Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently doing my GCSEs, i'm predicted a mixture of pretty decent grades, (As,A*'s, Bs) , I go to a comprehensive school, but I would really like a career as a solicitor or a barrister, is this reachable? or do the private school, Straight A*'s, rich kids only get in? thanks!

p.s I'm quite clever and capable of working hard, if it helps.

ReputationRep:
    I remember when I took my gcse's, half the class wanted to be a lawyer. Now, only one person is following that carreer, and he wants to do it more than anything else.

I wouldnt worry about your carreer just yet, do your best at school, get work experience with a law firm, see if your want to be a lawyer is still there.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    I remember when I took my gcse's, half the class wanted to be a lawyer. Now, only one person is following that carreer, and he wants to do it more than anything else.

I wouldnt worry about your carreer just yet, do your best at school, get work experience with a law firm, see if your want to be a lawyer is still there.

Good luck

CHeers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfgwills5)
    do the private school, Straight A*'s, rich kids only get in? thanks!
    In a word "No", but you will have to work very hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfgwills5)
    Hi, I'm currently doing my GCSEs, i'm predicted a mixture of pretty decent grades, (As,A*'s, Bs) , I go to a comprehensive school, but I would really like a career as a solicitor or a barrister, is this reachable? or do the private school, Straight A*'s, rich kids only get in? thanks!
    Technically, anyone with 'decent grades' + a Law degree from a good uni is capable of becoming a lawyer. And I know people who have gone on to study Law from comprehensive schools and become very successful.

Being state educated is certainly not a barrier. Otherwise an extremely large proportion of the country would have no prospects whatsoever, myself included.

So no. You don't need straight A*s at GCSE or to go to a private school, you need the requirements to study Law at university. Then you need to get a training contract or a pupillage which is possibly the hardest part but then it's your degree that matters, not your GCSE results.

ReputationRep:
    Law is a highly competitive field, but it is worth remembering that acceptance does not only depend on a strong academic profile, but also relevent experience and extra-curricular activities. There is some evidence to suggest that it is easier to enter the profession if you attend a Russell Group University, but these tend to have better graduate employment prospects in any case. My advice would be just to continue to work hard and I am sure you will realise your potential.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.