Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Atheism =/= no religion.)

I don't actively disbelieve, I just don't particularly believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGhostofODonahue)
    Sigh, and one of the claims of my toothpaste is that it illiminates all sensitivity, but that doesn't mean it does that
    Of course not. Similarly, your claim that the Qur'an contains contradictions doesn't mean that it actually does!

To simply say "it's full of contradictions" is not a trivial statement, there are plenty of people who would not agree with you. I doubt you're going to convince anyone that the Qur'an contains contradictions just by saying that it does!

ReputationRep:
    Consider if there was no such thing as religion in the world. If someone was to claim there was a white-bearded man with a staff who (neglects to) protect the world, he wouldn't get very far.
    If you were to believe in god, that would be the same as believing in leprechauns/unicorns/ghosts....

ReputationRep:
    It's more like a lack of reasons to believe tbh

ReputationRep:
    These have been taken out of context. It is easy to look up contradictions this way,but if you read the whole of the Holy Qur'an properly the statment will be justified. Do not just post something without full knowledge on the subject, i undestand your attempt to make a point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerness)
    So these 'tales' were made up by imaginary people? Hughly doubt such amazing stories like those in the bible can be made up...
    Why? Why are they amazing? Why place a a tag of truthism on such a document? Why do they mean anything, they're are human cognitised concepts.

The fact that God was atually a person in my eyes, that makes it believable and the fact that there is written proof about him...
    It just seems like more common sense to believe in a person than what you've stated.
    That's not proof by any definition.

Proof is "any factual evidence that helps to establish the truth of something" - this isn't factual in the slightest, any more so than any other great fictions.

ReputationRep:
    Mostly common sense and the contraictory nature of religion...

Also, if there were a God, why did he make me an atheist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iffi)
    Read the Holy Qu'ran. Even if you do not believe or take it to be the word of God, you will see that it is a perfect guide to the way of life.
    I have, it is so clearly a load of Arab nonsense I was actually dissapointed...all my life I had heard people bigging it up, like yourself. I preferred the bible as a literacy work. The Qu'ran was obsessed with unbeliever this unbeliever that, honestly Allah should learn to chillax.

ReputationRep:
    Can a Christian please tell me why this God guy tried to ethnically cleanse the haitians by making a earthquake?

ReputationRep:
    Because everybody is entitled to their own belief system. If they feel they don't need to know that there's somebody there for them , leave them to it.

I personally believe there is someone out there, but that they will not directly intervene, and do not want paying homage to. If they did, why don't they force us to bow down to them and flog us if we don't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evodario)
    Can a Christian please tell me why this God guy tried to ethnically cleanse the haitians by making a earthquake?
    God can't control natural disasters - he doesn't control everything does he now?

ReputationRep:
    because if there was a god ****** things wouldnt happen that and there being no proof

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=evodario]Can a Christian please tell me why this God guy tried to ethnically cleanse the haitians by making a earthquake?[/QUOTE

because god doesn't exist? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iffi)
    These have been taken out of context. It is easy to look up contradictions this way,but if you read the whole of the Holy Qur'an properly the statment will be justified. Do not just post something without full knowledge on the subject, i undestand your attempt to make a point.
    ok how about this then - if its such a good guide on how to lead your life, why do you not follow it?

Whosoever will, let him believe, and whosoever will, let him disbelieve. 18:29

Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion. 109:6

Ohno! wait, you are!!

If they ... assail your religion, then fight the heads of disbelief. ...
    Fight them! Allah will chastise them at your hands, and He will lay them low and give you victory over them 9:12-14

My bad!

(Original post by CandyFlipper)
    The same reasons that you don't believe in Islam/Hinduism/Christianity etc - minus the one you do believe in, obviously.
    What?

ReputationRep:
    God can't control natural disasters - he doesn't control everything does he now?
    Then do you propose the Crab People created the great flood and told Noah to build an ark?

(Original post by Lou Reed)
    don't turn this into christianity vs islam please...
    Why not?

They could act like matter and anti-matter and annihilate each other ... and there shall be peace (oh wait, we still have Judaism :P)

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to spam you with Carl Sagan quotes. Because he has a way with words that I could never hope to achieve. The world with God in it is a much more depressing place. "God made it so," is never an explanation for anything, and underestimates the beauty and sheer wonder of the world as it is. The belief in the existence of God just puts a blinker on the search for what is true, and real, and is an excuse for all kinds of wrongdoings and wrongthinkings.

"The major religions on the Earth contradict each other left and right. You can't all be correct. And what if all of you are wrong? It's a possibility, you know. You must care about the truth, right? Well, the way to winnow through all the differing contentions is to be skeptical. I'm not any more skeptical about your religious beliefs than I am about every new scientific idea I hear about. But in my line of work, they're called hypotheses, not inspiration and not revelation."

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant?' Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.' "

"Who is more humble? The scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved?"

"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."

ReputationRep:
    i'm catholic, so naturally i believe in God, but i'd say that people who don't believe in God largely don't because they need proof to believe in something - there's a word - a really fancy, impressive word for people like this from my year 11 philosophy days but it escapes me, people are different, some people are satisfied with faith alone some aren't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    The same reasons that you don't believe in Islam/Hinduism/Christianity etc - minus the one you do believe in, obviously.
    erfwerf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.