Turn on thread page Beta

Am I overreacting to obesity in Britain? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonjourmc)
    I blame teachers and parents for obesity. If they hadn't come down so hard on bullying it wouldn't be an issue. Shame was the method for stopping obesity, and it no longer exists.
    Haha gotta attempt it works. for my self anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You aren't allowed to use that picture if you went to eton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    That girl with fat rolls sounds grotesque.
    I hate fat people, they're vile, disgusting and lack self-respect. We should just cull them like the animals they are.
    Wow, looks liek you've got a troubled past involving a fat person? That or you are just a stuck up pig, - respect other people's choices, some may be portly but clever, which is prefereable to being fit but 'thick' if you see what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 46Bit)
    With the lazy bit, ever considered that not being very active doesn't negate the possibility of being active on computers/etc? At least a fair proportion of the chubby people I know don't spend their lives screwing up everyone else's education and actually try in lessons, unlike most of the school.
    That's different. What I was referring to is when a fat person moans and complains about being fat - yet are too lazy to change their diet, go to a gym etc.

(Original post by bun)
    Wow, looks liek you've got a troubled past involving a fat person? That or you are just a stuck up pig, - respect other people's choices, some may be portly but clever, which is prefereable to being fit but 'thick' if you see what I mean.
    Nope. I just don't respect people whom don't respect themselves.

ReputationRep:
    You're over reacting if you think a size 12 - 14 is obese!

ReputationRep:
    That's different. What I was referring to is when a fat person moans and complains about being fat - yet are too lazy to change their diet, go to a gym etc. ...
    Erm, yeah. Pull the other one.

ReputationRep:
    That's different. What I was referring to is when a fat person moans and complains about being fat - yet are too lazy to change their diet, go to a gym etc.

Just because someone may be slightly chubby doesn't mean they don't look after themselves. They may not have the time to go to the gym etc. Also, unfortunately, though there is no such thing as the 'fat gene' each person has a different inherited metabolism. I for example go to the gym twice a week, and play football three times a week if not more, and yet am still fairly portly.
    Finally, it is healthier to be slightly overweight than it is to be a drug addict (and I include smoking and drinking in that.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Just because someone may be slightly chubby doesn't mean they don't look after themselves. They may not have the time to go to the gym etc. Also, unfortunately, though there is no such thing as the 'fat gene' each person has a different inherited metabolism. I for example go to the gym twice a week, and play football three times a week if not more, and yet am still fairly portly.
    Finally, it is healthier to be slightly overweight than it is to be a drug addict (and I include smoking and drinking in that.)
    It is healthier to be an alcoholic than a heroin addict. Does that make the former better or more acceptable than the latter? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonjourmc)
    I blame teachers and parents for obesity. If they hadn't come down so hard on bullying it wouldn't be an issue. Shame was the method for stopping obesity, and it no longer exists.
    I don't know about bullying, i do think its bred many sensitive pussies i mean common i read in the news some time ago a class of year 8s burst out crying(not all of them but the majority) when the teacher made a joke about them having to stay in school over night.

but i don't think bullying ever tackled obesity only pussies get bullied, i was fat at school and am still pretty chubby(not as bad) but i never got bullied because i just smacked whoever tried it. The only people who actually get bullied are going to be pretty useless at life anyway and all the fat people i know were fat and "active" as it were(played rugby,boxed) so they were strong and didn't take ****. Unless the bullies could find the fat kid who couldn't fight then it wouldn't cure obesity.

ReputationRep:
    im fat and i have self respect, i respect myself enough not to make myself look how i dont want to look just because others say i should look like that

i respect myself enough to allow myself to eat food i like rather than food i dont like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzseeker)
    I'm about 6ft and weigh 9 stone
    Do you really think you're in a position to comment on other people's figures, then? :rofl:

ReputationRep:

I'd love for you to have a go at butter bean or any of the fat olympic weight lifters, yeah they don't respect themselves at all :rolleyes:

And as above World level atheltes, especially weightlifters tend to be fat at the higher weight classes and they spend their whole lives in the gym. I boxed competitively for years and trained 4 times a week but i was still fat, not lazy though.

Nearly all of the "skinny" people i know have never set foot in a gym and have never competed in any sport, they eat more than me and eat unhealthier things than me but still remain skinny, i would argue that all the **** they pump into their body is them disrepecting themselves, it was televised that fat people who are active are healthier than skinny people who are not active because the fat people were exercising and keeping their bodies healthy (on the inside) where as people who are "skinny fat" are more likely to get heart disease.

In short lay off the fat people, they may not be lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libtolu)
    I'd love for you to have a go at butter bean or any of the fat olympic weight lifters, yeah they don't respect themselves at all :rolleyes:

And as above World level atheltes, especially weightlifters tend to be fat at the higher weight classes and they spend their whole lives in the gym. I boxed competitively for years and trained 4 times a week but i was still fat, not lazy though.

Nearly all of the "skinny" people i know have never set foot in a gym and have never competed in any sport, they eat more than me and eat unhealthier things than me but still remain skinny, i would argue that all the **** they pump into their body is them disrepecting themselves, it was televised that fat people who are active are healthier than skinny people who are not active because the fat people were exercising and keeping their bodies healthy (on the inside) where as people who are "skinny fat" are more likely to get heart disease.

Weight lifters are 'fat' for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    im fat and i have self respect, i respect myself enough not to make myself look how i dont want to look just because others say i should look like that

i respect myself enough to allow myself to eat food i like rather than food i dont like
    Couldn't agree with you more

ReputationRep:
    It is healthier to be an alcoholic than a heroin addict. Does that make the former better or more acceptable than the latter? No.
    Clutching at straws now aren't you? The original argument was that you claimed all fat people were lazy, I just said they may do other things, and be healthier than others.
    Also, I can't stand the weak willed morons (probably such as yourself) who look good just because they think it's the 'in thing' and claim to have self respect, but are keeping fit just to gain respect from others. It shows much better character to be slightly chubby and be the person you want to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Clutching at straws now aren't you? The original argument was that you claimed all fat people were lazy, I just said they may do other things, and be healthier than others.
    Also, I can't stand the weak willed morons (probably such as yourself) who look good just because they think it's the 'in thing' and claim to have self respect, but are keeping fit just to gain respect from others. It shows much better character to be slightly chubby and be the person you want to be.
    I'm actually an athlete, my body is merely a byproduct of that. Just as a person with a lazy life style has a disgusting body.

I don't need to clutch the straws. Everything you've said to me is dull and hasn't even inspired me to respond.
    - I think being fat is disgusting
    - Therefore, IMO, no one would want to be fat unless it was necessary
    = People who are fat, for no reason = lazy as they can't be bothered to lose the weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libtolu)
    a lot of people make this assumption about fat people, i love it when then make it about me and i pwn them by saying i work out 6 days a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Couldn't agree with you more

thank you

ReputationRep:
    I think she may have been a bit bigger than a 14.
    I'm a 14 on bottom if it's a tight skirt or skinny Jeans. Size 10-12 on top. I've had no complaints about my body. I think what you honestly need to remember is that beauty is different to everybody. Also, if somebody larger knows how to dress, it looks fine!

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually an athlete, my body is merely a byproduct of that. Just as a person with a lazy life style has a disgusting body.

I don't need to clutch the straws. Everything you've said to me is dull and hasn't even inspired me to respond.
    - I think being fat is disgusting
    - Therefore, IMO, no one would want to be fat unless it was necessary

= People who are fat, for no reason = lazy as they can't be bothered to lose the weight
    Believe it or not, people don't make decisions based on what you like and what you don't like. :sigh:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.