Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by teh_samby)
    (Atheism =/= no religion.)
    What does this mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evodario)
    Can a Christian please tell me why this God guy tried to ethnically cleanse the haitians by making a earthquake?
    Maybe he/she doesn't exist, or is evil :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerness)
    God can't control natural disasters - he doesn't control everything does he now?
    Did God not create everything though. Are you sayings God created nature to do his dirty work for him, so he can keep his hands clean? If Christian beliefs are true, everything traces back to God, all the suffering in the world is his doing. Next time you hurt yourself, remember it was god that hurt you.

ReputationRep:
    Give me a definition of god and I'll tell you why/if I don't believe in it. As you seem to be going for the Biblical version, I don't believe in that god partly because I object to the Bible's content. The god of the Bible seems to be strongly biased towards a small group of people in a particular geographical location and commands them to do horrific things to others in the Old Testament. He needs people to worship him and if they don't, he sends them into the fiery pit of hell for all eternity. When he's not happy with the way people are behaving, he sends natural disasters and plagues to eliminate them. If people talk to him, he might consider saving a few. If not, it just wasn't his will. If this god exists, he repulses me and I would never worship him. However, I find it much more likely that the Bible was written by ordinary men in that particular location they claim was favoured by god - just like every other religion.

I wouldn't rule out the existence of a higher power altogether, but I don't believe that if such a power existed, it would have any desire to be worshipped by humans and certainly wouldn't interfere in the world at their request through prayer, nor would it set arbitrary rules and then 'judge' those who failed to follow them after death and send them to paradise or hell on that basis. I imagine that if something existed outside time with the power to create, it wouldn't resemble religious ideas about god at all and our belief or disbelief in it would be irrelevant. I don't see reason to believe that such a thing exists, but I think quantum theory has shown us that some things are beyond our comprehension and that our inability to conceive of something does not mean it doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    There's no invisible man
    And perhaps you're an idiot if you can't grasp the irony.
    ...but he loves you (;

ReputationRep:
    What are your reasons for not believing in a God or religion?!

This is a really short message but I'd like to see what people say first then I'll contribute
    I think the bible is a good tool to use in order to learn morals etc, however the reason I don't take things like turning water into wine is the lack of proper ('opinion-less') evidence (ie real evidence and not simply a discussion where everyone gives their viewpoints).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    I have, it is so clearly a load of Arab nonsense I was actually dissapointed...all my life I had heard people bigging it up, like yourself. I preferred the bible as a literacy work. The Qu'ran was obsessed with unbeliever this unbeliever that, honestly Allah should learn to chillax.
    This is your opinion, i see. I actually prefer the teachings and guidance of the Holy Qur'an and in my opinion bigging it up is just a sign to say that it really is the best 'literacy work' to follow.That is where you are wrong, if you read the Qur'an properly and take in its meaning properly, you will find that it is not obsessed with unbeliever stuff, instead it is comparing an islamic way of life to that of an unbeliever. It is up to the person if they want to follow either path, nonetheless, i think following an islamic path not only gives me piece of mind, but i am a better person when i follow the teachings of islam.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he/she doesn't exist, or is evil :shifty:
    I'm sure those people in Pompeii thought exactly the same thing when the laval was oozing to them ^^

ReputationRep:
    God can't control natural disasters - he doesn't control everything does he now?
    So a guy who created the entire universe in all its complexity within 6 days can't stop an earthquake? You've basically just denied the omnipotence of God (which is part of what supposedly makes him God)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tenhornedbeast)
    ...but he loves you (;
    And he needs MONEY!....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iffi)
    This is your opinion, i see. I actually prefer the teachings and guidance of the Holy Qur'an and in my opinion bigging it up is just a sign to say that it really is the best 'literacy work' to follow.That is where you are wrong, if you read the Qur'an properly and take in its meaning properly, you will find that it is not obsessed with unbeliever stuff, instead it is comparing an islamic way of life to that of an unbeliever. It is up to the person if they want to follow either path, nonetheless, i think following an islamic path not only gives me piece of mind, but i am a better person when i follow the teachings of islam.
    I don't care about the Islamic path, the Islamic path is dull and boring. I like drinking, pre-marital sex, bacon and free-thought. I find it odd why a book makes you a better person, anyway...Islam will decline one day, just like Christianity is today

Also why did Allah hate dinosaurs? He commited dinosaur genocide didn't he...didn't even mention the critters in the Qu'ran. Until we pesky humans decided to start digging up their bones couple 'a' hundred years ago.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about the Islamic path, the Islamic path is dull and boring. I like drinking, pre-marital sex, bacon and free-thought. I find it odd why a book makes you a better person, anyway...Islam will decline one day, just like Christianity is today
    Don't think so bro. One has to only take a glimpse at the rate Islam's growing to get an idea of what momentum the religion has

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straightpath)
    Don't think so bro. One has to only take a glimpse at the rate Islam's growing to get an idea of what momentum the religion has
    You also have to take a glance of the growing 'atheist and non-religious' figures aswell....

ReputationRep:
    Holy spirit? Bible stories?
    Stories, exactly. I'm almost bored of these conversations now - it's always the same stuff being asked/said every time. Pointless, imo, because there's ignorance on both 'sides'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tenhornedbeast)
    ...but he loves you (;
    I lol'd when he said it :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapory)
    ok how about this then - if its such a good guide on how to lead your life, why do you not follow it?

Whosoever will, let him believe, and whosoever will, let him disbelieve. 18:29

Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion. 109:6

Ohno! wait, you are!!

If they ... assail your religion, then fight the heads of disbelief. ...
    Fight them! Allah will chastise them at your hands, and He will lay them low and give you victory over them 9:12-14

My bad!
    You have taken this out of context. Maybe i should clarify that when i said the Holy Qur'an is a guide on how to live your life, i do not mean it in the sense that you must fight. Islam does not teach this, in fact this has been used in the wrong way to assume that it does. Islam is a beautiful religion that is a way of life. I assume you have read the Qur'an or studided its passages, you will see that there are solutions for problems and concepts on how to be a better person and live peacefully, but some people have done wrong by taking pasages out of context and making it look bad when really it is not because they havent fully understood it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    God bless the pig. Where would we be without you.
    Ditto, I worship the pig god...he says I can't drink Oringina and Perrier (he hates the French for some reason). Everybody must respect my religon :mad: The pig god is peaceful, although he does say that we can beat our wives...providing we call them Babe or Napolean. By the way Animal Farm and Winne-the-Pooh are our holy books. The main tennant of my faith is to always eat leftovers. Any sceptics will go to hellfire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straightpath)
    Growth and inevitable failure, Christianity fell and then grew again in the late 19th century, before falling again. As the Middle East and Africa develops people will get sick of silly superstition and it will be relegated to the sidelines, it happens everywhere...maybe not in my lifetime, hopefully my childrens. It is only so strong amongst European muslim youth because of a desire for cultural identity and excessive brainwashing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    What does this mean?
    I mean just because a person doesn't believe in God doesn't mean that they don't consider themselves as belonging to a religion. I don't believe in God but I do have a religion (Buddhism). And yes, yes, some people think it's not a religion, and it's really debateable, but it does involve rebirth etc, and I'm tired of being shunned out of religious discussions because my religion "isn't a religion".

Sorry, having a bit of a rant there. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSteed24)
    i'm catholic, so naturally i believe in God, but i'd say that people who don't believe in God largely don't because they need proof to believe in something - there's a word - a really fancy, impressive word for people like this from my year 11 philosophy days but it escapes me, people are different, some people are satisfied with faith alone some aren't
    Empiricists?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.