Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I overreacting to obesity in Britain? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Is that why despite many people criticising you, you haven't learned - your to lazy to teach yourself?
    Nope I am too lazy to teach you, because, well, it would take eternity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    I thought it was an underlying assumption. Trying to lose weight obviously contradicts the notions of lacking self respect and being lazy
    exactly :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Nope I am too lazy to teach you, because, well, it would take eternity.
    It would take 'an' eternity - see fit but thick (are you sure you didn't just fail English).
    On that note, I think its best if we bury the hatchet so to speak and agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    They haven't made a choice to be overweight. They've made the choice of not having any respect for their body or health by having such a disgusting diet. Fat people are just lazy.
    totally agree, if u wanna lose weight its very possible to lose it, i dont mean ending up with a skinny body, just a normal sized body.

theres always special cases but, when you're young its not that hard to lose weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zacker008)
    totally agree, if u wanna lose weight its very possible to lose it, i dont mean ending up with a skinny body, just a normal sized body.

theres always special cases but, when you're young its not that hard to lose weight
    lies. being young doesn't make losing weight easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    lies. being young doesn't make losing weight easy.
    It does in a way as I was always skinny till I was about 24 then piled on the pounds, likely due to a hormonal change as at same time my back piled up with hair as did my shoulders and need to shave once or twice a day instead of once every 2 days or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    It does in a way as I was always skinny till I was about 24 then piled on the pounds, likely due to a hormonal change as at same time my back piled up with hair as did my shoulders and need to shave once or twice a day instead of once every 2 days or so.
    yeah, but your personal experiences with weight cannot be applied to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    This is why I avoid going out, incase something thinks this of me

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but your personal experiences with weight cannot be applied to everyone.
    No but a lot of people I know around my age have put on loads of weight, in fact I was talking to a friend I havent seen in 4 years last week and said to him I started putting on weight when I was around 24 and he said he was exactly the same and I remember back when I was 19 him saying that to me.

Even my older brother who was underweight till he was 26 suddenly piled on the pounds and many people from school(mainly guys) are now chuby or fat and at school most were thin, in fact the only thin ones that I have seen in the last few years were the ones who spent a lot of time in the gym each day(like using weights)

Thats why when people get out of their twenties they are more broader, both males and females and it requires crazy amounts of exercise to stay thin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    No but a lot of people I know around my age have put on loads of weight, in fact I was talking to a friend I havent seen in 4 years last week and said to him I started putting on weight when I was around 24 and he said he was exactly the same and I remember back when I was 19 him saying that to me.

Even my older brother who was underweight till he was 26 suddenly piled on the pounds and many people from school(mainly guys) are now chuby or fat and at school most were thin, in fact the only thin ones that I have seen in the last few years were the ones who spent a lot of time in the gym each day(like using weights)

Thats why when people get out of their twenties they are more broader, both males and females and it requires crazy amounts of exercise to stay thin.
    and how does any of that prove that it's easier to lose weight if you're young?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzseeker)
    I'm about 6ft and weigh 9 stone, so I'm about a size 8/10. I hate it whenever I go shopping though because I'm always surrounded by girls who don't seem to give a toss about how they look. Yesterday when I went into Miss Selfridge, there was a girl who was wearing a sleeveless top, and had the biggest rolls of underarm fat you've seen in your life (she was quite easily a size 14). I just looked over with a sort of, 'have some respect :rolleyes:' look. It makes me feel bad enough when I get a bit porky and go up to a size 12, and when these girls don't care about going out looking like heffers, I actually find it quite upsetting.

Am I overreacting, or is this a normal reaction to what is becoming an obese society?
    If she's a size 14 and has a pretty face and is friendly then alot of men will find her attractive. You're very tall and slim. So it is unlikely you have any hips or chest. In which case you are not womanly. The fact you have made 6 postings today and have already clocked up 5 warnings suggests you might also have an attitude problem. Which is never cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lastplace)
    It's none of your business how people look if they themselves are comfortable with how they look. Stop being so judgemental.
    I have no idea what people have said in the last 4 pages, but this (the above) line of thought is ******* ridiculous.

It has little to do with looks, as far as I'm concerned. Although fat people are disgusting to look at. What is a concern is the fact that a third of under 10s are overweight to obese.. No one can defend that. No one. Say what you want about smokers, extreme sports enthusiasts, whatever. Under 10s don't smoke, under 10s don't skydive. But a third of under 10s most definitely are over-*******-weight.

