Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Er because that can be observed in history...Briton was originally pagan, then became Christian. Iran was originally Zoroastrian and then became Islamic, Greeks originally believed in Zeus .etc. and then became Orthodox Christians and so forth.
    Err history changes don't be so sure that this pattern will continue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iffi)
    [/B]

why don't you prove that. What makes you so sure to believe in this concept and not believe in God?
    Did I say I didnt belive in god?

And im going to keep saying this as so many have replyed to my point about the formation of religions -
    Look to history. So many religions evolve, peak and decline.
    Its true that you cannot prove that this will happen, in the same way you cannot prove you are not an ai computer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iffi)
    Err history changes don't be so sure that this pattern will continue.
    Indeed, as I stated earlier, it is most likely that as countries develop religous observence will decline.

ReputationRep:
    So why not consider that there is no God?
    Sup moe, I wouldnt keep replying to iffi, shes not going to listen.
    So far apparently
    - Everythings possible
    - So dont look at history
    = God.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    too many contradictions

for example, in genesis 'god flew over the water' but several days later, god created water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNack)
    Wait, where did I say that?
    (Original post by TheNack)
    Well yes, I assume that you must think there is something special about your religion, otherwise why would you continue to follow it instead of another one, or instead of relinquishing it altogether?

And that wasn't really my intention in my reply, I was merely stating that the universe doesn't care what you believe. It won't behave in a particular way just because you want it to.
    There.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    You cannot compare what happen with that of Christianity with that of Islam, they are two different set of beliefs.
    They aren't that different. I would compare Islam with post-enlightenment Christianity, although Islams transition from a dominant to passive force in countries and people's lives will likely be accelerated due to modernism and the rapid pace at which it is moving. In fact it is only undergoing a resurgence due to Western interference, Israeli aggression .etc. It appears to be being used as a cultural rallying point .etc. Islam was in decline at the beginning of the 20th century and in 50-100 years time it will likely be at that point again.

ReputationRep:
    So why not consider that there is no God?
    To be fair i have. And i can't comprehend a life without God. I know there is no empirical evidence no visual proof. But, even without these proofs i feel that my life should be submitted to God. I understand your points on why you think religion is false. I guess its just the spiritual aspect that draws me towards believing.

ReputationRep:
    Rationalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Sup moe, I wouldnt keep replying to iffi, shes not going to listen.
    So far apparently
    - Everythings possible
    - So dont look at history
    = God.

:p:
    Sup, yeah I need to go revise and stop arguing with theists, it is depressing how closed-minded some folk can be :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Did I say I didnt belive in god?

And im going to keep saying this as so many have replyed to my point about the formation of religions -
    Look to history. So many religions evolve, peak and decline.
    Its true that you cannot prove that this will happen, in the same way you cannot prove you are not an ai computer.
    Sorry i didn't mean to say that. I just typed i without thinking..I'm talking about you not believing in God btw..
    Yes i see your point and what that moe dude was saying ok ok you could say that some religions may decline at some point but we will never know really unless we live through and experience one that happens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iffi)
    To be fair i have. And i can't comprehend a life without God. I know there is no empirical evidence no visual proof. But, even without these proofs i feel that my life should be submitted to God. I understand your points on why you think religion is false. I guess its just the spiritual aspect that draws me towards believing.
    So it basically makes you feel better, I do understand where you come from...I used to be a Roman Catholic (through upbringing), just think, think and challenge and you will break free of this dark ages rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerness)
    There.
    I said the universe doesn't care, I didn't say I didn't care. Maybe I should have been clearer: 'truth' is something that is constant and unchanging, whether we know of it or not, regardless of whether we choose to accept it. What I actually said was that you can choose to deny the reality of the universe and tell yourself something else: that doesn't make the reality and less true, or your beliefs any more so.

ReputationRep:
    Sup, yeah I need to go revise and stop arguing with theists, it is depressing how closed-minded some folk can be :cool:
    Good luck with your revision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iffi)
    Good luck with your revision!

ReputationRep:
    So it basically makes you feel better, I do understand where you come from...I used to be a Roman Catholic (through upbringing), just think, think and challenge and you will break free of this dark ages rubbish
    Oh i couldn't do that. To you i probably sound so cowardly or stupid to follow such beliefs. And sure you could say it makes me feel better, but it's more than that. Anyway, i g2g. Nice talking to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iffi)
    Sorry i didn't mean to say that. I just typed i without thinking..I'm talking about you not believing in God btw..
    Yes i see your point and what that moe dude was saying ok ok you could say that some religions may decline at some point but we will never know really unless we live through and experience one that happens
    We have lived through many that have happend - (greek and roman gods, egyption, norse, I think you get the idea)

I assume you mean, "we wont know untill it actualy happens?"

(Original post by Fräulein)
    I don't really have anything to contribute, but I just Wikipedia-ed this topic and ended up here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Point_(Tipler)
    Could anybody explain this theory to me in simpler terms?
    The theory is that, when the universe starts contracting, the circumstances will be such that you could build a computer which could run for an infinite amount of time. The idea is that if someone built such a computer then they could create a simulation of a universe, or an infinite number of universes, if they wanted (as there would be no limit on the computational power of the computer).

ReputationRep:
    Whilst there is no proof/evidence that a God exists, there is also no proof/evidence that a God doesn't exist. Whilst previously we did explain many things through the God of the gaps theory, and now have a lot of scientific evidence to explain why things happen, this still doesn't disprove the possibility of a God. The idea of a designer having created the universe is certainly logical, as "nothing can come from nothing", it is simply many atheists look at an anthropomorphic God who lives in a cloud casting spells and close their mind to any other possibility of 'God', in which case of course it can seem illogical.

Whilst atheists can provide evidence against religions and how they are flawed, they cannot provide evidence as to a 'God' being inexistant. The problem I think is because many have this exclusive, fixated idea of a God, and don't open their minds to any other possible forms of this designer. As I said before, you can try and disprove a religious belief of God, but you cannot disprove God itself - if we were created by a God, he doesn't necessarily have to be omnipotent, or omnscient, or benevolent. He doesn't have to be one God, he could be a team of 'Gods' who worked together in creating the universe. People can't limit their understanding of a designer as being either option a) the christian one, option b) the islamic one, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    We have lived through many that have happend - (greek and roman gods, egyption, norse, I think you get the idea)

I assume you mean, "we wont know untill it actualy happens?"
    Yes that is what i meant, sorry

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.