Hi there,

I am a EU student trying to figure out which bank to choose. I would like:

a classic bank account
a savings account
a Visa card
online banking
no overdraft
no monthly fees

Which bank's basic account is best for this and has the highest interest rate on the savings account? I'm hesitating between Lloyds, Natwest and Barclays. I've done quite a bit of research but I must admit I find all the banks' information confusing :o: Banking in the UK is quite different from here. Any advice on what banks to choose or avoid from personal experience is welcome!

Thanks in advance
MizzlaMiz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't know which bank account to go for, but I do know that some cashback sites will offer you money for opening a bank account by using a link from their site... I got £45 for opening an Alliance and Leicester current account...

Mine actually sounds ideal for you, I had a fixed interest rate of 5% for the first year (but i'm not sure whether that offer's going on still) and I have a visa debit card...

I'm not going to offer any advice other than opening it online through a cashback site, because I know nothing about banking. I hope you find what you're looking for
caraa91
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Natwest pretty much offer this aswell with Visa debit.
Straightpath
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They're all as bad as each other
MizzlaMiz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...t-bank-account

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=1875185

I just found this while I was looking for free things, it may or may not help. Bon chance
Ines24
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by MizzlaMiz)
I don't know which bank account to go for, but I do know that some cashback sites will offer you money for opening a bank account by using a link from their site... I got £45 for opening an Alliance and Leicester current account...

Mine actually sounds ideal for you, I had a fixed interest rate of 5% for the first year (but i'm not sure whether that offer's going on still) and I have a visa debit card...

I'm not going to offer any advice other than opening it online through a cashback site, because I know nothing about banking. I hope you find what you're looking for
Thank you for the tip! Do you have an example of those websites? I'll definitely consider that bank. Their website is a lot more organised and easier to understand, to begin with.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As an EU student you'll probably have to pay for a UK account. Most accounts will not be applicable to a non UK national.
Ines24
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
As an EU student you'll probably have to pay for a UK account. Most accounts will not be applicable to a non UK national.
No I won't. I asked aforementioned banks and EU-members have the right to open UK accounts without having to pay for it.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (883)
90.75%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (90)
9.25%

Watched Threads