Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! I was wondering if somebody would be able to tell me what the literary term for using "Oh..." in a poem or other literary medium would be. For instance: "Oh beautiful eyes, oh indirect glances".

Any help would be muchly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    In speech (including plays and novels where characters are speaking), words like 'Oh', 'like', 'so', etc. are called discourse markers. These are utterances that have no real semantic content, but contribute something to the paralinguistic (non-verbal) nature of the discourse.

If your question is to do with a poem, though, I'm not absolutely certain that would apply. I suppose they are still technically called discourse markers, but they're aim may be related to rhythm and metre, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Either the above, or more commonly they are just used as an exclamation.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean 'O! blah blah blah.'? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    If it's direct speech in verse, it's known as apostrophe. Otherwise, I'd just call it an exclamation.

EDIT: Also note there's a difference between "oh" and "o". "O" is what you use to address something (from the Greek vocative article), whereas "oh" is just a noise that someone makes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    If it's direct speech in verse, it's known as apostrophe.
    O, woe! Someone hath preempted my response.

It depends on the context, but it's usually apostrophe (directly addressing a person or personified object/concept).

ReputationRep:
    You both beat me to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    EDIT: Also note there's a difference between "oh" and "o". "O" is what you use to address something (from the Greek vocative article), whereas "oh" is just a noise that someone makes.
    :yep: Although such traditions have long since died; this is a postmodern world (at least in literature), do what the hell you want!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 31, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.