Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone else got this condition? Photic sneeze reflex Watch

ReputationRep:
    I used to sneeze on bright light but no more, I also never used to be able open my eyes when I was exposed to light suddenly.

ReputationRep:
    Ooo, it sounds like a cool thing to have. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    OHMYGOD!!!
    I have this!!!! Everyone thinks I'm a weirdooo sneezing everytime the sun comes out!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, my mum has it too. It's really annoying.:sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lasuil)
    Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex

for ages I never knew I had this but whenever I go upstairs (my room is in the cellar, has been for about a year but I had this before I lived here) I sneeze. The change in light just gives me the sneezes XD or when I turn on a light at night...I'm liable to sneezing. Also looking up in the sky when it's super sunny or at least really blue will make me sneeze.

Just wondering if anyone else has got this neither of my parents do, which goes against the whole thing of it being heredity.

i believe its about 25% of people who have this, myself included

whenever i mention it to someone who doesnt have it they're always like 'wtf?'

ReputationRep:
    I always sneeze in bright sunlight, so yes, probably.

ReputationRep:
    I have this and people I know who don't just don't seem to understand it at all!

ReputationRep:
    I do! i found out what it was fater years of it buy reading New Scientist magazine glad im not alone!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Bet your parents had no problems getting you lot out of bed in the morning, just wack open the curtains or flick the light on and boom sneezes will wake you up.

It seems vaguely useful actually.
    It doesn't work if you keep your eyes closed.

ReputationRep:
    I've got it aswell, never come across anyone else with it though

ReputationRep:
    Omg my friend has this but I never believed her! She always sneezes when she looks towards sun

ReputationRep:
    yay just sneezed 3 times after turning up the brightness of my laptop XD

ReputationRep:
    Yea so does my dad. Tbh I think it happens to everyone at least once in their life.. not a big deal?

ReputationRep:
    the symptoms are familiar. the name of the disease sounds funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    Nope. But it seems quite helpful at times when you feel like you're about to sneeze and you don't, which sucks :P
    I deliberately look at lights when this happens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABeautifulMind)
    Yea so does my dad. Tbh I think it happens to everyone at least once in their life.. not a big deal?
    i guess it can happen to everyone once but the deal with it is it happens to me 8/10 times....

ReputationRep:
    I have that - it's so annoying. ._. It's like, any time the sun decides to poke its head out of the cloud I have to sneeze. ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    Photic sneeze reflex is an autosomal dominant hereditary trait which causes sneezing (due to naso-ocular reflex) when exposed suddenly to bright light, possibly many times consecutively. It is also referred to as photic sneeze response, sun sneezing, photogenic sneezing, the photosternutatory reflex, being photo sensitive, allergic to the sun, ACHOO syndrome, and Achooism,[citation needed] named after the sound made when sneezing, along with its related backronym Autosomal dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst syndrome. The condition affects 18-35% of the human population and is more common in caucasians

Lol

ReputationRep:

for ages I never knew I had this but whenever I go upstairs (my room is in the cellar, has been for about a year but I had this before I lived here) I sneeze. The change in light just gives me the sneezes XD or when I turn on a light at night...I'm liable to sneezing. Also looking up in the sky when it's super sunny or at least really blue will make me sneeze.

Just wondering if anyone else has got this neither of my parents do, which goes against the whole thing of it being heredity.
    photic sneeze reflex aka fritzl-nose?

ReputationRep:

I hade that. i also sneeze when i pluck my eyebrows.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.