Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Charzhino)
    You are just assuming they will decline, without any real basis.
    his basis is that ALL religions decline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    That's the equivalent of a little kid putting its fingers in its ears and shouting "La la la la la I can't hear you I'm not listening La la la la la I like cheese la la la laaaa".
    That's not what I'm saying - it's what you're assuming - completely different things - stop tiwisting my words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerness)
    This is just turning into a battle and that's not what I want.

I'm Christian because I've been brought up that way so it influences my views and the way I act. I'm not saying I believe in every single thing the bible says but I do put some of it into practice like the morals and teachings. I've seen the holy spirit meet with people and lives change; what else could that be? How could someone explain someone being healed who was in pain before? Most importantly Jesus has saved me

So tear it up if you like but that's what I believe and will continue todo so because I love my theist life and I've lived the atheist life and it didn't really do me much favours.
    And if you'd been born and brought up in Iraq you'd be Muslim and would be living your life according to Islamic values. Had you been born in ancient Egypt you would believe in Anubis and Ra. There is nothing special about your faith that makes it right, it is just the one you happened to have been brought up in. If your faith helps you life day to day that's fine. I have nothing at all against people practicing the positive lessons of religion e.g. be good to others, do not judge etc. but I take issue when it comes to believing in a supernatural deity. I just can't see the point. He isn't necessary.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'd actually appreciate my actual reply because you'll just come up with some silly atheist reply....
    Religion deforms the view on reality, stopping me from seeing what is real and what is not. Basically, I restricts me from thinking rationally, and logically.

Just like your previous posts, most of them are high illogical and lack any proper reasoning.

i.e. "All atheists think in negative ways....

Each to their own I guess. "

You said ALL. You just generalised the whole atheist community (which is one of the principle forms of illogical thinking), as there is no such link between being an atheist and being pessimistic. They are two independant factors.

ReputationRep:
    Surely I can't be wrong? But are you actually thinking that Egyptians didn't exist?
    Ugh...read it again and then reply..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNack)
    And if you'd been born and brought up in Iraq you'd be Muslim and would be living your life according to Islamic values. Had you been born in ancient Egypt you would believe in Anubis and Ra. There is nothing special about your faith that makes it right, it is just the one you happened to have been brought up in. If your faith helps you life day to day that's fine. I have nothing at all against people practicing the positive lessons of religion e.g. be good to others, do not judge etc. but I take issue when it comes to believing in a supernatural deity. I just can't see the point. He isn't necessary.
    Did you not see the last bit I wrote in that paragraph?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have anything to contribute, but I just Wikipedia-ed this topic and ended up here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Point_(Tipler)
    Could anybody explain this theory to me in simpler terms?

ReputationRep:
    GDP per capita

Religious Importance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    No, that is called desperately trying to compensate for the modern world and the advance of humanity. Which is rather hard, considering you believe your book to be unalterable.
    The Qur'an is unalterable. But, the world/society is the opposite. That is how we come to understand the Qur'an. Youtube Dr Zakir Naik. for cleared better explanations if you want.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Moe Lester]
    You should youtube Dr Zakhir Naik. Or watch him on peace tv.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    GDP per capita

Religious Importance
    Correlation does not imply causation and America seems pretty religious to me and they happen to be on the majority a very Christian country. What the hell does money have to do with religious observance anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Did you not see the last bit I wrote in that paragraph?
    So tear it up if you like but that's what I believe and will continue todo so because I love my theist life and I've lived the atheist life and it didn't really do me much favours.
    Like I said, whatever helps you get through the day. But don't try to claim that your religion is special because you adhere to it. Telling yourself over and over that something is true doesn't make it so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    GDP per capita

Religious Importance
    lol

ReputationRep:
    My basis is every other religion that has risen and declined.
    You think those religions thought they were ever going to decline?
    New religions will form, old one will decline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNack)
    Like I said, whatever helps you get through the day. But don't try to claim that your religion is special because you adhere to it: telling yourself over and over that something is true doesn't make it so.
    You wanted my opinion and I gave it. I'm not claiming, you're assuming...

I guess that last bit of what you wrote is just a little tease for me to reply and argue...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    My basis is every other religion that has risen and declined.
    You think those religions thought they were ever going to decline?
    New religions will form, old one will decline.
    Hmm I don't really see that happening

ReputationRep:
    Correlation does not imply causation and America seems pretty religious to me and they happen to be on the majority a very Christian country.
    America's religous beliefs are over-exaggerated, they are hardly a Christian country like Saudi is an Islamic country and they are hardly a religious country like it was 50-100 years ago. Christianity is in decline in the USA, albeit slower, largely thanks to evangelicalism, than in Europe.

What the hell does money have to do with religious observance anyway?
    Er everything as the figures exemplify. Wealth=education, time to think, less desperate for heaven and so forth. Name me one country on the entire planet that has become more or no less religious since GDP increased. Pray, do you wish to offer an alternative reason as to why Europe has changed from one of the most religiously devout continents on the planet into one of the least religious?

Hmm I don't really see that happening
    why not?

scientology is only a few decades old.

at the next census there will probably be enough jedi knights registered to make that official.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PimpMobile)
    lol
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Are you so ignorant that you think islam will never decline?
    All religions have a rise and decline.

In a couple thousend years (if we still exist then) people will look back and laugh at christianity and islam like we laugh at the greek gods, or the egyptions
    How does that make me ignorant ? You retard.

Your just assuming that Islam will decline, doesn't make your point true or false. When it will happen we'll see but you cannot make a statement with assurance based on what happened with previous religions/groups neither can you predict what will happen in the future. You cannot compare what happen with that of Christianity with that of Islam, they are two different set of beliefs.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.