Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    Yeah we'll see that mate, just because you and some bigots on TSR dislike Islam doesn't mean the rest of the world does. It is still one of the fastest growing religions in most parts of the world.
    Are you so ignorant that you think islam will never decline?
    All religions have a rise and decline.

In a couple thousend years (if we still exist then) people will look back and laugh at christianity and islam like we laugh at the greek gods, or the egyptions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    did you just ask for proof that dinosaurs existed?

i hope i misunderstood.
    Haha you are misunderstood. I was trying to say that the Qur'an doesnt inclde scientific proofs such as dinosaurs, beause the Qur'an is a way of life, a guide and so it tecahes u how to live. Thats what i meant about the Qur'an not being a scientific book and not including proof of dinosaurs etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerness)
    I don't want to give you my actual reply because you'll just come up with some rational logical reply that will reveal my reply as a fallacy....
    There, I think that's what you meant to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))

In a couple thousend years (if we still exist then) people will look back and laugh at christianity and islam like we laugh at the greek gods, or the egyptions
    Surely I can't be wrong? But are you actually thinking that Egyptians didn't exist?

ReputationRep:
    All atheists think in negative ways....

Each to their own I guess. :rolleyes:
    Im sorry, how else would you view a natural disater?
    This ive got to hear :p:

ReputationRep:
    Surely I can't be wrong? But are you actually thinking that Egyptians didn't exist?
    I think it's quite obvious he meant the Egyptian gods.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be daft. The point was that nobody today follows the religion of the ancient Egyptians. Nobody is denying the existence of the Egyptians.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'd actually appreciate my actual reply because you'll just come up with some silly atheist reply....

Silly Atheist reply? :lolwut:

You choose to believe and trust in the words of bronze age, illiterate peasants(the story of which, it has been widely accepted is a complete fiction), or copies of copies of copies of copies of a story concerning a "messiah" The like of which was seen countless times in the ancient world, and was nothing new, instead being almost completely unoriginal. Over modern day, scientists, the collective knowledge of whom is infinitely more vast than that of your prophet or messiah.

And you call us, the nonbelieving silly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iffi)
    Haha you are misunderstood. I was trying to say that the Qur'an doesnt inclde scientific proofs such as dinosaurs, beause the Qur'an is a way of life, a guide and so it tecahes u how to live.

It's not really working out for Islamic society is it? :redface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNack)
    There, I think that's what you meant to say.
    This is just turning into a battle and that's not what I want.

I'm Christian because I've been brought up that way so it influences my views and the way I act. I'm not saying I believe in every single thing the bible says but I do put some of it into practice like the morals and teachings. I've seen the holy spirit meet with people and lives change; what else could that be? How could someone explain someone being healed who was in pain before? Most importantly Jesus has saved me

So tear it up if you like but that's what I believe and will continue todo so because I love my theist life and I've lived the atheist life and it didn't really do me much favours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Rubbish, muslims make very tenous links to the Big Bang theory, sex in plants, the earth's rotation and so forth. You only claim that Allah didn't include dinosaurs in his life coaching booklet because no reference exists in the Qu'ran to dinosaurs.
    The reason people are not finding a verse about dinosaurs could be due to the fact that they haven't understood the entire Quran. Also, lots of people would just say it's not there because they haven't seen it or read the Quran entirely while understanding it 100% to be able to say it does.

The term 'dinosaur' is also the modern word of what those creatures were called thousands of years ago. We do not know what those creatures were referred to exactly, but we can only study the Quran further to make that decision, if it indeed exists in the Quran.

For an example, a lot of people used the excuse of how there is no verse that implies that women have to wear the Hijab (headscarf) and point out only one ayah (verse) that tells women to dress modestly. Of course, that is based on their knowledge of the Quran, little do they know that there exists two more versus that relate to the Headscarf and makes it compulsory. Just because they don't know about it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Everyday or every decade, we discover something new. Whether it be a more clear understanding of what we thought a verse meant, or a complete shift in our views. Islam is over 1400 years old, and to this day we still find something new out, and we still don't completely understand the Quran. Some verses have literal implications, others an underlining meaning or message.

