Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    The theory is that, when the universe starts contracting, the circumstances will be such that you could build a computer which could run for an infinite amount of time. The idea is that if someone built such a computer then they could create a simulation of a universe if they wanted (as there would be no limit on the computational power of the computer).
    Strictly speaking, I think the theory says that as the universe contracts and the temperature rises exponentially, then it will be possible to carry out an infinite number of computations in the finite time left in the universe, effectively allowing us to simulate eternity in an instant. Though I could be wrong on the details.

ReputationRep:
    there is no eveidence and i will not look at something blindly and say it is fact and thats an end of it. i hated going through r.e lessons in school as well because try as they might to get pupils interested in other religons they had a tendancy to preach christianity as the right faith. i love when someone in town is preaching to passers by though as it gives me a chance to feel like the better person by not forcing my believe on others as so many religous people do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerness)
    Holy spirit? Bible stories?
    What evidence of the holy spirit?

As for the bible stories... the bible is a product of an with several conflicting accounts, the ones that were picked best served those in charge, man is fallible therefore the bible is fallible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben F)
    Whilst there is no proof/evidence that a God exists, there is also no proof/evidence that a God doesn't exist. Whilst previously we did explain many things through the God of the gaps theory, and now have a lot of scientific evidence to explain why things happen, this still doesn't disprove the possibility of a God. The idea of a designer having created the universe is certainly logical, as "nothing can come from nothing", it is simply many atheists look at an anthropomorphic God who lives in a cloud casting spells and close their mind to any other possibility of 'God', in which case of course it can seem illogical.

Whilst atheists can provide evidence against religions and how they are flawed, they cannot provide evidence as to a 'God' being inexistant. The problem I think is because many have this exclusive, fixated idea of a God, and don't open their minds to any other possible forms of this designer. As I said before, you can try and disprove a religious belief of God, but you cannot disprove God itself - if we were created by a God, he doesn't necessarily have to be omnipotent, or omnscient, or benevolent. He doesn't have to be one God, he could be a team of 'Gods' who worked together in creating the universe. People can't limit their understanding of a designer as being either option a) the christian one, option b) the islamic one, etc etc.
    Yeah we could even be a computer simulation of an alien species. Science basically can't answer anything beyond of the observable universe at this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben F)
    Whilst atheists can provide evidence against religions and how they are flawed, they cannot provide evidence as to a 'God' being inexistant.
    That does, of course, depend largely on one's understanding of 'god'. I think that we can cautiously rule out the existence of an intelligent creator on the grounds of probability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PimpMobile)
    Science basically can't answer anything beyond of the observable universe at this time.
    This does not, of course, mean that religion can provide these answers.

ReputationRep:
    For me the main reason is - What has god done to prove his existence? Scientific proofs grow greater each day, and then there are things like the Haiti earthquake etc, that suggests that there is no god, and if there is, by not stopping these occurences, I would not wish to worship him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben F)
    Whilst atheists can provide evidence against religions and how they are flawed, they cannot provide evidence as to a 'God' being inexistant.
    The burden of proof lies with those who suppose that something is true in the first place, not with those who suppose it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greens)
    That does, of course, depend largely on one's understanding of 'god'. I think that we can cautiously rule out the existence of an intelligent creator on the grounds of probability.
    We can't assign probability which is a concept defined by the mathematical laws in our universe to something which maybe beyond our universe. Ofc there's "probably" no such god as mentioned in religious texts, but we just don't know what's out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PimpMobile)
    We can't assign probability which is a concept defined by the mathematical laws in our universe to something which maybe beyond our universe. Ofc there's "probably" no such god as mentioned in religious texts, but we just don't know what's out there.
    I accept that we can't rely on the concept of probability to completely rule out something. We can, however, rely on it to discount the existence of something. In other words, everything is possible, but it is not likely. For example, the existence of the god of the Bible or the Quran is not a simply 50-50 chance. He almost certainly does not exist.

ReputationRep:
    There is also no evidence that God doesn't exist...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m0man)
    Or that a giant, invisible unicorn is sitting next to you, probability suggests God is man-made.

(Original post by tazarooni89)
    If your all time favourite religious quote is "I do not require rational, logical proof to believe in something", I'd like to ask you the following question:

Do you believe in the existence of other minds? Do you believe that other humans besides yourself are conscious?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_other_minds

If so, what is your rational, logical proof?
    I don't understand your post. Why wouldn't he choose whichever of the various solutions he thinks most rational and logical, and leave it at that?

ReputationRep:
    People, people, can you not see the absurdity of this? All this arguing and "my God is bigger than your God, blah" is simply proving the age-old atheist chestnut that religion causes way more problems than it solves. This thread has become a sad microcosm of everyday life.
    PS A lot of people seem to enjoy taking comments too personally; maybe we should remember that this thread was about asking atheists their opinions and not arguing about which scripture holds the most "truth".
    That is all
    xk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Why wouldn't he choose whichever of the various solutions he thinks most rational and logical, and leave it at that?
    He would choose whichever one appears to be true to him, or would choose whichever one provides a useful outlook on life, rather than actually demanding proof for it.

The existence of other minds is something that most of us believe, just because we take it for granted really - it doesn't lead us to any difficulties, and for the most part, just intuitively looks true. It's an example of many people believing something without a "rational, logical proof" provided to them.

So if someone says "I do not require a rational logical proof to believe something" - well I don't really think that's as ridiculous as it might sound.

ReputationRep:
    Its such a shame the OP stopped replying to her own thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m0man)
    That depends on your definition of god. For instance, there is strong evidence that the god of Islam does not exist because the Quran has been utterly destroyed by scientific discoveries. Though, having said that, it is certainly true we cannot definitely disprove the existence of a supernatural creator of some sort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNack)
    The burden of proof lies with those who suppose that something is true in the first place, not with those who suppose it isn't.
    They're really the same thing though, aren't they?

A person who supposes that a statement is not true is a person who supposes that the opposite of that statement is true.

Suppose we have two statements, P and Q
    P: God exists
    Q: God does not exist.

You're suggesting that someone who says "P is true", needs to provide evidence, while a person who claims "P is not true" does not need to provide any. But the person who claims "P is not true" is simultaneously claiming that "Q is true", in which case they need to provide evidence for this statement.
    If the burden of proof lies with those who suppose that something is true, then those who suppose that Q is true must bear the burden of proof!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greens)
    the Quran has been utterly destroyed by scientific discoveries.
    For example?

ReputationRep:
    no evidence only stories

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.