Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for the September 2010 entry course on Primary Education courses but I've changed my mind now and want to do a different course, Law. But, as I've already sent my UCAS app for the primary ed course and made my personal statement relevant to that, UCAS won't let me apply for a law course now. I don't want to do the primary ed course at all. Is there any way that I can do a law course starting in Sept 2010????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessieee)
    I've applied for the September 2010 entry course on Primary Education courses but I've changed my mind now and want to do a different course, Law. But, as I've already sent my UCAS app for the primary ed course and made my personal statement relevant to that, UCAS won't let me apply for a law course now. I don't want to do the primary ed course at all. Is there any way that I can do a law course starting in Sept 2010????
    You can consider whether to apply through Extra *points at sig for link to Wiki page* but remember you will have a limited choice of places to apply to, and you will have to take the risk of declining any offers you do have.

ReputationRep:
    I have predicted grades of AAB. Do you think I'd have a chance of getting on a Law LLB course at Univeristy of Bimmingham?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Firstly, Why are you rejecting any potential primary education offers? it is a competitive course and in respect to your predicted grades, you should have done your research before applying for the course.

The best advice for you is to contact the universities you'd like to apply for and explain to them your situation and sumbit your application through UCAS Extra. If your reasons are genuine and they have a vacancy, you may be lucky. However, LLB Law at Birmingham is quite competitive so there's no gaurantee that it will be on UCAS Extra.

I think before you even contact the universities, you should have a good think of whether Law is the course you would like to study for the next 3 or 4 years. In a few months time, you may change your mind again, so you;ve got some serious thinking to do!

As a consilation, another local university, BCU, does the LLB and this is usually in clearing in most years, so as a back up, you could consider doing the LLB at birmingham city.

Good luck with your application. Its just a shame that a student may have been turned down by the universities you want to decline. Teaching is a very important profession, think before you feel you can pursue it!

ReputationRep:
    P.S You've spelt Birmingham wrong! good luck

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to do the Primary Education course any more so it's pointless me holding any offers, I'd rather decline the offers now to give other people a chance to take them up.

I did want to do the primary education course at first, when i sent my application but now I don't want to.

I'm not sure if my grades are going to be good enough for the LLB at Birmingham and so I am also considering Law as part of a BA joint honours with another subject.

I may change my mind again but I'll try not to...

BCU does do the course aswell so I could potentially apply to that but it's not as good, always a back up though if I can't get into a first choice uni.

I'm withdrwaing my application so somebody else will have the chance to take a place that I may be declining.

ReputationRep:
    and i know i spelt Birmingham wrong, typing error!

ReputationRep:
    i dont mean to sound harsh but why they hell did you choose to apply to do Primary Ed if you knew that your heart wasnt set to commit to do it for 3-4 years at university i think you should have spoken UCAS in first to submitting your application to UCAS in first place and then at least you would not have the dilemma you have now that you are trying to get on to a degree program that you need to sit LNAT tests for to get onto a LAW degree
    If it was me in your situation i would consider taking a gap year and then having a clearer mind about what it is you really want to do with life and not just following potential friends and family and what they are doing or want you to do ... as at the end of the day its your life you choose what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to do the Primary Education course any more so it's pointless me holding any offers, I'd rather decline the offers now to give other people a chance to take them up.

I did want to do the primary education course at first, when i sent my application but now I don't want to.

I'm not sure if my grades are going to be good enough for the LLB at Birmingham and so I am also considering Law as part of a BA joint honours with another subject.

I may change my mind again but I'll try not to...

BCU does do the course aswell so I could potentially apply to that but it's not as good, always a back up though if I can't get into a first choice uni.

I'm withdrwaing my application so somebody else will have the chance to take a place that I may be declining.
    Make sure you cancel your choices where no decision has been made; this will then mean you can decline the offers you have got so far. Do not withdraw your entire application because you can't start again this year if you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Make sure you cancel your choices where no decision has been made; this will then mean you can decline the offers you have got so far. Do not withdraw your entire application because you can't start again this year if you do.

ok thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojospacemunky)
    i dont mean to sound harsh but why they hell did you choose to apply to do Primary Ed if you knew that your heart wasnt set to commit to do it for 3-4 years at university i think you should have spoken UCAS in first to submitting your application to UCAS in first place and then at least you would not have the dilemma you have now that you are trying to get on to a degree program that you need to sit LNAT tests for to get onto a LAW degree
    If it was me in your situation i would consider taking a gap year and then having a clearer mind about what it is you really want to do with life and not just following potential friends and family and what they are doing or want you to do ... as at the end of the day its your life you choose what you want to do.

At the time I applied, I thought that I wanted to do the Primary Ed course, but now I've decided that it's not for me. I did a month of work experience and i still wanted to pursue it. But now, I feel like I have more potential and the ability to do law.
    The LLB isn't the only option as i can do a BA in law and another subject and this may help with potential changing of minds again! as i'd have more options!
    A gap year is an option but I would prefer to go to uni this year

ReputationRep:
    as has been said above...UCAS extra, or clearing,,,

tbh, I would advise you take a gap year, get work exp...a strong app, and then apply and you will have a chance at the top courses,,,providing you have the grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    as has been said above...UCAS extra, or clearing,,,

tbh, I would advise you take a gap year, get work exp...a strong app, and then apply and you will have a chance at the top courses,,,providing you have the grades

what work experience would you advise for me to get onto a Law degree?
    and do you think it's likely that the decent uni's will have places through EXTRA and clearing?
    otherwise, my only option would be a gap year

ReputationRep:
    what work experience would you advise for me to get onto a Law degree?
    and do you think it's likely that the decent uni's will have places through EXTRA and clearing?
    otherwise, my only option would be a gap year
    I doubt the top unis would have spaces in clearing as there is so much competition for those places, although I don't really know for sure....

get work exp in law firms, you can get them by asking around family and friends, writing a CV and why you want exp at firm X...then sending it off, phoning around the firms....I know that the CAB will deffo want volunteers,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    I doubt the top unis would have spaces in clearing as there is so much competition for those places, although I don't really know for sure....

get work exp in law firms, you can get them by asking around family and friends, writing a CV and why you want exp at firm X...then sending it off, phoning around the firms....I know that the CAB will deffo want volunteers,

ok, well il try anyway. thanks for the advice
    and if i cant get on this year, il try again next yr

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.