Hi there,

I am a EU student trying to figure out which bank to choose. I would like:

a classic bank account
    a savings account
    a Visa card
    online banking
    no overdraft
    no monthly fees

Which bank's basic account is best for this and has the highest interest rate on the savings account? I'm hesitating between Lloyds, Natwest and Barclays. I've done quite a bit of research but I must admit I find all the banks' information confusing :o: Banking in the UK is quite different from here. Any advice on what banks to choose or avoid from personal experience is welcome!

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I don't know which bank account to go for, but I do know that some cashback sites will offer you money for opening a bank account by using a link from their site... I got £45 for opening an Alliance and Leicester current account...

Mine actually sounds ideal for you, I had a fixed interest rate of 5% for the first year (but i'm not sure whether that offer's going on still) and I have a visa debit card...

I'm not going to offer any advice other than opening it online through a cashback site, because I know nothing about banking. I hope you find what you're looking for

ReputationRep:
    Natwest pretty much offer this aswell with Visa debit.

ReputationRep:
    They're all as bad as each other

ReputationRep:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...t-bank-account

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=1875185

I just found this while I was looking for free things, it may or may not help. Bon chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MizzlaMiz)
    I don't know which bank account to go for, but I do know that some cashback sites will offer you money for opening a bank account by using a link from their site... I got £45 for opening an Alliance and Leicester current account...

Mine actually sounds ideal for you, I had a fixed interest rate of 5% for the first year (but i'm not sure whether that offer's going on still) and I have a visa debit card...

I'm not going to offer any advice other than opening it online through a cashback site, because I know nothing about banking. I hope you find what you're looking for
    Thank you for the tip! Do you have an example of those websites? I'll definitely consider that bank. Their website is a lot more organised and easier to understand, to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    As an EU student you'll probably have to pay for a UK account. Most accounts will not be applicable to a non UK national.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    As an EU student you'll probably have to pay for a UK account. Most accounts will not be applicable to a non UK national.
    No I won't. I asked aforementioned banks and EU-members have the right to open UK accounts without having to pay for it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.