Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I overreacting to obesity in Britain? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzseeker)
    I'm about 6ft and weigh 9 stone, so I'm about a size 8/10. I hate it whenever I go shopping though because I'm always surrounded by girls who don't seem to give a toss about how they look. Yesterday when I went into Miss Selfridge, there was a girl who was wearing a sleeveless top, and had the biggest rolls of underarm fat you've seen in your life (she was quite easily a size 14). I just looked over with a sort of, 'have some respect :rolleyes:' look. It makes me feel bad enough when I get a bit porky and go up to a size 12, and when these girls don't care about going out looking like heffers, I actually find it quite upsetting.

Am I overreacting, or is this a normal reaction to what is becoming an obese society?
    but you do realize not every fat person is fat due to over eating right?
    And since you can't pinpoint who is fat due to over eating, you can't think of anyone badly....

and the added fact these people are stuck in a cycle...you're obese and get weird looks from people constantly which makes you feel depressed....so you eat more.

It's not easy loosing weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Well then if you're fat, and love it so much - why bother with the gym, why not just eat that extra piece of cake?
    You're such a retard. I never said I loved being fat. That's why I'm DOING something about it, as are many other overweight people out there. Otherwise, diets and excersise designed to lose weight wouldn't exist. So don't make these stupid assumptions.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should seek medical help.
    no i really dont think i should

there are more important things in my life than mine/someone elses looks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    You're such a retard. I never said I loved being fat. That's why I'm DOING something about it, as are many other overweight people out there. Otherwise, diets and excersise designed to lose weight wouldn't exist. So don't make these stupid assumptions.
    Then good luck and respect for trying to change.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should seek medical help.
    *shrugs*
    If you enjoy food that much and not affecting anyone, who cares imo.

ReputationRep:
    I missed my exam because I broke my neck. Yes obviously it is because I'm oh so lazy.

God I hope you don't play chess.
    So you can't get to your exam because you broke your neck? Why does that stop you, and why haven't you retaken your exam? - Laziness! (Remember - Idleness rusts the mind - and its clearly starting on yours!)

ReputationRep:
    Actually I broke my neck.
    Do you write with your neck?

ReputationRep:
    Then good luck and respect for trying to change.
    then respect others as well and acknowledge that most overweight people actually DO make an effort to lose weight. okay? :borat:

ReputationRep:
    then respect others as well and acknowledge that most overweight people actually DO make an effort to lose weight. okay? :borat:
    I guess it was my fault for not specifying at the start that people who are fat and are trying to deal with it and in doing so accept it isn't healthy - I have no problem with and would gladly help them lose their weight.

The people who lack self-respect and are too lazy to actually bother to lose the weight I have no respect for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failed123)
    Do you write with your neck?
    Yes :p:

ReputationRep:
    I guess it was my fault for not specifying at the start that people who are fat and are trying to deal with it and in doing so accept it isn't healthy - I have no problem with and would gladly help them lose their weight.
    The people who lack self-respect and are too lazy to actually bother to lose the weight I have no respect for.
    yeah, now try and twist around your own words.

ReputationRep:
    I have no respect for.

i do not need nor want your respect i have the respect of my bf and family

ReputationRep:
    I can kind of see what your saying about people not wanting to take care of themselves etc. when it becomes to being really overweight. People that don't attempt to loose weight or care that are really obese and don't bother with i agree.

But the example you have given, especially the sizing is a complete load of rubbish!
    I have been size 14 in some bottoms and although i don't claim to be skinny at all, i am not over weight and have a middle range BMI. I make an effort most the time with the way i look, and i would be offended if you saw my photo with my sizing and was like "omg she is really fat and disgusting". Not everyone is a size 8, it is a fact. Anyways i have a friend who is a size 6-8 but she does nothing healthy, eats so much rubbish, cant even exercise at all without getting a stitch, so there are other factors to being healthy- not just based on being skinny.... I think you should be careful criticising sizes because it really depends on your height etc. too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzseeker)
    The thing is though, the fact that they're a size 14 quite clearly shows that they're overweight, so why be proud of that?
    my BMI's 21 and I have to wear a 14 the majority of the time on tight skirts or jeans because I have big hips. I don't look a size 14.

ReputationRep:
    I missed my exam because I broke my neck. Yes obviously it is because I'm oh so lazy.

God I hope you don't play chess.
    I see you have no reply for my argument (or are you just too lazy to reply?!)
    In order to settle this, and prove that you are a self obsessed moron, you claim that fat people are failures, and are lazy. Lets have a look at some famous examples. Donald Trump - he is hardly lazy, and hardly has any spare time he just uses his brain instead of training his brawn. (and he's a billionaire - showing success, and clearly enjoys his lifestyle.)
    Rafael Benitez - He goes out onto the training pitches every day with Liverpool, does his own personal work in the gym, and spends time planning etc, therefore anything but lazy, and incredibly succesful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    I see you have no reply for my argument (or are you just too lazy to reply?!)
    In order to settle this, and prove that you are a self obsessed moron, you claim that fat people are failures, and are lazy. Lets have a look at some famous examples. Donald Trump - he is hardly lazy, and hardly has any spare time he just uses his brain instead of training his brawn. (and he's a billionaire - showing success, and clearly enjoys his lifestyle.)
    Rafael Benitez - He goes out onto the training pitches every day with Liverpool, does his own personal work in the gym, and spends time planning etc, therefore anything but lazy, and incredibly succesful.
    Yes I am too lazy to educate the ignorant. You win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failed123)
    Fruit and veg is cheap as it is. If you crave a Mars bar, you'll buy one regardless... I don't like chocolate though, and I'm still an obese size 14 :mmm: If it wasn't for that pain in the backside depression, I'd be a size 12; bummer :rolleyes:
    Yeah it's not overly expensive... but I paid £1.03 for a cucumber earlier!!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, now try and twist around your own words.
    I thought it was an underlying assumption. Trying to lose weight obviously contradicts the notions of lacking self respect and being lazy

ReputationRep:
    whats it to do with you anyway. Mind your own bloody business.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am too lazy to educate the ignorant. You win.
    Is that why despite many people criticising you, you haven't learned - you're to lazy to teach yourself?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.