Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much time do you/could you spend alone? What's 'normal'? watch

ReputationRep:
    I work nights so I spend all day on my own and then spend all night more or less alone (my job is basically to watch someone sleep).
    I like it.

EDIT - I live with my dad but he works all day and I work all night so we rarely see each other. I last saw him on Tuesday.

ReputationRep:
    I could easily spend a week end by myself. Although I love a good conversation. Thats the problem, finding people who are interesting and fun to talk to...I don't know many...as such, theres little incentive for me to be social with half the people I know (yeah I know it sounds big-headed...).

Although to spend all your time by yourself is a little worrying. You won't be able to get on in life without basic 'people skills', so I would go out and be with other people- you may have a blast

ReputationRep:
    I quite like being completely alone, as in being the only person in the house for an extended period. However, for some reason I find it infinitely crumbier to be in my room alone when everyone else is in the house.

ReputationRep:
    I need to be alone for at least some time every day - constantly being with people wears me out! Like you, I really don't mind being alone for long periods of time, such as an entire day - I could probably spend days at a time alone in fact. I definitely wouldn't say it's 'unhealthy' though - it's good for some people to have time to reflect.

ReputationRep:
    i dont spend any time alone

ReputationRep:
    I go a bit bat **** crazy tbh when I'm by myself for more than a few days.

ReputationRep:
    It's not unhealthy at all, and your doctor/psychiatrist shouldn't be telling you this, its unprofessional and uninformed.

Basically, people are either an introvert or an extrovert, introverts like being on their own and although they generally like having company they find spending large amounts of time with people draining, and need to be on their own to sort of recharge. Extroverts need to be around people all the time and think if you're not like them then you're weird. I like to be on my own quite a lot and can happily go days without talking to some one, it's the only way I can do all the stuff I like, like killin' strippers, try doing that with someone else and **** hits the fan.

It's only a problem if you yourself actually don't like being on your own.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like being on my own, because I have a pathological need to talk constantly, and I don't make particularly sparkling conversation with myself. And I get bored easily.

ReputationRep:
    i like my own company :P

I spent a lot of last summer alone. I was pretty much depressed and suicidal by the end. Then I made new friends in sixth form who are actually social and now I probably couldn't spend more than a weekend without seeing someone outside of my family.

ReputationRep:
    I spend quite a lot of time alone and I love it! I'm nice and social when I am around people (like during lectures, out and about etc) but at the end of the day there is nothing better than being alone and reading a good book or watching a film etc
    Every now and again I go out, only so people still remember I exist! but then at the end of the night I think this is such a waste of time! I hate this loud music, smelly club and drunk people slobbering all round me eurgh!
    I used to think I wasn't normal and a recluse but now i've come to terms with the fact i'm not like the people I know at uni and never will be- so screw it

ReputationRep:
    Some people are introverts some are extroverts. Introverts lose energy from being around others and need alone time to 'recharge'. Extroverts are the opposite. Be happy with whatever you naturally are and try to get a balance of alone time/social time that makes you feel content.

ReputationRep:
    i hate being by myself. Either im out, or if im at home im on msn/fb. I need to talk to people

ReputationRep:
    I spend most of my free time alone, tbh I can't stand a lot of people and prefer to just do things by myself. In the past 3 or 4 years I think I've only had friends round/gone to their houses twice, and gone out with my friends 3 times.

ReputationRep:
    I’m a bit of a hermit at the moment, unless I have a lecture or seminar I don't really leave the house.

Saying that, I'd definitely like the time to hang around with friends, meet new people and go out more, it’s just that I’ve been very busy lately.

I can’t even be around my boyfriend for too long without getting anxious. I enjoy the fact that we can go off and do our own thing and then spend a couple of hours in the evening together, even if it's just watching a DVD in bed.

Although trying to complete those last-minute deadlines whilst he's snoring away in my bed is annoying, but he won't ever sleep in his own bed.

ReputationRep:
    I spend most of my free time alone. However, this is because I am a horribly awkward, OCD-tastic, socially retarded freak that spends far too much time online and is also happy to do things like going to concerts, going to restaurants, going on trips etc. alone. I don't think it's always weird or unhealthy to spend a lot of time alone, though, especially if it's not getting you down or anything. Not everyone is an extrovert, after all.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot. I'm an introvert - I can easily go out for a walk or run or even to town with friends and just enjoy their company in silence or with light conversation so being on my own isn't a problem. I do get bored in the holidays if I don't do anything for 2 days or so.

I;d like to go to South America or somewhere and just chill out on my own on top of a mountain for a few days.

ReputationRep:
    TBH, I'm a bit anti - socialo at the moment. I see friends maybe once every fortnight, someitmes slightly more frequently, but I'm too bothered about my academic studies, and will enjoy life later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I love being alone - it's the only way you can do whatever you want to do. I have gone days at uni without speaking to anyone. I also love the company of other though. As long as you're not neglecting all social life, you should be fine.
    i am exactly like this, but i've begun to feel left out/like **** as a result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miamidiva)
    I spend quite a lot of time alone and I love it! I'm nice and social when I am around people (like during lectures, out and about etc) but at the end of the day there is nothing better than being alone and reading a good book or watching a film etc
    Every now and again I go out, only so people still remember I exist! but then at the end of the night I think this is such a waste of time! I hate this loud music, smelly club and drunk people slobbering all round me eurgh!
    I used to think I wasn't normal and a recluse but now i've come to terms with the fact i'm not like the people I know at uni and never will be- so screw it
    This lol, I'm exactly the same.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.