Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

This is my first post, and after lurking through the halls of TSR for so long, I finally took the plunge.

I'm starting IB in a week and I have 3 months to choose my subjects(well not choose, but ascend from SL to HL or descend from HL to SL). What subjects do you think are necessary for politics and economics, or PPE in an IVY league college or, if I qualify, Oxbridge. These are my subjects that I have temporarily chosen:

1). Maths HL
    2). Economics HL
    3). English HL?
    4). French Ab Initio
    5). Biology SL?
    6). History SL?/Business Management SL?

First of all my queries are as follows:
    1). Is choosing the right science of matter of immense importance? If not, wouldn't it be pragmatic to choose the easiest science? Therefore, what is the easiest science?
    2). Also, while a like both History and English, which would be more prudent for me to take for my future aspirations and in either one, SL or HL?
    3). Or should I simply abandon History altogether and choose Business management instead in SL or HL?

What increases my bemusement however is that the PPE page in Oxford recommends taking history, but what connection does it possess with any of the subjects studied in PPE?

While I know, my inquiries are lengthy, please have some sympathy on a person desperately in need for some kind, friendly advice:yep:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    As far I as I know, Maths HL is not required for PPE...
    Secondly, don't choose both BaM and Eco... Universities don't particularly like it and BaM is not of great importance for PPE anyway... History is much much better for PPE, especially when one of the Ps in PPE is Politics You have a lot of political issues in History to discuss and you'll surely come across several interesting and important historic political events on your History lessons that you'll find useful for your PPE degree. And as you're not decided whether to take History SL or HL, take the Higher Level... It is more useful for your further studies than HL English... But if you wish to do so, take both HLs
    The natural science doesn't really matter in my opinion... You don't need it for PPE, you won't probably use it after IB, so choose one you like the most(or hate the least) or one that is easiest for you...

ReputationRep:
    I applied for PPE this year and I will tell you that the applicants in my school who got interviews at oxford mostly had math HL. it's preferred, and it also gives you the logic that they want to see. plus it definitely gives you an edge if you apply to a school like LSE. but if you already think logically and if you'll get a 5 in math HL then go for SL. however, it is easier to start at HL and drop to SL. again, a 7 in SL looks better than a 5 in HL i think. but a 6 in HL > 6 in SL.

i think your higher levels are alright. do history instead of business management, as it's more respected. history curriculums have a strong tie to politics, and it requires you to write a lot of essays + think critically.

the science you choose doesn't matter.

i am talking about the UK here. if you apply to an ivy league, you're not really applying for a course, and they don't really look at your combination of courses in terms of your major - they only look at how rigorous it is.

if you are up for it, you could take 4 HLs - english, history, econ, math. english is not really that difficult, and econ is not either. but math and history at HL can be quite suicidal. still, US schools respect that. not sure about UK in terms of respect.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Thanks for your swift and very useful replies. I see why TSR is so well respected as a student forum. Anyways, I have extrapolated from your responses that History would be useful for me, however I don't think I want or could handle the pressure of the 4 HL's.

That leaves me with another question. Let's say my 2 HL's are Maths and Economics. Should the third be History HL or English HL. You said that english would be easier but how so? Is there less homework, or are the concepts easier to understand than history? Can't it be that you simply are gifted at English more than others? Again, I am open-minded to all suggestions. Therefore, may the responses flow . Again, thanks for your helpful replies.

ReputationRep:
    2bemusedcapybara: yea, I didn't say it is not preferred, I just said it is not required like in the case of pure economics... But I agree, having Higher maths is surely an advantage, especially for the Econ part of PPE

Thinking in terms of your future studies, HL History would be more useful for you than HL English (not talking about difficulty of the course but of usefulness of it) as it closely related to PPE... and with History + Econ combination you would a very good background for PPE...

If you really enjoy reading and have no problem writing essays on various literary topics (especially literature interpretation and stuff), I see no problem why you shouldn't take HL English as well... There's not a big difference between SL and HL I think, so if you don't fear two WLAs and more books to read, go for it

About the US unis... You don't choose your degree in the beginning (first year or two are general) so they are not that strict about your subjects as they are in UK... But I don't think it actually makes any difference, since you have to choose something and the best subjects you can choose are ones that wil l help you in future

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, well school's gonna start on thursday. I've probably decided that the following will be my courses:

Maths HL
    Economics HL
    English HL
    History SL
    French Ab Initio
    Chemistry/Bio?

Although I have dilemma in some respect; I got all 3 A*s in my sciences but I never really enjoyed physics, so what would be the better choice between Chemistry and Bio. I heard that it should be helpful to have one easy subject and I have also heard that Biology is easier? But the conundrum is that I like chemistry better- ahh what a pain it is to be capricious=). Although I know both are sciences are not that useful in my future education, doesn't one of them possess at least one quality that can help me with PPE or Politics and Economics? Again, thanks metjush and bemusedcapybara., though other responses would be welcome=)

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not is Biology easier really depends on you... I would say that Bio requires more memorizing whereas Chemistry is more about practical thinks, experiments... But most of the people in my school say that Bio is harder than Chem... (I'm personally taking Physics, so I don't know first-hand, but Bio is actually the most popular science in my class... maybe because it's mostly about memorizing, which kind of surprises me :P ) So if you prefer Chem to Bio, take Chemistry...

ReputationRep:
    bio can get old, there really is SO much memorizing, and if you enjoy chemistry better, honestly i say go ahead and take it especially since you've gotten A*s in all your sciences!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I think going with what you like is better than forcefully doing something so I guess that is is chemistry for me.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.