Now, that does not prove that there is a verse about dinosaurs in the Quran, but suggests that it may actually exist in the Quran but has not yet been identified. We do not know what God refers to as 'dinosaurs' in the Quran, but we do know that there is a verse that discusses 'giant creatures/beasts (Dabbah)' in verse 2:164 from the Holy Quran: "...in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth...are signs for a people that are wise"

The same word 'Dabbah' is used the in the verse 24:45: "And God has created every animal from water: of them are some that creep on their bellies; some that walk on two legs; and some that walk on four. God creates what he wills..." There is another verse in the Quran that I found very interesting - Al-Araf:56 "work not confusion in the earth after the fair ordering thereof" which describes how the earth had been "repaired/reordered/restored", suggesting there had been commotion or some problematic event on earth and was restored. It warns the believers to not cause confusion on earth.

Then again, that could mean a whole different thing. But, I do believe, even though the Quran is meant mainly to guide the believers, that there may be some verse that might further explain life millions of years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iffi)
    These are ideas to make you understand why you should believe in Islam:

To begin with here are 3 short stories..
    1)Once, all villagers decidd to pray for rain, on the day of prayer all people gathered and onnly one boy came with and umberella. THAT'S FAITH.
    2)Example of the feeling of a one year old baby. When you throw him in the air, he laughs becuase he knows you will cathc him. THAT'S TRUST.
    3)Every night we go to bed, we have no assurance to wake up alive the next morning, but still we have plans for tomorrow. THAT'S HOPE.
    May God be above you-fr blessings.
    Below you-for support
    Before you- for guidance
    Behind you- for protection
    Besdie you-for comfort
    In your heart-for suustainance!
    And as i would say, Ameen!
    I am a muslim and in Islam, there are 99 names of Allah. one of them includes Al-Mu'min. It means Guardian of faith-He who places faith in the heart of His servants, protects those who seek refuge in Him, and gives tranquility.
    Please feel free to ask some questions, im sorry if i have bored you.
    Okay, I get what you are saying, and I understand the ideas of faith and trust and hope but I'm quite happy to have those things and still not need to believe in a 'God'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))

You are just assuming they will decline, without any real basis.

ReputationRep:
    How could someone explain someone being healed who was in pain before? Most importantly Jesus has saved me
    Placebo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    It's not really working out for Islamic society is it? :redface:
    Well, that's how the media portray it to be. Me, i am very happy. I love my life, i love living it along the islamic path. And i can accept that i am not the best muslim but that is the driving force to make me more of a believer.

ReputationRep:
    Hvae you never thought theists would think the same about atheists?
    Have you never thought about looking at the context of a post before having the wrong response to it? Perhaps my point was a tad beyond your grasp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    No. It has been disproved time and again. A human being is created from a fertilized egg and never is a blood clot. It has flesh and limbs before bones have ossified. Muscles begin forming before and during bone formation. It never becomes another creature. Muhammad was just regurgitating ancient theories of embryology...theories that have all been proven wrong (namely from the Greeks).

http://www.answering-islam.org/Quran...ce/embryo.html
    As far as this thread goes, I'm not especially interested in science, or whether or not the Qur'an's scientific pronouncements are actually true - I'm just giving my opinion on why Muslims cite science in the Qur'an, while simultaneously claiming that the Qur'an is not a science book.

As a side note - when a website titles itself "answering-islam.com", what do you expect to find? Of course it's going to be trying to say that the Qur'anic scientific statements are correct!
    I could just as easily quote Islamic websites, for example:
    http://www.islam-guide.com/ch1-1-a.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qIdg51woug (Relevant part starts at 31:33)
    In particular, the YouTube video is a response specifically to Dr Willam Campbell, the owner of the website that you quoted from.

But when discussing actual scientific facts, it's hardly useful for us to simply pitch anti-Islamic websites against Islamic websites, both of which aim solely to prove or disprove Islam, rather than discover the actual truths of science in reality!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iffi)

Everyday or every decade, we discover something new. Whether it be a more clear understanding of what we thought a verse meant, or a complete shift in our views. Islam is over 1400 years old, and to this day we still find something new out, and we still don't completely understand the Quran.

No, that is called desperately trying to compensate for the modern world and the advance of humanity. Which is rather hard, considering you believe your book to be unalterable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lastplace)
    Okay, I get what you are saying, and I understand the ideas of faith and trust and hope but I'm quite happy to have those things and still not need to believe in a 'God'.
    Yes i understand you, i am not very good at giving examples..so to be fair and i advise you to watch Dr Zakhir Naik. In my opinion, he gives very precise answers to religion. He really made me understand why it is that i believ in God So you can just youtube it and see for yourself. I hope i have helped.

ReputationRep:
    So tear it up if you like but that's what I believe and will continue todo so because I love my theist life and I've lived the atheist life and it didn't really do me much favours.
    There isn't an atheist life, not believing in god/gods doesn't imply you should live a certain way.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.