Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The burden of proof lies firmly with the believers, and they do nothing to ever prove it either way. 'Because it says so in the (insert religious text here)' and 'because I believe in it' are not valid arguments. If someone said that in a debate or a court of law they'd be laughed out of the place; why should religion be any different.

Most modern humans would completely ignore religion if they weren't indoctrinated from such a young age anyway...

ReputationRep:
    No evidence he exists in the first place
    No evidence that any holy book is true
    Science is closing the gaps in knowledge that religion tries to answer
    Even if there was evidence that a god exists, there's no evidence of which one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerness)
    Gladly, I'm sure I don't need to tell them what they beleive in otherwise what kinda of Muslims would that make them?

So what do atheists beleive in? Nothing by the sounds of it?
    As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to believe in in the first place. I'm no worse off for it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)

One of the claims made by the Qur'an itself is that it doesn't contain any contradictions.

"Do they not consider the Qur’an with care? If it had been from other than Allah (God) it would contain many contradictions" - 4:82
    Sigh, and one of the claims of my toothpaste is that it illiminates all sensitivity, but that doesn't mean it does that

ReputationRep:
    Christianity;

One womans affair that got seriously out of hand.

ReputationRep:
    What do you have to lose if you just believe in a God?
    This is a terrible argument, Pascals Wager poses what you said, but there's are several criticisms which render it null. Largely, believing is not a choice, they cannot be willfully chosen and one cannot defy self-made logic. Similarly to posit that one could follow religious practices as a choice as to enter the said afterlife and pretend to believe is to posit that the 'god' at hand is not all-knowing and god treats wager-induced pseudo-worshippers the sames as true believers. Also someone would have to choose one religion out of the thousands created, hence ever minimising the chance of creating the desired outcome, and when the probability of God existing is non-infinitessimal, it really renders the efforts worthless. When you say 'you have nothing to lose', you have plenty, large amounts of times spent of meaningless religious practices, rituals and gatherings, and reading religious doctrines, never mind about burdening society with irrationalism and dogmas. No one uses this is an argument for religion for a reason, it's self-defeating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    Same as above. No evidence and it seems a bit ridiculous to believe in a 'god' who made us and the world. I know people who do believe say that it is a sad existance if you have nothing to believe in but that's all it is, a belief, no way of knowing you're right or that there is another world waiting for us depending on how we behave in this life... Sorry, I'm just very cynical-minded about how this all came about and how intelligent people can have totally blind belief. Seems like a game to me - do well in level 1 and you'll get extra bonuses in the next round!

And the bible as proof? Er, that was written by the supposed jesus' friends, 30 years or so after he'd died (I think so anyway). It's only their word that's followed for 1000's of years!
    Sorry, I don't have any particular beliefs...
    But surely there is evidence of design within the world? I.e, water expanding when it freezes, so that it can therefore float as ice, meaning that life can survive underwater in sub zero conditions, unlike any other element or compound on earth?

Like I said, i'm not religious, but I wouldn't argue that there's no evidence of design/creationism... just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    There are NO contradictions in the Holy Qur'an.

ReputationRep:
    to the theists out there, God exists only in the platonic sense. It is an idea rather than an actual material object, like a perfect circle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    Christianity;

One womans affair that got seriously out of hand.
    Better expressed by David Hume:
    ''Which is more likely: That the whole natural order is suspended or that a Jewish minx should tell a lie?''

ReputationRep:
    My reasons, People use religion as an excuse to judge one another, and to seperate themselves.
    Religion is the cause to the never ending trouble in the middle east, the trouble in Northern Ireland and Hitlers reason for murdering millions of people.
    Also the bible is barbaric, racist, homophobic and abusive to women.
    Its not relevant today, and yet we're still told we'll all go to "Hell" if we dont obey it, why would you want to be part of this???

ReputationRep:
    Gladly, I'm sure I don't need to tell them what they beleive in otherwise what kinda of Muslims would that make them?

We believe in fact, it's been proven.

Answer me this, what was god's motives for making the human race?

You didn't say what beliefs make Islam stupid. I want to hear it.

And being atheist means you're not a theist, that's all. There is no definition of what an atheist then does choose to believe in.

You'll find that mostly they believe in evolution and rules of physics though. If there are gaps in the knowledge that's ok, humans are flawed and lifes questions are tough. I think we're just better at accepting that than theists, we don't feel the need to plug in the holes just for the sake of plugging them.

All that said I'm more skeptical of evolution and modern physics than most athesist seem to be. I still believe in them more than anything else, I just don't feel the same certainty that most people do, because it seems to me that a generations 'science' is always just ridiculed generations later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iffi)
    So what? I could write a tome with no contradictions in it. That wouldn't make it true; much less would that make it the word of God.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

there's also the qu'ran and the book of mormon

it dtaild all incidences of:

absudity
    injustice
    cruelty and violence
    intolerance
    contradictions
    and much more

explaining why i dont' believe in a god and why to worship any god of these books is to woship one of the most horrific, amoral b*****ds of all time

ReputationRep:
    Holy spirit? Bible stories?
    get real

hows that evidence, neither are proven

its all fiction yeah

Santa, fiction
    Dumbledore, fiction
    God, fiction

deal with it, my fantastic friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iffi)
    http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.co...a/by_name.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annalie)
    Sorry, I don't have any particular beliefs...
    But surely there is evidence of design within the world? I.e, water expanding when it freezes, so that it can therefore float as ice, meaning that life can survive underwater in sub zero conditions, unlike any other element or compound on earth?

Like I said, i'm not religious, but I wouldn't argue that there's no evidence of design/creationism... just a thought.
    Oh, I didn't mean that the world just fell into place and there's no design in it, I just meant I wouldn't see that as proof of a god. I have no answers (as no-one does) but that doesn't mean I'll just presume it has to be a god. I know, the world does seem to be planned very well by something or nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    So what? I could write a tome with no contradictions in it. That wouldn't make it true; much less would that make it the word of God.
    Read the Holy Qu'ran. Even if you do not believe or take it to be the word of God, you will see that it is a perfect guide to the way of life.

ReputationRep:
    common sense!!
    Religions are irrational and destructive. Thousands of people die every single day because of their religious belief.
    If we (humans) don't know the answer for something, we try to explain it with God but sooner or later we always find out that everything in the world has a rational and logical answer!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.