Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!

I am in the lower sixth form taking AS history and currently writing an essay for the Robson History prize, my chosen question is:

To what extent was the Italian ‘Risorgimento’ a political and historiographical myth?

this seems to be a pretty interesting question, and my teacher has given me some notes on the historiography of the risorgimento,

however i was wondering if any one has any ideas of how to write the essay/where any additional sources/info may be

many thanks,

ReputationRep:
    Robson History prize for Trinity College, Cambridge? Good luck!
    Well as a To what extent question, you'll be looking into what ways it was a myth and ways it wasn't. Also you'll probably be looking into other ways it could have been a myth out side of the political and political spectrum.

As for sources - I'm not sure how much you want to go into this essay but a good way to go about getting information for this period is probably by getting one of these two books.
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Both of them are Seminars in History.

These books though are more focused on political, social and historical -
    Link 1
    Link 2

This is from Ohio Encyclopaedia but surely not as good as the book.
    Use any of these at your own discretion - But I recommend buying extra material for this essay. You'll have to source your work. But if money is an issue or you don't want to spend it then the google books are good too.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    Robson History prize for Trinity College, Cambridge? Good luck!
    Well as a To what extent question, you'll be looking into what ways it was a myth and ways it wasn't. Also you'll probably be looking into other ways it could have been a myth out side of the political and political spectrum.

As for sources - I'm not sure how much you want to go into this essay but a good way to go about getting information for this period is probably by getting one of these two books.
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Both of them are Seminars in History.

These books though are more focused on political, social and historical -
    Link 1
    Link 2

This is from Ohio Encyclopaedia but surely not as good as the book.
    Use any of these at your own discretion - But I recommend buying extra material for this essay. You'll have to source your work. But if money is an issue or you don't want to spend it then the google books are good too.
    Good luck!
    thanks for the links, i already have one of the books you recomend, so i shall read that. I dont plan to go too deeply into it, but i still want to give a decent account of myself so ill prob not buy the other book.

ill have a go at writing it soon...

thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    There is also a new edition of the Lucy Riall.

Most of the historiographical controversy on the risorgimento is also linked to the rise of Fascism.
    On this particular point you should look at the Croce vs Gramsci debate on the historical interpretation of the risorgimento!

Good luck

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.