Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am thinking about applying for a phd at Imperial next year in biomed science and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best way to strengthen my application? Im currently studying medicine at Oxford and plan to do the phd in between 3rd and 4th year.

Thanks
    Matt

ReputationRep:
    you studying in oxford or oxford brookes?

ReputationRep:
    oxford.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think it will be a problem if you get a first.

ReputationRep:
    maybe some lab work experience would help,
    and knowledge on the 5 disciplines of biomed

ReputationRep:
    A PhD between your 3rd and 4th year of your medicine degree? Is this allowed?

ReputationRep:
    as long as you tell them and ask for entry into clinical school later then its usually fine. maybe its because there isnt a set mb/phd like some med schools do and we have to reapply to stay at oxford if we want for our clinical training.

ReputationRep:
    Don't see a problem if it is okay to do it, although I would say that you have to be aware that PhDs don't really finish in a defined way like undergraduate degrees. People say 3 years, but that's just the length of funding you get and you are likely take another year to write up and it can be another 6 - 12 months before you graduate after that. Depending on when you are allowed to return to study it could by 5 years after starting your PhD and that could make it pretty tough to pick up where you left off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Don't see a problem if it is okay to do it, although I would say that you have to be aware that PhDs don't really finish in a defined way like undergraduate degrees. People say 3 years, but that's just the length of funding you get and you are likely take another year to write up and it can be another 6 - 12 months before you graduate after that. Depending on when you are allowed to return to study it could by 5 years after starting your PhD and that could make it pretty tough to pick up where you left off.
    At least for engineering they have now become strict and do not allow anyone to take any more than 4 years but as chemistboy says I wouldn't be aiming for a 3 year PhD if I was you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponjavic)
    At least for engineering they have now become strict and do not allow anyone to take any more than 4 years but as chemistboy says I wouldn't be aiming for a 3 year PhD if I was you.
    Well, they say that, but it is almost impossible to enforce. After all they don't want to fail people as that looks really bad and has a negative impact on funding. They just say this knowing that most people will stick to the rules. Plus that is just 4 years until submission - you still need to have your viva and then wait for the next available graduation ceremony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Well, they say that, but it is almost impossible to enforce. After all they don't want to fail people as that looks really bad and has a negative impact on funding. They just say this knowing that most people will stick to the rules.
    Agreed, however because they basically have to enforce it they will just modify the PhD/viva requirements so that they all pass anyways :/ as in forcing them to write up earlier and such

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.