Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Me and the girlfriend are both applying to leicester together for 2010 entry and genuinely have our hearts set on the place. I'm applying for maths and she's applying for law. After the january exams went a bit disasterously for her (her teachers mistake ended up in her putting all her hours into preparing for the old law specification, and was a victim of AQAs now infamous "Shrewgate" ) she's taken a bit of a knock to her confidence and isn't sure if she'll manage AAA anymore. The prospect of her going into clearing or repeating a year is frankly terrifying,
    so if there are any law students at UoL, particularly those who got in last year : Did you make your offers? If not how far off them were you?
    Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Bit confused, did she do the old legacy A levels, therefore cannot retake??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexuali)
    Bit confused, did she do the old legacy A levels, therefore cannot retake??
    Thanks for the quick response. No basically there's a new syllabus this year and her teacher assured her that it would be almost identical to the old one. She used the legacy papers to revise and really was bashing on getting 95-100% on all of them, hours and hours and hours spent a day. Got into the exam and the new format meant almost half the exam was testing knowledge from AS that, not only had she not revised, she'd almost entirely forgotten. It wasn't very fair, and she's gone from hoping for an A* to praying for an A, "by some miracle" as she put it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korobeiniki)
    Thanks for the quick response. No basically there's a new syllabus this year and her teacher assured her that it would be almost identical to the old one. She used the legacy papers to revise and really was bashing on getting 95-100% on all of them, hours and hours and hours spent a day. Got into the exam and the new format meant almost half the exam was testing knowledge from AS that, not only had she not revised, she'd almost entirely forgotten. It wasn't very fair, and she's gone from hoping for an A* to praying for an A, "by some miracle" as she put it.

I'm guessing she started her AS in 2008 then? So she's in year 13/second year of sixthform.

If that's the case, she can retake the exam in the Summer.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah she is, even so that wasn't really what I was asking, re. uni application. It was more if worst comes to worst, from experience, how lenient are leicesters law dept?

ReputationRep:
    Ah right I see.
    I doubt they are very lenient. I don't know from experience but I know getting in if you missed the offer is going to be tough this year due to rise in applicants and uni's not wanting oversubscribed courses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korobeiniki)
    Yeah she is, even so that wasn't really what I was asking, re. uni application. It was more if worst comes to worst, from experience, how lenient are leicesters law dept?
    After going on the Leicester Law Open Day I can tell you they will be pretty lenient. If your girlfriend firms Leicester and then gets AAB, then I'm pretty sure they'll take her if they have places. Any lower though and she'll be in trouble.

I don't want to interfere, but I would say if you have an offer for Warwick to do Maths, I wouldn't spurn that chance over Leicester. You may not be with your girlfriend, but if you two are a strong couple, you'll get through it, and you'll also have a degree from in my opinion the best Maths department in the country other than Cambridge Though saying this, me and my girlfriend will be possibly going to Leicester, both to study law, so if you still did choose Leicester in order to be together, I completely understand where you're coming from, even if others won't.

Anyway, I've rambled a bit, but best of luck to the both of you and I hope I've helped a little bit

ReputationRep:
    Leicester would be a great place to study Mathematics in particular. It's one of Leicester's highest ranking subjects and I like the look of the Maths building (you'd be right in front of Stirling and Gowan's famous Engineering building too). For Law too it ranks respectably well.

Of course there are a handful of universities that are more highly ranked for Mathematics.
    Putting aside Oxbridge for a second, Warwick is not necessarily for everyone as it may be a nice place to visit but it can feel weird living on a 60s campus. St Andrews is a very small place with not much modernity- not for everyone.

I'd say that Leicester University genuinely does have something for everyone- tradition and modernity- lovely place. Maybe it's just me but Leicester seemed to attract its fair share of eccentrics too making it an interesting place.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.