Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Not for Cambridge they're not.
    my college said it was fine as long as you don't re-take mroe than a coupel of modules. I got an offer for philosophy after a D in C4 (Maths)-without re-taking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempeststurm)
    Were the retakes in sciences/maths or in French? If I'm interpreting your sig correctly, you have an odd combination of subjects considering university choice. If the retakes were in science/maths, that would have less of an impact. It still wouldn't look good, but you could get an offer with a good interview.
    :o:

So, I did really badly in sciences mainly, did fine in French. Breakdown of my marks are as follows:

Biology
    A (90% +)
    B -> A (90%+)
    B

Chemistry
    D -> B -> A
    B -> A
    B

Geography
    C -> A (90%+)

Mathematics
    D -> C (retaking)
    D -> A (90%+)
    U -> A (90%)

French
    A (84%) -> Retaking, (really want 100%)
    A (90%+)

So as you can see, I retook MANY times, but I did well on most of my retakes. I did quite badly at AS, mainly because of the illness of my father, that lead me not to really give a damn about school etc, I turned up to lessons but didn't make notes at all.

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard of the Cambridge Special Access Scheme? From the Cambridge website:

All Colleges support the CSAS. You are eligible for the Scheme if either of the following apply:

Few people from your school/college proceed to higher education AND your family has little or no tradition of studying for a degree.
    Your education has been significantly disrupted or disadvantaged through health or personal problems, disability or difficulties with schooling.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...forms/csas.pdf

ReputationRep:
    If you had special circumstances, make sure it gets mentioned in your reference, or, if you are eligible, apply through CSAS. Retakes shouldn't matter too much, especially if they were due to extenuating circumstances. I mean, obviously, the less the better, but don't let it put you off I'm retaking a module, which I had to declare on the SAQ, and I still got an offer

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I think I am able to apply through that scheme, yes, I think I will

Thanks guys! I might as well give it a show

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.