The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Moe Lester
That's your proof.........

I do not require rational, logical proof to believe in something. You may say the same about something else. And really, if we both do not accpt each other's beliefs, then we should just leave each other alone.
G8D
Lets hope we leave this aspect of the habit behind.

It seems we can ONLY hope. Look at scientology and such. Its interesting to think what religions will form...:rolleyes:
No evidence, common sense, and I don't feel the need to have a faith/belief in something to live my life properly.
Reply 223
flowerness
You wanted my opinion and I gave it. I'm not claiming, you're assuming...

I guess that last bit of what you wrote is just a little tease for me to reply and argue...

Well yes, I assume that you must think there is something special about your religion, otherwise why would you continue to follow it instead of another one, or instead of relinquishing it altogether?

And that wasn't really my intention in my reply, I was merely stating that the universe doesn't care what you believe. It won't behave in a particular way just because you want it to.
iffi
I do not require rational, logical proof to believe in something. You may say the same about something else. And really, if we both do not accpt each other's beliefs, then we should just leave each other alone.

my all time favourite religious quote.
iffi

Sounds like a cop out...why argue on a thread about atheism if you don't want debate :confused:

I do not require rational, logical proof to believe in a flying spaghetti monster....see the way you will see that statement is how I see your religon. You yourself practice selective atheism, you simply believe in one more god than me.
Reply 226
GottaLovePhysics! :)
My basis is every other religion that has risen and declined.
You think those religions thought they were ever going to decline?
New religions will form, old one will decline.

why don't you prove that. What makes you so sure to believe in this concept and not believe in God?
Reply 227
TheNack
Well yes, I assume that you must think there is something special about your religion, otherwise why would you continue to follow it instead of another one, or instead of relinquishing it altogether?

And that wasn't really my intention in my reply, I was merely stating that the universe doesn't care what you believe. It won't behave in a particular way just because you want it to.

So why on earth are you replying may I ask? If nobody cared about my view then this thread would not exist like it does now.
Moe Lester

Er everything as the figures exemplify. Wealth=education, time to think, less desperate for heaven and so forth. Name me one country on the entire planet that has become more or no less religious since GDP increased. Pray, do you wish to offer an alternative reason as to why Europe has changed from one of the most religiously devout continents on the planet into one of the least religious?

In fact I agree with your trend now. Wealth = luxury, ease of living, increase in materialistic desire, therefore no need to worry about anything since you have the money to buy/do everything and anything you want, so no need to be religious.
morecambebay
my all time favourite religious quote.

If your all time favourite religious quote is "I do not require rational, logical proof to believe in something", I'd like to ask you the following question:

Do you believe in the existence of other minds? Do you believe that other humans besides yourself are conscious?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_other_minds

If so, what is your rational, logical proof?
Charzhino
In fact I agree with your trend now. Wealth = luxury, ease of living, increase in materialistic desire, therefore no need to worry about anything since you have have the money to fix everything so no need to be religious.

Exactly, devout religous belief is almost exclusively for the very old or the very poor.
flowerness
What are your reasons for not believing in a God or religion?!

This is a really short message but I'd like to see what people say first then I'll contribute :smile:

Hey why do you believe in God?

I'll give my response to your question when I hear what you have to say, as I think it may possibly relate.

Forgive me if it's been said, I didn't want to read the entire thread
Reply 232
flowerness
So why on earth are you replying may I ask? If nobody cared about my view then this thread would not exist like it does now.

I'm replying because I want to challenge your opinion. Do I need further reason?
iffi

why don't you prove that. What makes you so sure to believe in this concept and not believe in God?

Er because that can be observed in history...Briton was originally pagan, then became Christian. Iran was originally Zoroastrian and then became Islamic, Greeks originally believed in Zeus .etc. and then became Orthodox Christians and so forth.
Liverpool F.C.™
How does that make me ignorant ? You retard.

Your just assuming that Islam will decline, doesn't make your point true or false. When it will happen we'll see but you cannot make a statement with assurance based on what happened with previous religions/groups neither can you predict what will happen in the future. You cannot compare what happen with that of Christianity with that of Islam, they are two different set of beliefs.

Ulp, hes pulling out the insults, run for cover lads..

You mean we shouldnt look at the past to predict the future?
Just because they belive in diffrent things means squat, the are both followers of a belife. And belifes always have a beggining, a rise (sudden or slow, usualy with a catalyst of some form) and then a peak, followed by a slump, then usualy a reform (such as the nazi movment) before it declines.

However if you do belive islam is the word of god your proberly arnt going to belive anything that clumps it together with other religions.
Reply 235
TheNack
I'm replying because I want to challenge your opinion. Do I need further reason?

Well yes when you tend to contradict yourself in an argument.

Saying you don't care what I think then saying you want to challenge my opinion - does not make sense to me?!
There is no concrete evidence to suggest, in my mind, that a God exists. It all seems far too convenient to say there is a God when pondering the existence of the universe, human kind, physical entities and emotion; I know that people say religion brings social cohesion but I would prefer to not follow a religion that puts all it's faith behind the purported existence of an omni-creator.

Religion annoys me aswell (particularly Christianity, far too pretentious and corrupt) which just increases my disbelief in a God.
Reply 237
Moe Lester
Sounds like a cop out...why argue on a thread about atheism if you don't want debate :confused:

I do not require rational, logical proof to believe in a flying spaghetti monster....see the way you will see that statement is how I see your religon. You yourself practice selective atheism, you simply believe in one more god than me.

No it's not a cop out. I thought you'd appreciate it but ok maybe not. You assume i will see the statement as absurd. But really, i will believe it because nothing is impossible. In fact the word impossible spells the words : I'm possible.
Well if that's what you call it 'selective atheism' so be it. I only believe in one God even if you give my religion the name selective atheism it does notchange my beliefs. The words do not harm me or corrupt me. I still am, will and always believe in God no matter what the name of my religion or whether its a form of 'atheism' or whatever you are logically assuming.
iffi
But really, i will believe it because nothing is impossible. In fact the word impossible spells the words : I'm possible.

So why not consider that there is no God?
Reply 239
flowerness
Well yes when you tend to contradict yourself in an argument.

Saying you don't care what I think then saying you want to challenge my opinion - does not make sense to me?!

Wait, where did I say that?

Latest