Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by flowerness)
    What are your reasons for not believing in a God or religion?!

This is a really short message but I'd like to see what people say first then I'll contribute
    I believe you've got to go with the system of belief that presents you with the fewest contradictions. For me, that's an absence of an omnipotent creator. I'm fully tolerant of others choosing to believe different things, as long as they don't harm anybody or attempt to impose their beliefs on them (this is an important condition).

ReputationRep:
    Religion bores me and I couldn't care less?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antzlck)
    I believe God to be the best and most logical explanation for the existence of the universe. The greatest most fundamental question of them all is 'why is there something rather than nothing'?

I could just as easily claim that our universe is but one of many bumbling around making up some larger body which in turn is one of many making up something even bigger ad infinitum.

Maybe there was no beginning or end, maybe there just always is. I guess that leaves room for a creator, of sorts, for our universe, but it wouldn't make this creator all powerful.

The question you posed only really seems 'fundamental' to people as our lives appear to be finite and the idea of 'nothing' at the end is all scary or something. If you can believe in a God that is basically infinite thenblalbabergsert34t5

^hahaha, my ideas came out sopoorly there. 40+ hours awake and too many intoxicants fail. Still, I really don't see any logic in the belief of a god/s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I could just as easily claim that our universe is but one of many bumbling around making up some larger body which in turn is one of many making up something even bigger ad infinitum.

Maybe there was no beginning or end, maybe there just always is. I guess that leaves room for a creator, of sorts, for our universe, but it wouldn't make this creator all powerful.

The question you posed only really seems 'fundamental' to people as our lives appear to be finite and the idea of 'nothing' at the end is all scary or something. If you can believe in a God that is basically infinite thenblalbabergsert34t5

^hahaha, my ideas came out sopoorly there. 40+ hours awake and too many intoxicants fail. Still, I really don't see any logic in the belief of a god/s.
    Maybe the universe has always existed and just is, but the evidence points to the universe having a beginning and an end one day. If the universe did indeed have a beginning then the question posed is pretty profound.

ReputationRep:
    They are against being gay. I think its just a coping mechanism as they can't accept the fact that they don't live forever.

ReputationRep:
    I interpreted the question more as:
    "Why do you not believe in one/many god/s for the creation of the earth/our existence today?"

I am agnostic (which I know means I am basically sitting on the fence, but I have reasons for and against) but my reasons against believing are:
    Big bang/something happened to create the universe ----> why?
    Big bang/something happened to create the universe ----> god did this -----> where did god come from?

It just asks another question.

But in some ways, I do think if there is no god then we are extremely lucky to have all the right conditions for life to exist on our planet, and for us to be able to communicate and live and feel emotions and have memories. These things I feel are.. somehow inbuilt to the very existence of being a human being, which does make it seem like they were put there for a purpose.

But then I think, if the universe is so massive then there is probably at least one other planet with life on it. We are just the lucky planets. Maybe they have more senses/emotions than us. Then we wouldn't feel so special.

(Original post by CandyFlipper)
    What I mean is that there are millions of religions. When someone is say, a Christian, they're rejecting millions of religions and only picking one to believe in.

An atheist and a Christian have a lot in common then, they have the same stance on 99.99999% of religions throughout world history, atheists just apply the same logic to one more religion.

If someone religious wants to understand how an atheists mind works, they only have to consider how they feel about the 99.99999% of religions that they're atheists of too.
    An atheist rejects all religions?

I thought for a moment you were suggesting people are atheist because of their parents! :P

You alright Ben?

ReputationRep:
    This thread confuses me...

(Original post by Philosoraptor)
    This thread confuses me...
    have you been drinking again? :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerness)
    What are your reasons for not believing in a God or religion?!

This is a really short message but I'd like to see what people say first then I'll contribute
    They invented god back in the day when there was no television or bubble-wrap as viable means of entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    you either have faith or you don't , faith doesn';t rely on facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaslug77)
    Because God is just an elaborate version of an imaginary friend that 90% of the world's population seem to share.
    it must be horrible being you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    it must be horrible being you
    Define what you mean by being that person. What you mean by horrible. Are you saying to be that person there is no way in which it could not be horrible?

ReputationRep:
    you either have faith or you don't , faith doesn';t rely on facts.
    The very fact that faith doesn't rely on facts is what makes faith weak.
    If we were to use only faith then we could have faith in anything.
    The FSM.
    The IPU (contradictoins aside).
    The moon is made of cheese (perhaps one may try to widen the definition of cheese?)
    There is only one collar, and everything we perceive as another colour is just another tone.
    An undefinable entity exist (note: this is nonsensical).
    Perhaps you would like to apply logic to your view points, I presume the debate we had a few years ago where you repeated yourself instead of countering peoples points is what you'll do if I'm honest, but I hope not. I also hope your view points have changed, but again, I have doubts.

ReputationRep:
    I want there to be a God so that there is some hope of an afterlife and meaning in this world.

I don't want there to be a God because I believe I can be a good person without calling myself XYZ religion. I find it hard to believe in something there is no real evidence for. Also, all the religions contradict each other, which makes it that little bit harder to understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    The very fact that faith doesn't rely on facts is what makes faith weak.
    If we were to use only faith then we could have faith in anything.
    The FSM.
    The IPU (contradictoins aside).
    The moon is made of cheese (perhaps one may try to widen the definition of cheese?)
    There is only one collar, and everything we perceive as another colour is just another tone.
    An undefinable entity exist (note: this is nonsensical).
    Perhaps you would like to apply logic to your view points, I presume the debate we had a few years ago where you repeated yourself instead of countering peoples points is what you'll do if I'm honest, but I hope not. I also hope your view points have changed, but again, I have doubts.
    there is enough facts to say god exists,but what i mean is faith doens;t rely on facts becuase you either have faith or you don't.

ReputationRep:
    there is enough facts to say god exists,but what i mean is faith doens;t rely on facts becuase you either have faith or you don't.
    Okay, so the following things are needed:
    A definition of God, otherwise I could label almost anything as God.
    The facts that show God's existence that you're talking about.
    Why faith can't be simply applied in the ways I listed in my last post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Okay, so the following things are needed:
    A definition of God, otherwise I could label almost anything as God.
    The facts that show God's existence that you're talking about.
    Why faith can't be simply applied in the ways I listed in my last post.
    You either have faith or you don't ,if you are relying on facts to have faith then it's not real faith. If everything was fact there would be no such thing as having beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    You either have faith or you don't ,if you are relying on facts to have faith then it's not real faith. If everything was fact there would be no such thing as having beliefs.
    OK; I have faith that if I piss out of my bedroom window in the morning a dozen leprechauns will whisk me away to Jamaica and roll me a nice fat spliff of their finest home-grown.

Don't you see how ridiculous and non-sensical your argument is? No less so than that random thing I just wrote above (first thing that came into my head: urine, leprechauns and marijuana - I think I have issues). :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyBoy123)
    OK; I have faith that if I piss out of my bedroom window in the morning a dozen leprechauns will whisk me away to Jamaica and roll me a nice fat spliff of their finest home-grown.

Don't you see how ridiculous and non-sensical your argument is? No less so than that random thing I just wrote above (first thing that came into my head: urine, leprechauns and marijuana - I think I have issues). :woo:
    your sarcastic and cynical, let me guess your an atheist. do you know what a belief is:rolleyes:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.