Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm not at university yet, so I haven't had any experience of university accommodation. However, I imagine that they must be very dangerous places.

Think about it, you're going to be living with 3-10 other people who you might not necessarily get on with. I can imagine that fights break out between the students on a regular basis. Yet for some reason I've never heard of such a case being reported on The Student Room. Why is that?

Is it because university is some sort of Utopia where we learn to put aside personal differences? I can't believe that this would be true. Sure, we're not children anymore, but fights still break out between adults. Especially when living with someone, I imagine that over time you'll resent them more and more until the point where you just snap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Think about it, you're going to be living with 3-10 other people who you might not necessarily get on with. I can imagine that fights break out between the students on a regular basis. Yet for some reason I've never heard of such a case being reported on The Student Room. Why is that?
    Because, with very few exceptions, it doesn't happen.

If someone was stupid enough to start a fight in university accomodation they would probably get themselves thrown out pretty quickly. Don't piss off any really drunk people and university accomodation is perfectly safe.

ReputationRep:
    erm.. i don't know how things work in turkey, but here in britain, frequent fights between students don't happen

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing to be afraid of! As long as you and other students act civilised towards one another, and most do, there is no problem. I don't see how university accommodation is dangerous

ReputationRep:
    Most people, especially university students, aren't violent thugs.

Can you seriously not imagine adults living together without physically fighting? You've probably just revealed a lot about your upbringing...

ReputationRep:
    In my entire first year of uni, no one I knew got into a fight whilst in halls. Obviously people do argue and not get on sometimes, but that doesn't have to break down into violence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    In my entire first year of uni, no one I knew got into a fight whilst in halls. Obviously people do argue and not get on sometimes, but that doesn't have to break down into violence.
    Couldn't have said it any better. In general everyone gets on really, really well!

Obviously people do argue and not get on sometimes, but that doesn't have to break down into violence.
    But if people argue, then surely this must lead to some fights. How do they suddenly calm down? It's not as if the fire sprinklers suddenly turn on to cool everyone down when things get heated. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think one of the main skills you learn at Uni, especially from living in halls, is how to get along with people you don't necessarily like. You don't have to be best friends with your flatmates to still be polite and respectful.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

Maybe people aren't yobbish thugs?

ReputationRep:
    Even if you all end up hating each others guts you won't fight. You'll try to keep the peace for as long as you have to live with them..

ReputationRep:
    But if people argue, then surely this must lead to some fights. How do they suddenly calm down? It's not as if the fire sprinklers suddenly turn on to cool everyone down when things get heated. :p:
    You just learn to control your temper. In the long run, if you start fights all the time then no one's going to like you very much. Like someone else said, living in halls is about learning to live with other people.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this is pretty much it. It's like with anything in life, some people you get along with, some you don't - but you just have to deal with it, unless you want the trouble of moving house / finding a new job / leaving university accomodation... or whatever other situation it may be.

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying that university is full of the upper class who are more calm and controlled than the working class? Surely even those toffs must get angry sometimes, it's only human nature.
    Most people aren't aggressive at all though unless someone attacks them first or insults them harshly. Arguments about who stole the milk or mouldy washing up aren't going to end in a bloodbath. Seriously, even though people do argue in halls it's usually about really mundane stuff. If you really don't like someone you just avoid them.

ReputationRep:
    The only dangerous thing that ever happened to me in halls was when my bookshelves fell on my head. Ouch.

ReputationRep:
    uni halls of residence are not dangerous, although for someone with your views and attitudes...they may well be extremely dangerous

ReputationRep:
    I think that's a bit harsh. We just give 'honour' importance than the English.

What about Scotland, like at Glasgow University, they're a bit more 'excitable' than the English aren't they? I'm just a bit worried since that's where I might be going.
    I'm a southerner, so I don't really know, but every time I've been north I've found that people are generally much more friendly and less "cold", if that makes any sense.

Loads of people can't handle their alcohol though, and you'll find any fights that do happen are almost invariably because at least one person has drunk so much that they can't control themselves anymore (just watch any cops-with-cameras style show and you'll have more evidence for this than you could possibly need).

ReputationRep:
    I think that's a bit harsh. We just give 'honour' importance than the English.

What about Scotland, like at Glasgow University, they're a bit more 'excitable' than the English aren't they? I'm just a bit worried since that's where I might be going.
    That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation. Us scots can be civilised as well! Just like anywhere else in the world, you'll get people who are stupid and get into fights, or you'll get people (like most uni students) who are all there to enjoy the experience and get on with people.

So just calm the hell down, you're not gonna have to watch the corners while you walk down the corridor incase someone blindsides you with their fist.

Man it sounds like you grew up in a warzone....

ReputationRep:
    1. Good universities attract nerds.
    2. Nerds are not specially adapted to fights.

Thus if you are nerdy enough to get into a good uni, you have nothing to fear.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at university yet, so I haven't had any experience of university accommodation. However, I imagine that they must be very dangerous places.

Is it because university is some sort of Utopia where we learn to put aside personal differences? I can't believe that this would be true. Sure, we're not children anymore, but fights still break out between adults. Especially when living with someone, I imagine that over time you'll resent them more and more until the point where you just snap.
    I don't know how things go in Turkey but such things don't happen here! You have absolutely nothing to worry about if anything student accomodation is probably safer then private accommodation 'cause you always got the uni to help you out.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.