've never been shopping alone and that's kind of pathetic really.
Anonymous
Anon cos I use this for student-y things (not a student at the mo tho which is significant to my Q, lol) and this is personal.

I spend almost all my time by myself. I don't think I especially like my company/myself and I'm not 'happy', but I don't think I get 'lonely' either. My mum, dad, doctor, psychiatrist etc. etc. all tell me how 'unhealthy' it is and in papers, telly I see people saying how they 'can't be alone' and on this forum I think I've seen a thread like 'I have an afternoon to myself, what should I do with it?' like it's some big deal.

I have my mum who I see daily and spend an hr or two with in the eves (and live with) so that's a massive massive difference from having no one and I am grateful for that.

Is this that weird? See title - how much time do YOU/could YOU (I know ppl on here like talking about themselves...!) spend alone... and what's 'normal'?

I spend most of my time alone. Missed my grades for uni so am retaking - can't go into school as syllabus has changed and all my friends have left and gone to uni. Although I miss seeing my friends I don't mind that I spend most of my time alone. I still have a sports club that I go to Sat and Sundays but during the week I'm by myself.

I think if you're happy being by yourself then there's no reason to force yourself to go out etc. I personally am going to get myself a job for the next few months because I do want to meet some new people and I don't think being by myself all the time is particularly beneficial, plus I can make some extra money before uni :smile: But yea I think I could quite happily live by myself for several months without going crazy! :woo: I think if you're planning on going to uni soon though, it's probably a good idea to meet new people before-hand so that it's not a massive shock to the system when you do get there. :yep:
Reply 15
All my friends have gone to uni, on gap year by myself, best thing ever :yep: only time of my life I'm going to be able to do all the things I enjoy (within the constraints of studying and working of course) without having to worry about who to go places with or whether other people will enjoy it...I work from home so I don't even see people at work :giggle: my mom also works from home so technically I'm never alone in the house...but during working hours we don't tend to see each other, because we work in different rooms, so I spend most of my time alone, and absolutely love it :yep:
But this probably isn't going to be what most people enjoy, as others have said, it doesn't matter what's normal, it just matters what you're most comfortable with. I find that people who enjoy their alone time the most are those who fill that time with things they enjoy, and have a high level of confidence or good self image :dontknow:
Reply 16
The only people I've seen since friday have been a few people walking along the road. I've only seen one person walking his dog today. I used to get lonely while being alone for a few days at a time - but the internet keeps me connected to my friends.
Reply 17
I spend a fair amount of time alone, I like my own company. However if I go days without company I do get really lonely. I generally like being on my own on weekday nights after long days at uni to relax and watch TV/Play game etc.
Having said that I've definately become more social since coming to uni.
Reply 18
Peachesishere
Hmmm, i don't think it matters whether it's normal or not, just whether you are content the way you are.
I'm a bit in between to be honest. I like spending time with friends but i also like time to myself. I don't like to spend alll weekend out with friends but i hate being stuck by myself all weekend.

Quite a lot. Not really by choice but.. I'm single and dislike where I am at University and the whole things just .. meh.

Too much time.. I used to like it, but to be honest it's gotten to the point now where company would be nice :frown:
I could quite happily be on my own forever I think. However, any sort of life involving school, university or work sort of requires company so you don't go crazy. But.. I like a bit of distanced internet company. Like talking here! Well I like real-life company too, but I think I could live without it mostly.

Latest

Trending

Trending