Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone else got this condition? Photic sneeze reflex watch

ReputationRep:
    Photic sneeze reflex is an autosomal dominant hereditary trait which causes sneezing (due to naso-ocular reflex) when exposed suddenly to bright light, possibly many times consecutively. It is also referred to as photic sneeze response, sun sneezing, photogenic sneezing, the photosternutatory reflex, being photo sensitive, allergic to the sun, ACHOO syndrome, and Achooism,[citation needed] named after the sound made when sneezing, along with its related backronym Autosomal dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst syndrome. The condition affects 18-35% of the human population and is more common in caucasians.
    Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex

for ages I never knew I had this but whenever I go upstairs (my room is in the cellar, has been for about a year but I had this before I lived here) I sneeze. The change in light just gives me the sneezes XD or when I turn on a light at night...I'm liable to sneezing. Also looking up in the sky when it's super sunny or at least really blue will make me sneeze.

Just wondering if anyone else has got this neither of my parents do, which goes against the whole thing of it being heredity.

ReputationRep:
    I do! And so does my Mum. My Dad just thinks we're both crazy.

ReputationRep:
    I have it too :]
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah, I heard about a quarter of people have it.
    I don't, but I think my brother might. He always used to sneeze like mad in the mornings.

ReputationRep:
    I have it. And so does a friend and we keep sneezing at the same time whenever we go outside :P

ReputationRep:
    Yep
    My Mum does too

ReputationRep:
    Nope. But it seems quite helpful at times when you feel like you're about to sneeze and you don't, which sucks :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lasuil)
    Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex

for ages I never knew I had this but whenever I go upstairs (my room is in the cellar, has been for about a year but I had this before I lived here) I sneeze. The change in light just gives me the sneezes XD or when I turn on a light at night...I'm liable to sneezing. Also looking up in the sky when it's super sunny or at least really blue will make me sneeze.

Just wondering if anyone else has got this neither of my parents do, which goes against the whole thing of it being heredity.
    THANK YOU! Finally a name for it! People think i'm nuts when I ask them if they look at bright light and need to sneeze.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    Nope. But it seems quite helpful at times when you feel like you're about to sneeze and you don't, which sucks :P
    I use it that way too! Nothing like looking up into the bright blue sky when a sneeze has passed but you wanted it XD

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, I don't think I have the polymorphism though; I think everyone can induce a sneeze on purpose with light sometimes.

Rep for this, I've always wondered what it was and the wiki arcticle will provided me with some interesting reading (using the name fom the article.

ReputationRep:
    I have it too, and just sneezed whilst typing this. Haha.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. Both me and my Dad have it. My Mum and Sister laugh at us!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I do. People thinks it's a lie when I tell them. It's kind of annoying sometimes. Like when you're deep in conversation and the sun just comes out and goes straight in your eyes making you sneeze like crazy. My granddad has it too, but oddly he's not technically my relative (blood-wise).
    I want to know what the benefit of having it would be, natural-selection-wise.

ReputationRep:
    I do. Apparently everyone with it is related :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    All the time.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I have a sneeze that wont come, I look into a bright light.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that when ANYONE needed to sneeze and looked at bright light they sneezed but the "Photic sneeze reflex" was when you don't need to sneeze but the sun makes you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they did an experiment with Photic sneeze on brainiac once.
    I get it 1st thing in the morning when i turn my light on usually, wake up the whole house

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and it's damn annoying when driving

ReputationRep:
    Bet your parents had no problems getting you lot out of bed in the morning, just wack open the curtains or flick the light on and boom sneezes will wake you up.

It seems vaguely useful actually.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.