Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am taking a gap year and applying to Cam during my gap year. I always thought that cambridge would never see the retakes I did, as I did quite badly in some (ie. C, C, D, D, E) but I got them up to decent As.
    However, I read on the "applying to cambridge" thread by FJ that we must put ALL our retakes/failed modules on the SAQ; if so, I don't think I should both applying

Lil' help?

ReputationRep:
    apply!!! its only one option. and even if you dont get in, the interviews are a really good experience, and you never know you may get in.

as long as you can come up with a decent reason why you did so poorly originally, you still have a chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    apply!!! its only one option. and even if you dont get in, the interviews are a really good experience, and you never know you may get in.

as long as you can come up with a decent reason why you did so poorly originally, you still have a chance
    But I've done some modules twice! And gone from D -> B -> A

And I believe I got a U in stats >-<

I would apply if it were a couple of retakes, but I have retaken so many! Yes, my final grades are quite good - but I just didn't put much effort in the first time round ~~~~~~~~~

Why didn't anyone tell me this before~?! :P: I thought that, if you took a gap year, cambridge don't see any retakes

Oh, wait! I just realised that my school does not certificate grades until the end of this year (both AS and A2), does this change things in any way? *becomes a little hopeful*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resume)
    But I've done some modules twice! And gone from D -> B -> A

And I believe I got a U in stats >-<

I would apply if it were a couple of retakes, but I have retaken so many! Yes, my final grades are quite good - but I just didn't put much effort in the first time round ~~~~~~~~~

Why didn't anyone tell me this before~?! :P: I thought that, if you took a gap year, cambridge don't see any retakes

Oh, wait! I just realised that my school does not certificate grades until the end of this year (both AS and A2), does this change things in any way? *becomes a little hopeful*
    doubt the fact that they dont certificate grades until the end of this year changed much.

you could always just put down your final marks, and attempt to get away with it.

i'd personally just put down your original grades you got then your final ones. and come up with a good reason as to why you screwed them up first time around.

"i couldn't be bothered to put the effort in" just won't work. as then they'll assume that when you're here you wont put the effort in.

and to be honest, the fact that you got such low grades shows you aren't really cambridge standard. the exams i didnt put any effort into, i still scraped A's in. the ones i put effort into , i got 95%+. and i'm struggling a hell of alot here.

dont let that put you off applying though. i would literally advise you to do it just for the experience if nothing else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    doubt the fact that they dont certificate grades until the end of this year changed much.

you could always just put down your final marks, and attempt to get away with it.

i'd personally just put down your original grades you got then your final ones. and come up with a good reason as to why you screwed them up first time around.

"i couldn't be bothered to put the effort in" just won't work. as then they'll assume that when you're here you wont put the effort in.

and to be honest, the fact that you got such low grades shows you aren't really cambridge standard. the exams i didnt put any effort into, i still scraped A's in. the ones i put effort into , i got 95%+. and i'm struggling a hell of alot here.

dont let that put you off applying though. i would literally advise you to do it just for the experience if nothing else
    It wasn't that I was doing minimal amounts of work, I didn't even know what was on the syllabus. I was going through a rough patch; dad was ill, didn't really care about school.
    When I actually did do some work (at least 2 days of studying) I was getting 90%+ Didn't work for my gcses at all either ... maybe cam isn't meant to be?

PS. I am doing well in languages, without revision, I got 90% in AS French; I just struggled with sciences, don't know why I took them to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Moderators please close this thread, I am going to make a more specific thread if that's okay.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am in year 13, and going to apply for mml at cambridge during my gap year. I read on FJ's thread that you must declare all retakes/fails on the SAQ, do you have to do this if your retakes were uncertified?

My school will certify both my AS and A2 grades in the summer of year 13, would I be to just put my certified grades on my SAQ etc? I know you can do this on UCAS, but am wondering if SAQ is different. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You have to put down all marks for any papers ... regardless of whether your school certificates or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anotheregostar)
    You have to put down all marks for any papers ... regardless of whether your school certificates or not
    This is terrible news for me. May I ask, how would they know that I retook a paper if my school didn't certify them? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This is terrible news for me. May I ask, how would they know that I retook a paper if my school didn't certify them? Thanks
    They get the information from the exam boards, who will send them every exam you've ever taken. It has nothing to do with whether your college certifies them or not.

ReputationRep:
    Retakes are fine as long as you finnish your A levels in the two years and don't retake in your gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _KilgoreTrout_)
    Retakes are fine as long as you finnish your A levels in the two years and don't retake in your gap year.
    Not for Cambridge they're not.

ReputationRep:
    This is terrible news for me.
    Its probably not as bad as you think. If you've done excellently on the second or third attempt it won't disadvantage your application as long as you write some good reasons (in the 'Anything Else you'd like us to know' section of the SAQ). If you were just lazy at first then yeah, that is terrible.

ReputationRep:
    This is terrible news for me.
    It shouldn't be news. It is clearly documented on the Cambridge website. Look at page 16 of the following document:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...ations/saq.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Not for Cambridge they're not.
    Well I took D1 in Jan 09 and got an E, I wasn't ready for the jump from GCSE maths to Alevel Further Maths, then took it in June and got an A, then got an offer from Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _KilgoreTrout_)
    Well I took D1 in Jan 09 and got an E, then took it in June and got an A, then got an offer from Cambridge.
    They do say it's fine to resit one or two modules, but the OP made a post, prior to this one, in regards to resitting multiple modules which are at Ds and Es. I don't know what you applied for, but for Maths/Engineering, they're not interested in D1. I was in a similar situation, having got a D first time around, but they said that they're more interested in core and mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    They do say it's fine to resit one or two modules, but the OP made a post, prior to this one, in regards to resitting multiple modules which are at Ds and Es. I don't know what you applied for, but for Maths/Engineering, they're not interested in D1. I was in a similar situation, having got a D first time around, but they said that they're more interested in core and mechanics.
    Oh right fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    If they find out, they have the right to take an offer away.

Just declare everything.

ReputationRep:
    They get information from exam boards I think. It may not be terrible news, I just got into Cambridge having done a couple of retakes, I don't think it's an issue - I even have an overall grade at C in AS in a subject which is fairly important to my course, but I think the great thing about Cambridge is the interview - I was able to explain my poor grade and prove to them that it didn't show my abilities - so it's not the end of the world!

ReputationRep:
    Were the retakes in sciences/maths or in French? If I'm interpreting your sig correctly, you have an odd combination of subjects considering university choice. If the retakes were in science/maths, that would have less of an impact. It still wouldn't look good, but you could get an offer with a good interview.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.