You want to know why? It's because of the types of people in this thread that are defending fatties.

Absolute disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igor00)
    Under 10s don't smoke,

you would be surprised

kids are obese because of their parents no one else, we arnt the ones buying their food, we arnt the ones letting them sit on their ass on the PS3 instead of telling them to get out and play football or run around

no, no one is to blame but the parents of said children

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what people have said in the last 4 pages, but this (the above) line of thought is ******* ridiculous.

It has little to do with looks, as far as I'm concerned. Although fat people are disgusting to look at. What is a concern is the fact that a third of under 10s are overweight to obese.. No one can defend that. No one. Say what you want about smokers, extreme sports enthusiasts, whatever. Under 10s don't smoke, under 10s don't skydive. But a third of under 10s most definitely are over-*******-weight.

You want to know why? It's because of the types of people in this thread that are defending fatties.

Absolute disgrace.
    So are people like you. A size fourteen is hardly obese.

GTFO.

ReputationRep:
    So are people like you. A size fourteen is hardly obese.

GTFO.
    What's your point? I take it you're fat? Where did I mention sizes? Where did I say size fourteen is obese? Are you going to respond to any of the actual content in my post, or any you just going to smugly tell me to 'GTFO'?

(Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    you would be surprised

kids are obese because of their parents no one else, we arnt the ones buying their food, we arnt the ones letting them sit on their ass on the PS3 instead of telling them to get out and play football or run around

no, no one is to blame but the parents of said children
    Missing the point. You don't find a third of under 10s smoking, do you? And I'm sure Social Services would have something to say if they discovered a parent was giving their preteen cigarettes!

And again, did I say that parents weren't to blame? They are. But so is the increasing acceptance of the overweight and the obese, yet the increasing derision of, for example, smokers.

ReputationRep:

Missing the point. You don't find a third of under 10s smoking, do you? And I'm sure Social Services would have something to say if they discovered a parent was giving their preteen cigarettes!

And again, did I say that parents weren't to blame? They are. But so is the increasing acceptance of the overweight and the obese, yet the increasing derision of, for example, smokers.

no it isnt, the parents are the ONLY ones to blame

its like blaming the media for teen girls wanting to be thin, some people do i know but its a load of BS IMO, its about time people started taking responsibility for their actions and stop trying to blame others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzseeker)
    I'm about 6ft and weigh 9 stone, so I'm about a size 8/10. I hate it whenever I go shopping though because I'm always surrounded by girls who don't seem to give a toss about how they look. Yesterday when I went into Miss Selfridge, there was a girl who was wearing a sleeveless top, and had the biggest rolls of underarm fat you've seen in your life (she was quite easily a size 14). I just looked over with a sort of, 'have some respect :rolleyes:' look. It makes me feel bad enough when I get a bit porky and go up to a size 12, and when these girls don't care about going out looking like heffers, I actually find it quite upsetting.

Am I overreacting, or is this a normal reaction to what is becoming an obese society?
    If it makes any difference, the Wii fit says I am over-weight (The level meter was 1mm above the line!. Might have something to do with the over-indulgence of yesterday evening though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Being a size 14-16, my arms aren't skinny, but they aren't huge!
    I have a flat stomach, but massive hips and boobs, which I really cannot help.
    At 5ft 10, I'd like to think I'm healthy....
    If you're model skinny, congrats.
    (Y)

ReputationRep:
    What's your point? I take it you're fat? Where did I mention sizes? Where did I say size fourteen is obese? Are you going to respond to any of the actual content in my post, or any you just going to smugly tell me to 'GTFO'?

Did you even read the OP's original post? Do you agree with her attitude towards a couple of girls at a shopping mall just because she didn't like the way they looked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    no it isnt, the parents are the ONLY ones to blame

its like blaming the media for teen girls wanting to be thin, some people do i know but its a load of BS IMO, its about time people started taking responsibility for their actions and stop trying to blame others
    So you're going to completely deny the effect that society has on people's actions? Nice one. That's like saying that the early advertisements for tobacco had no effect on the amount of people that took up smoking, and that peer pressure amongst teens is a myth.

You cannot deny that in recent years, the 'big is beautiful' mantra has increased ten-fold. But to deny that this is in anyway to blame for increased obesity rates is stupid. But just to be clear, incase you couldn't already tell - I agree that fat parents are to blame for fat children. It's disgusting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.