Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can you talk about animals in terms of taxes AND kineses? Because as far as i'm aware, kinesis is when organisms don't move away from a stimulus, they move randomly more rapidly. So e.g., can maggots perform negative phototaxis AND move more rapidly in dry, light conditions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxpenguinnnxxx)
    Can you talk about animals in terms of taxes AND kineses? Because as far as i'm aware, kinesis is when organisms don't move away from a stimulus, they move randomly more rapidly. So e.g., can maggots perform negative phototaxis AND move more rapidly in dry, light conditions?
    Well by your definition it would make sense for a maggot to move more rapidly when exposed to light/dryness (aswell as away from it) in order to escape it than when not exposed to such unwanted environmental conditions.

IF kinesis is - by definition - NONdirectional, then it can be considered separately to taxis, which IS directional. As I've said above, a maggots activity will be greater in light (if it wants to avoid it) than when it isn't in light (this is called orthokinesis), as it doesn't need to move as rapidly as it's already in favourable conditions. When exposed to light, it will also actively move away from the light (negative phototaxis, like you said). So, in answer to your question - yes lol.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.