Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Question for Atheists watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    your sarcastic and cynical, let me guess your an atheist. do you know what a belief is:rolleyes:
    No, I'm slightly drunk and suffering from insomnia but I will accept the charge of cynicism - I fail to see how it is a bad trait.

Yes I am well aware of what a belief is - difference is I base my belief in measurable fact whereas you base yours in book of fairy stories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyBoy123)
    No, I'm slightly drunk and suffering from insomnia but I will accept the charge of cynicism - I fail to see how it is a bad trait.

Yes I am well aware of what a belief is - difference is I base my belief in measurable fact whereas you base yours in book of fairy stories.
    fairy stories? why are you so negative and cynical towards religion, it's a trait most atheists have, which tells alot.

fairy stories? why are you so negative and cynical towards religion,
    Put this another way, what is good about religion?
    And I'll show you how that is not the case.

it's a trait most atheists have, which tells alot.
    No. An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in God. That is it.

I am an antitheist, which is different. I affirm, amongst other things, that religion is a positively harmful to society.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, the way I see it the reasons people choose to believe in God can almost all be answered/fulfilled without him, so why believe? Also I have some VERY severe objections to some/most organized religions, because while faith on its own doesn't hurt anyone, a lot of religious organizations and religious texts cause harm to others either directly or indirectly.
    See 'the God Delusion' for full details, I went into that book agnostic and came out atheist :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerness)
    I'm Christian because I've been brought up that way so it influences my views and the way I act.

Just for the sake of argument
    let's say my family is crazy and they believed in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Lets say they have a book that was written a long time ago telling the story of the Flying Spaghetti monster. It says he lives in the sky and uses his invisible holy noodley appendages to help us with our every day lives and blessed us with everything we hold dear. Then the Flying Spaghetti Monster blessed my parents with me and they raised me taught me the good word of the Almighty FSM. Well using Christian logic the FSM must be real because there's an old book about it and my entire family says it's true and the idea of having someone in the sky watching over me is very comforting. How could I believe anything else? Why would I want to?

Christians don't need proof; they just need something to believe in. They need that comfort of thinking there's some divine plan; that someone is watching out for them and that they'll have a place to go after death. Reality is too harsh for some.

(Original post by Bearies810)

Just for the sake of argument
    let's say my family is crazy and they believed in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Lets say they have a book that was written a long time ago telling the story of the Flying Spaghetti monster. It says he lives in the sky and uses his invisible holy noodley appendages to help us with our every day lives and blessed us with everything we hold dear. Then the Flying Spaghetti Monster blessed my parents with me and they raised me taught me the good word of the Almighty FSM. Well using Christian logic the FSM must be real because there's an old book about it and my entire family says it's true and the idea of having someone in the sky watching over me is very comforting. How could I believe anything else? Why would I want to?

Christians don't need proof; they just need something to believe in. They need that comfort of thinking there's some divine plan; that someone is watching out for them and that they'll have a place to go after death. Reality is too harsh for some.
    Good post. You should join the atheist soc ~ link.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by CMJBGBWC)
    Well then what you're saying there is "I will believe in whatever I was taught first".

As you probably know already, there is insurmountable evidence in favour of the theory of evolution, and it is scientific theory (i.e. a fact in simple terms).

Please now don't tell me you believe the Abrahamic version of events?

Give up!

These arguments always end the same way.

"Well I don't care, God Did it"

Just wait and the battle will be won on intellectual ground in the years to come.

ReputationRep:
    If God can do anything, can he make a stone so heavy that God cannot lift it?

If God knows everything and can do anything, can he change his own mind?

If God is all-powerful and all-good, why is there suffering and evil blahblah? Can't be free will because if God knows everything then he knows the future which therefore must be set in stone and we are determined and don't have free will.

The idea of a being who knows everything, can do anything, is everywhere and is completely benign is a logical impossibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W0bble)
    What? You've absolutely ignored what he said! This isn't a reply!

What do to lose - you can't just choose to believe in something. I can't choose to believe 2+2=5 - I could say I did but that's not the same.

Also we're not supposed to be doing a cost-benefit analysis of whether God exists, surely? I want to believe in things because they are true - this outweighs other benefits for me. Not a case of - well, believing in God doesn't seem to cause me any great harm hence I should do it.
    That wasn't my reply.Thats a reply to a different question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieDon'tSurf)
    tbh you could argue for either one, but the one with the stronger case is the fear of consequences. If society went to pot, so would one's morals.

Whether it be out of fear or a sense of duty or morality or whatever.
    Stop extrapolating your screwed up mindset onto other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supremebeing)
    If God can do anything, can he make a stone so heavy that God cannot lift it?

If God knows everything and can do anything, can he change his own mind?
    Omnipotence in definition extens to "being able to do all thing's that are possible to do". So if God could not lift it,it would be outside his ability to effect, therefore the creation of such an object would not be within his power.

This is the generally accepted Christian standpoint.

If God is all-powerful and all-good, why is there suffering and evil blahblah? Can't be free will because if God knows everything then he knows the future which therefore must be set in stone and we are determined and don't have free will.
    If one veiws God's Omniscience not as liner but as multiple this problem is veiwed aside. Rather God Veiws every single possible outcome of any and every given situation so for all intents and purpose the outcome has allready happend, since he has veiwed each and every one of the Trillions(to the power of trillion) possbilities and fully understands them.

Thus the choice remains regardless of the outcome, as God has Veiwed what "will" happen and has also veiwed what "could" happen.

ReputationRep:
    it must be horrible being you
    No, actually - I would say it's pretty cool being me. Why do you think it's horrible? lol

ReputationRep:
    there is enough facts to say god exists

Really? :lolwut: Could you list them for me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Give up!

These arguments always end the same way.

"Well I don't care, God Did it"

Just wait and the battle will be won on intellectual ground in the years to come.
    dude, the battle was won on intellectual ground about 80 years ago. There is no intellectual battle, it's over.

ReputationRep:
    You either have faith or you don't ,if you are relying on facts to have faith then it's not real faith. If everything was fact there would be no such thing as having beliefs.
    cool, a type 3 theist.

Theist spotting is fun.

(Original post by CharlieDon'tSurf)
    + you only don't kill and skin (a personal preference- your thing might be rape) babies because you are afraid of society.
    no....even if i was the last adult alive and there was no society to punish me....i wouldnt kill and skin any babies. (or rape them)

ReputationRep:
    Atheism is just another religion.
    The beliefs of both theism and atheism are rooted in the groundless reasoning of the existence and non-existence of God. Neither are scientifically based and both are a faith in the unknown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    The same reasons that you don't believe in Islam/Hinduism/Christianity etc - minus the one you do believe in, obviously.
    yes but it is possible to believe in all of them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how people can take the bible or any holy book seriously, religion was just used as a form of social control in the old days. Why is there no historical evidence of Jesus apart from in the bible? Who's too say the bible is even a valid source of information.

Also there's a problem with the three major monotheistic religions in that, they all say "This religion is truth, all other religions will go to hell" But there are still those who will have never heard of a certain religion in their life time due to geographic location and they will burn in hell for their ignorance? Lol, I doubt such a loving god is so cold.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop and say

I know my reason for not following a religion is far more logical then your reason for following a religion. That's not to say I rule out creationism entirely, just all religion.

(Original post by Teaddict)
    Atheism is just another religion.
    The beliefs of both theism and atheism are rooted in the groundless reasoning of the existence and non-existence of God. Neither are scientifically based and both are a faith in the unknown.
    atheism is a lack of belief.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.