Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I overreacting to obesity in Britain? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm about 6ft and weigh 9 stone, so I'm about a size 8/10. I hate it whenever I go shopping though because I'm always surrounded by girls who don't seem to give a toss about how they look. Yesterday when I went into Miss Selfridge, there was a girl who was wearing a sleeveless top, and had the biggest rolls of underarm fat you've seen in your life (she was quite easily a size 14). I just looked over with a sort of, 'have some respect :rolleyes:' look. It makes me feel bad enough when I get a bit porky and go up to a size 12, and when these girls don't care about going out looking like heffers, I actually find it quite upsetting.

Am I overreacting, or is this a normal reaction to what is becoming an obese society?

ReputationRep:
    It's abnormal tbh, I usually jab these types in the flabby region and giggle while I watch it jiggle around :ahee:

I feel that's a more normal response.

ReputationRep:
    Fat people make average size people feel better about themselves. It's all good.

ReputationRep:
    You have to remember the increase in comfort eating due to job losses got us out of recession.

ReputationRep:
    If she has the biggest rolls of underarm fat I've seen in my life I think she would be a tad bigger than a size 14.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzseeker)
    I'm about 6ft and weigh 9 stone, so I'm about a size 8/10. I hate it whenever I go shopping though because I'm always surrounded by girls who don't seem to give a toss about how they look. Yesterday when I went into Miss Selfridge, there was a girl who was wearing a sleeveless top, and had the biggest rolls of underarm fat you've seen in your life (she was quite easily a size 14). I just looked over with a sort of, 'have some respect :rolleyes:' look. It makes me feel bad enough when I get a bit porky and go up to a size 12, and when these girls don't care about going out looking like heffers, I actually find it quite upsetting.

Am I overreacting, or is this a normal reaction to what is becoming an obese society?
    Maybe they don't realise didn't realise that one of their primary functions is to please eveyone's aesthetic eye. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

I'm a 14 on bottom and 12 on top. I'm 5"10 and although yes, I do have insecurities about my weight when I'm surrounded by my skinny friends, I do not think I'm a heffer and I know I'm not obese. I do not think I should feel ashamed and/or scared to wear a sleeveless top in public.

ReputationRep:
    I blame teachers and parents for obesity. If they hadn't come down so hard on bullying it wouldn't be an issue. Shame was the method for stopping obesity, and it no longer exists.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's taken seriously enough in this country - even though we have countless of "health programmes" and adverts and whatnot, there are so many overweight people around!
    All that 'Big is Beautiful' stuff only encourages unhealthy behaviour.
    I also feel bad if I go up to a size 12 (I am a size 8). However, I do think you should be happy with who you are, as long as your health isn't in danger, so at least these "heffers" are showing a bit of body confidence (something I ironically would love to have!). I certainly don't think a certain size should be dictated as beautiful!

ReputationRep:
    I wear a size 10 on top and am still weary of wearing sleeveless tops. They're obviously confident enough to wear them however, and that's great. Size should become a concern when it's affecting their health, but otherwise, as long as they're comfortable in their body then that's all that matters. Not everybody dresses in a way to please everyone else, but their self instead.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is though, the fact that they're a size 14 quite clearly shows that they're overweight, so why be proud of that?

ReputationRep:
    The thing is though, the fact that they're a size 14 quite clearly shows that they're overweight, so why be proud of that?
    People should be more worried about health than size of clothing. Which dress size you wear can depend a lot on body type and a size fourteen on one girl may be perfectly healthy.

Maybe she's trying to do something about her weight? Are you suggesting everyone who doesn't adhere to your concept of beauty should walk around in puffa jackets and jogging bottoms?

ReputationRep:
    So what would you have them wear then?? Should their bodies be completely covered up at all times?
    Also, maybe they are just comfortable with the way they look.

ReputationRep:

No, it's a highly prejudiced reaction. Size 14 is just as natural as size 8 or 10, it's fine to have that much fat as a girl. Jesus, a typical size 14-18 isn't even obese! :rolleyes: You're fat-phobic. Get some respect for other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    No, it's a highly prejudiced reaction. Size 14 is just as natural as size 8 or 10, it's fine to have that much fat as a girl. Jesus, a typical size 14-18 isn't even obese! :rolleyes: You're fat-phobic. Get some respect for other people.
    This!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, someone's got a self-superiority complex... respect people's choices.

ReputationRep:
    A size 14 isn't 'quite clearly overweight', my mum is a size 12-14 and has a BMI of ~20 (don't give me the spiel about BMI being useless, you know what I mean). If you're 4'8 and a size 14 then you might be pushing it. And I'm not saying this cos I'm overweight, I'm size 6-8.

Having said that, I am quite biased against overweight people who wear tight tops and short skirts and just look hideous.

ReputationRep:
    That girl with fat rolls sounds grotesque.
    I hate fat people, they're vile, disgusting and lack self-respect. We should just cull them like the animals they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 46Bit)
    Wow, someone's got a self-superiority complex... respect people's choices.
    They haven't made a choice to be overweight. They've made the choice of not having any respect for their body or health by having such a disgusting diet. Fat people are just lazy.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is OP... not all people who are 'plus-size' are overweight or unhealthy (depending on their height, BMI etc). However, I do agree that people should wear clothes that flatter their size, rather than cramming themselves into tiny clothes, because that's just not attractive at all. ><;

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.